Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Finest night in 122 years"

Greatest ever day in Brighton's history?

• Yes

Votes: 92 45.1%
  • No

Votes: 112 54.9%

• Total voters

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Finest 4 Albion Days, imo
Not necessarily fan experiences, but results and occasions of huge impact to the club.
  • H - April 26, 1997
  • A - May 3, 1997
  • H - August 6, 2011
  • A - November 9, 2023

mile oak

May 21, 2023
RdZ said he thought it was. Would you disagree?
Or was 7-0 against Walsall (0-0 at half time) better?
1st win at highest level played ever, not sure can top that; sure promotions were brilliant but this is above all that in status and achievement.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It was a much more relaxing experience than Marseille was. Travel was better too.

If only we had had Marseille weather.
Hope you got home OK, we've just got indoors.

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Lot of responses here are going to depend on how long you've been watching, I think. I've just woken up on the sofa bed in my mate's house in Amsterdam and spent last night looking round the stadium, and up at the scoreboard, thinking how surreal it was after the war years, and Gillingham, and the long slog back. Somebody once wrote a fantasy piece for Gull's Eye about getting on the Eurostar to go and watch Brighton playing in Europe and coming back to a state-of-the-art stadium for a home game. I scoffed with laughter, reading it. And yet last night we beat Ajax - again - in their own back yard.

There have been other games that were more important, of course - Doncaster, Hereford, Man Utd at home first time round to secure PL status for a second season. Other games that provoked delirious happiness - wins at Old Trafford, the night we were promoted to the PL and got the train back to Brighton with the players, Doncaster again to open the Amex for league football.

But for sheer, open-eyed disbelief at where we are, who and how we're playing, the scoreline and opponent, given where we've come from - it's not even close.
Love to see that. Were records kept I wonder? Harty?

Vicar!

Jul 22, 2003
Worthing
Ok. Best day. Beating Wednesday at Highbury. Nothing has ever come close. Loved the win against Brizzy at Cardiff. Unexpected and with a sensible kick off time a whole evening to enjoy it.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I was living in Canada at the time and the game definitely was shown live. I watched it with my dad who was visiting. CBC initially said they wouldn't show it but relented after getting lots of complaints.
In Vancouver it was shown 'live' but with a 60 minute delay.

Presumably in case someone said 'f***', or was visibly drinking alcohol without having ordered a meal.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
It's too easy to get carried away but I think it is the best 'football experience' I've ever had, it was all so perfect. Enjoyed it all so much, more than Marseille - I experienced dick head albion fans in Marseille (nothing major but pissed me off a tad) and the bussing in/out was a pain, not being able to mix outside the ground is so poor (though the bus back from the game was fantastic). Higher points/greater demand for this one mean the Marseille twats weren't there, which helped enormously I think.

The people of Amsterdam, bar staff, restaurant staff, shop staff and general public etc were great, jazz and sculpures in the metro WTF!, and being able to speak English without being made to feel like a twat was great too. Loved the stadium, thought the \atmosphere was good, certainly was where I was and some great people around us.

Really cant think of a better time watching the Albion, it's going to take something to match the Ajax experience I reckon.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Ok. Best day. Beating Wednesday at Highbury. Nothing has ever come close. Loved the win against Brizzy at Cardiff. Unexpected and with a sensible kick off time a whole evening to enjoy it.
ah yes, that was fantastic - truly unbelievable getting through to an fa cup final when that competition meant so much. But I was 14 then, Ajax pipped it I think

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
In Vancouver it was shown 'live' but with a 60 minute delay.

Presumably in case someone said 'f***', or was visibly drinking alcohol without having ordered a meal.
I was in Edmonton, having moved there from England in January 1982. It broke my heart not to be at Wembley for the game but we simply could not afford the flight back. Compounded by the fact that my parents had arranged to visit us for ten days which included the final date. They were also great Albion fans and had seats in the grandstand. None of us considered for a moment that it was an unsuitable time for a visit in case we got to the final. We'd think differently today.....:)

But I completely agree with the basic point in your post......the result that day did certainly not reverberate around the world....

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Everyone is going to deep here. We had thousands in Amsterdam for a European night…. Ffs…… yes I was at Hereford

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Greatest day in RDZ reign maybe, but not in the club history.
For me, it was the day we avoided going out of the football league altogether.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Arguably there are three really high points in the 122 year history of our club.

The 1910 FA Charity Shield win
The 1983 FA Cup final
And now.

It's all subjective which one was better.

1983 was a let down by not winning and getting relegated, but reaching the final was a great acheivement that hasn't been matched.

1910 is mostly lost in history, but credit to the people at the time who are the only team in our history to win a major honour.

Our current team playing in Europe and being an entertaining team in the Premier League is absolutely brilliant. We have sustained playing at the highest level for several years now and can compete with the best. Maybe now really is the best era.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here