Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Finest night in 122 years"

Greatest ever day in Brighton's history?

• Yes

Votes: 92 45.1%
  • No

Votes: 112 54.9%

• Total voters

SeagullsoverLondon

NSC Patron
Jun 20, 2021
Screenshot_20231109_230032_The Times.jpg

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Yes, it is.

Whether or not Albion were expected to get a result, the fact remains.

They have won away in a major European competition for the first time against a giant name in European football.

And when you have stood on the windswept terraces of a northern outpost watching dreadful football with 100 other Albion fans this means more than anything else.

I started by thinking this was a win we knew they could get. I ended up just staring at the scoreline thinking it looked like something from my school Subbuteo league.

There has never been a moment of pride like this.

Last edited:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Despite the almost total lack of jeopardy, this was the absolute f***ing big time. This was the 'Big Club' moment. We may slip down again, but we have now been somewhere and won, and it feels like Different. A great night. Proud to have been here.

Mustafa II

Oct 14, 2022
Hove
Whether it's #1 or not, it's surely at least top 10, beating Ajax in Amsterdam 2-0?

It's certainly a prestigious night for us... but there have certainly been more than 10, or 20, or even more, greater occasions as an Albion fan.

The victory feels great to me of course - but I'm more chuffed about 3 points, than I am beating Ajax. We're a considerably better side than them, and we were favourites to win. We have beaten bigger and better sides than them frequently in the Premier League over the last few years.

The 'great nights' will come in the next rounds, should we qualify.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As good at it was, before the FA Cup was so devalued it was watched worldwide.

Almost beating Manchester United in 1983 sent shock waves round the globe.
I was living in Canada at the time. The game wasn't even shown live. Shockwaves, my arse.

Anyway, our greatest night in my opinion is what is greatest in my mind, not the mind of some nob in Singapore who is upset 'his' team only drew with Briton Albion (something).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I was living in Canada at the time. The game wasn't even shown live. Shockwaves, my arse.

Anyway, our greatest night in my opinion is what is greatest in my mind, not the mind of some nob in Singapore who is upset 'his' team only drew with Briton Albion (something).

From the perspective of Canada in 1983, I pass no further comment :)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Yes, it is.

Whether or not Albion were expected to get a result or not, the fact remains.

They have won away in a major European competition for the first time against a giant name in European football.

And when you have stood on the windswept terraces of a northern outpost watching dreadful football with 100 other Albion fans this means more than anything else.

I started by thinking this was a win we knew they could get. I ended up just staring at the scoreline thinking it looked like something from my school Subbuteo league.

This Tuesday 20th Oct 1987 @ Springfield Park, cold and damp on a hill (if anyone remembers the away end, no terracing.
wondering why, when…..

tonight we did it, forever in the history books we did the double over AJAX

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This Tuesday 20th Oct 1987 @ Springfield Park, cold and damp on a hill (if anyone remembers the away end, no terracing.
wondering why, when…..

tonight we did it, forever in the history books we did the double over AJAX
I went there a couple of times. A Kurt Nogan late winner in a match where Albion must have had two attacks and scored both times and, I think, just before the Mellor march.

Yes, it is.

Whether or not Albion were expected to get a result or not, the fact remains.

Well said. It was class being there, feeling it and witnessing it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here