Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film recommendations from this century

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
Just from the top of my head, some films I have loved. As a rule, I normally cry, and unlike some, will want to know what to read reviews after. Kermode is someone I often agree with. I'll try and name some I haven't seen mentioned. Would be interesting to see what people think./if they agree.

2001/02/03 - The Lord of the Rings trilogy - Epic Fantasy - Films on a scale I think we will genuinely never see again. One of the last franchises to be made before the industry turned to more heavily to CGI. For me, the greatest trilogy ever made.

2002 - Catch Me If You Can - Hanks and Di Caprio at their best. Always enjoyable despite the amount of times I've seen it.

2007 - Ratatouille - Comedy - I wanted to get one Pixar film on this list because I think they are the great production company of this era. It was between this Monster Inc. and Wall-E. Ridiculous premise, a rat that can cook controlling a human by pulling his hair, but it more than works. Also perfectly shows why we love food.

2010 - Another Year - Drama - A film that got me into films. A simple slice of British life that is perfectly acted. Broadbent is incredible.

2012 - Argo - Drama - A ridiculous true story that despite the film taking a lot poetic license is gripping to the end. Absurd plot but love it. The final scene is one of the most "edge of your seat" moments I can remember.

2013 - Saving Mr Banks - Drama - I simply love this film, a love letter to Mary Poppins. Emma Thompson is one of my favourite actors and this is a role made for her. One scene, you'll know the one, starts the tears, and from then I don't stop till the end. If you like Mary Poppins, you simple have to see this film.

2013 - About Time - Romcom with a slight Fantasy twist - A Romcom a few may have missed. Clever, sad and with a great score.

2017 - The Shape of Water - Fantasy Romance - When described, sounds like a car crash of a Z list flop, but actually incredibly touching. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

2022 - Good Luck to You, Leo Grande - Comedy Drama - Thompson again, this time playing a teacher who hires a sex worker so she can live some of the fantasies she's always wanted to. Interesting discussion into the morality of sex work. So funny. So sad. So good.

2022 - My Old School - Documentary - Watched this on a flight, and had never heard of the story it was based on; about a man in the mid 90s in Scotland that went back to his old school as a 30 something year old, pretending to be a "normal" student. Truly fascinating and incredibly well made. Can't stop thinking about it.

Hope this doesn't bore people. May post another list as I think of them.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
A Monster Calls. One of the best films of the last 5 years. If you are not moved to tears at the end you might want to check you still have a pulse. 96 out of 100

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Manchester… is heartbreaking. Casey Affleck is superb in that .
I totally agree. Casey Affleck gave one of the greatest acting performances of all time in that film

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For pure enjoyment and brain switched off, whizz bangery, you can’t get much better than the Jurassic World trilogy, for my money.
I’ll often stick one on just to pass an evening.

I thought The Founder with Michael Keaton was a total hidden gem. The story of Ray Kroc, the sort of founder of McDonalds.

I’ve put the trailer here because I think it’s great.

I can’t recommend this film enough. Directed by John Lee Hancock, who directed Saving Mr Banks.

Give it a go. Keaton is sublime.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Just from the top of my head, some films I have loved. As a rule, I normally cry, and unlike some, will want to know what to read reviews after. Kermode is someone I often agree with. I'll try and name some I haven't seen mentioned. Would be interesting to see what people think./if they agree.

2001/02/03 - The Lord of the Rings trilogy - Epic Fantasy - Films on a scale I think we will genuinely never see again. One of the last franchises to be made before the industry turned to more heavily to CGI. For me, the greatest trilogy ever made.

2002 - Catch Me If You Can - Hanks and Di Caprio at their best. Always enjoyable despite the amount of times I've seen it.

2007 - Ratatouille - Comedy - I wanted to get one Pixar film on this list because I think they are the great production company of this era. It was between this Monster Inc. and Wall-E. Ridiculous premise, a rat that can cook controlling a human by pulling his hair, but it more than works. Also perfectly shows why we love food.

2010 - Another Year - Drama - A film that got me into films. A simple slice of British life that is perfectly acted. Broadbent is incredible.

2012 - Argo - Drama - A ridiculous true story that despite the film taking a lot poetic license is gripping to the end. Absurd plot but love it. The final scene is one of the most "edge of your seat" moments I can remember.

2013 - Saving Mr Banks - Drama - I simply love this film, a love letter to Mary Poppins. Emma Thompson is one of my favourite actors and this is a role made for her. One scene, you'll know the one, starts the tears, and from then I don't stop till the end. If you like Mary Poppins, you simple have to see this film.

2013 - About Time - Romcom with a slight Fantasy twist - A Romcom a few may have missed. Clever, sad and with a great score.

2017 - The Shape of Water - Fantasy Romance - When described, sounds like a car crash of a Z list flop, but actually incredibly touching. Well worth a watch if you haven't seen it.

2022 - Good Luck to You, Leo Grande - Comedy Drama - Thompson again, this time playing a teacher who hires a sex worker so she can live some of the fantasies she's always wanted to. Interesting discussion into the morality of sex work. So funny. So sad. So good.

