Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2023

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Went with a chum who appreciates action fare to the Dome in Worthing to watch John Wick 4 this afternoon.

Obviously a lovely cinema and £3.20 a ticket.
Can’t grumble.

It’s the same plot as JW3 with different set pieces. And I thoroughly enjoyed it. It’s a bit bloody long but plenty to keep our attention.

I enjoyed the Purple German and the action scene at the Arc De Triumph.

Just an enjoyable whizz-bang action flick with ingenious gun play and great car chases.

Yeah, was good .

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There is a post credit scene in John Wick 4 in case anyone is interested.

Caine (Donny Yen - the blind assassin) is seen on a public street, and you can hear his daughter playing the violin somewhere nearby, as he makes his way in her general direction we also see Akira (Rina Sawayama - the concierge at Osaka Continental) approaches and pulls out a small blade. As they get closer, the scene ends.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Thoroughly enjoyed JW4 yesterday. We all watched JW3 prior to going, to get back up to speed with the basic storyline/what happened at the end of JW3. I was a bit wary due to the running time and wondering how another JW film could sustain the interest but while the plot itself was a little bit of a McGuffin, it was a breathless piece of action cinema, worth seeing on the big screen.

The fight choreography was extremely impressive - other than the aforementioned Arc de Triomphe scene, and the steps scene, there's an incredible overhead sequence which hinted at how well arranged the fights are.

There's talk of a JW5 potentially; next year sees Ballerina released, which is set between JW3-4, and stars Ana de Arnas alongside the normal cast. Thought she was great in the action role in Bond, and wanted to see more of her character, so suspect this will offer that.

Kojakker

Jun 10, 2022
Saw Air last night. Mix of Moneyball and Ford v Ferrari/Le Mans 66, with a fab 80s montage to kick things off. Enjoyed it, but also came away feeling like I’d seen a feature length ad for Nike.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Just back from seeing 65. Meh, is all I can really say about it. Not a bad film, but just seemed to be going through the motions much of the time.
First of all, what are the chances of arriving JUST as the meteorite which wiped out the dinosaurs was about to hit? What happened once they flew away from the planet? Why was Driver's character so seemingly lacking in interest or empathy for the girl, particularly in light of his own daughter?

It's not a major surprise that Sony moved its release date FIVE times and it does seem to have just appeared to get it over and done with.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just back from seeing 65. Meh, is all I can really say about it. Not a bad film, but just seemed to be going through the motions much of the time.
First of all, what are the chances of arriving JUST as the meteorite which wiped out the dinosaurs was about to hit? What happened once they flew away from the planet? Why was Driver's character so seemingly lacking in interest or empathy for the girl, particularly in light of his own daughter?

It's not a major surprise that Sony moved its release date FIVE times and it does seem to have just appeared to get it over and done with.
I'm not sure this entirely removes the coincidence, but the idea was that the meteor shower came from the debris field that knocked the ship out of it's path causing it to crash in the first place. So it's not that they happened to crash on the day of that meteor strike, the coincidence is that the initial flight took them past earth at the same time as the debris field/meteor shower approached and hit earth.
Driver had received a signal with cordinates to meet a rescue ship, which would take them home. I assume investigations into the crash will follow, the child getting lost in an overworked underfunded adoption agency, years of drug abuse and a life of crime. Driver's wife will have moved on - the loneliness of her grief over their daughter's death led to her finding comfort in the arms of his best friend. Relationships ruined, he turns to drink to get through the day, not helping his case as his employer's lawyers sue him for the failed mission. A sad mess, really.
I will go with bad acting. I think it was an attempt at something along the lines of 'my daughter was my light, without her I don't know how to connect with anyone, particularly young children'. He didn't seem particularly warm with his daughter at the start, so maybe he's just bad with fatherly emotional openness

Not that I am defending the film. I thought it was dull and a contender for the worst film of the year (so far).

Last edited:

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I saw the Spanish film 'The Beasts' yesterday in Bloomsbury yesterday. 'Jean de Florette' meets 'Deliverance'. Very good but disturbing.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
I'm not sure this entirely removes the coincidence, but the idea was that the meteor shower came from the debris field that knocked the ship out of it's path causing it to crash in the first place. So it's not that they happened to crash on the day of that meteor strike, the coincidence is that the initial flight took them past earth at the same time as the debris field/meteor shower approached and hit earth.
Driver had received a signal with cordinates to meet a rescue ship, which would take them home. I assume investigations into the crash will follow, the child getting lost in an overworked underfunded adoption agency, years of drug abuse and a life of crime. Driver's wife will have moved on - the loneliness of her grief over their daughter's death led to her finding comfort in the arms of his best friend. Relationships ruined, he turns to drink to get through the day, not helping his case as his employer's lawyers sue him for the failed mission. A sad mess, really.
I will go with bad acting. I think it was an attempt at something along the lines of 'my daughter was my light, without her I don't know how to connect with anyone, particularly young children'. He didn't seem particularly warm with his daughter at the start, so maybe he's just bad with fatherly emotional openness

Not that I am defending the film. I thought it was dull and a contender for the worst film of the year (so far).
Thanks for this, @Acker79 - agree it was dull and needed SOMETHING as a spark. Some of the visuals were very good, others...no so. The first reveal of the
dinosaurs
was underplayed when it could have been a wow moment. Similarly, I wasn't sure what was supposed to be happening when
the girl was clambering on him, which turned out to be trying to get the arm back into its socket. Just seemed to be a bit murky or muddled on screen.
I did think it odd that
despite being thrown 65 million years into the past - somehow they were still able to get (a) a distress call out successfully and (b) coordinates for the rescue.
I do like your expansion of what happened next, and your take on Driver's approach to the role. It did seem like everyone else in the cinema expected post-credit scenes as I felt odd getting up to go once the credits started rolling, and no-one else moved! lol...

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
That Asteroid City trailer looked very interesting...what a cast!

Anyway, have been watching some more streaming films over the last few days... First up, for those who enjoyed Murder Mystery (Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler in a light but entertaining sub-Christie film) the sequel is now on Netflix. Murder Mystery 2 develops the story quite nicely, and some effective set pieces in some nice locations. Got a bit of a soft spot for Aniston, and Sandler isn't as irritating in these as I've found him in the past. Apparently he did his hip in filming the first, and Jen did her back in during scenes set in Paris. There's a chance of a third film (I guess depending on how well this sequel does).

Talking of sequels...and lighter fare, I enjoyed Die Hart, the recent film seeing Kevin Hart irritated that no-one takes him seriously with his wish to shake off his comedy sidekick persona and become the star of an action film, going to John Travolta's stunt school.

The sequel to this is now available via Roku channel exclusively I think. Oddly it is carved up into "episodes" (wondered why when it started, the screen had "Season Two" for what would normally be a film), and despite the return of Nathalie Emmanuel, who does improve the film and action, my general feeling was of disappointment. It takes the central conceit of the first, and flips it. I can't see there being much appetite for a third film (or season?!) and I wonder how they could spin the story again to justify a third.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Got taken along to Dungeon and Dragons as was at a lose end.

Was enjoyable, quite nice going to a film which is not part of a multiverse and cant just enjoy it without thinking a great deal.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Went to see Night of the 12