2022 - My Old School - Documentary - Watched this on a flight, and had never heard of the story it was based on; about a man in the mid 90s in Scotland that went back to his old school as a 30 something year old, pretending to be a "normal" student. Truly fascinating and incredibly well made. Can't stop thinking about it.

Hope this doesn't bore people. May post another list as I think of them.
Might dip into some of those, because Ratatouille is an utter delight.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
For pure enjoyment and brain switched off, whizz bangery, you can’t get much better than the Jurassic World trilogy, for my money.
I’ll often stick one on just to pass an evening.

I thought The Founder with Michael Keaton was a total hidden gem. The story of Ray Kroc, the sort of founder of McDonalds.

I’ve put the trailer here because I think it’s great.

I can’t recommend this film enough. Directed by John Lee Hancock, who directed Saving Mr Banks.

Give it a go. Keaton is sublime.

My issue with the Jurassic World Trilogy is yes, they are alright, but compared to the original, it just doesn't live up to that, and I know how good they could have been. Especially Dominion, they could have done SO much with that cast, and they really didn't!

Agreed with The Founder though, very much enjoyed that.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Although i hadn't thought of it, Manchester by the Sea would definitely be in the selection of top films from this century. What shines the brightest for me is A Separation. Farhadi's films that followed couldn't match it, but his films are full of subtle commentary and potent personal drama. I seem to appreciate being rendered helpless and softly wounded by cinema.
I'd have Son of Saul in there for its immersive onslaught. It Follows too for its ability to capture teenage life in with the horror.
Like Father Like Son had me a-shiver in moments without realising i was about to be.
Moonlight is a very correct pick. The sheer lust that encapsulated so many of those later scenes.
Mad Max: Fury Road just astonished.
Boyhood is worthy of another watch.

They're mostly the ones that come to mind.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
My big little one (the Potter fan) is now 37!

The little little on (12) isn't really into Potter, sadly.
I was sat on a bench in Hull a few years ago, and a mother walked past with her young (maybe 10 years old) son. She was trying to get him to read more.
Mother: "How about those Harry Potter books? Lots of people like those."
Little shit: "Oh, but they're so old."
I wasn't happy with this. I am assured they eventually recovered the lad from the Humber.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Mesrine parts one and two
A Prophet
Gangs of Wasseypur
Leave no trace
The survivalist
Calibre
The social network
Gladiator
Mad Max: Fury Road
24 hour party people
The stranger
Narc
There will be blood
The sound of metal
Moneyball

Last edited:

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Phantom of the open (2021) - Maurice Flitcroft, a dreamer and unrelenting optimist, manages to gain entry to the 1976 British Open Golf Championship qualification round despite being a complete novice.

Hacksaw Ridge (2016) - World War II American Army Medic Desmond T. Doss, who served during the Battle of Okinawa, refuses to kill people and becomes the first man in American history to receive the Medal of Honor without firing a shot.

The Birth of a Nation (2016) - Nat Turner, a literate slave and preacher in the antebellum South, orchestrates an uprising.

Free State of Jones (2016) - A disillusioned Confederate army deserter returns to Mississippi and leads a militia of fellow deserters and women in an uprising against the corrupt local Confederate government.

A United Kingdom (2016) - The story of King Seretse Khama of Botswana and how his loving but controversial marriage to a British white woman, Ruth Williams, put his kingdom into political and diplomatic turmoil.

Amy (2015) - Archival footage and personal testimonials present an intimate portrait of the life and career of British singer/songwriter Amy Winehouse.

Hidden Figures (2016) - The story of a team of female African-American mathematicians who served a vital role in NASA during the early years of the U.S. space program.

Darkest Hour (2017) - In May 1940, the fate of World War II hangs on Winston Churchill, who must decide whether to negotiate with Adolf Hitler, or fight on knowing that it could mean the end of the British Empire.

First Man (2018) - A look at the life of the astronaut, Neil Armstrong, and the legendary space mission that led him to become the first man to walk on the Moon on July 20, 1969.

Only The Brave - Based on the true story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots, a group of elite firefighters who risk everything to protect a town from a historic wildfire.

In the heart of the sea (2017) - A recounting of a New England whaling ship's sinking by a giant whale in 1820, an experience that later inspired the great novel Moby-Dick.

Vice (2018) - The story of Dick Cheney, an unassuming bureaucratic Washington insider, who quietly wielded immense power as Vice President to George W. Bush, reshaping the country and the globe in ways that are still felt today.

Dark waters (2019) - A corporate defense attorney takes on an environmental lawsuit against a chemical company that exposes a lengthy history of pollution.

'71 (2014) - In 1971, a young and disoriented British soldier is accidentally abandoned by his unit following a riot on the deadly streets of Belfast.

Arthropoid (2016) - Based on the extraordinary true story of Operation Anthropoid, the WWII mission to assassinate SS General Reinhard Heydrich, the main architect behind the Final Solution and the Reich's third in command after Hitler and Himmler.

Their finest hours (2016) - The Coast Guard makes a daring rescue attempt off the coast of Cape Cod after a pair of oil tankers are destroyed during a blizzard in 1952.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here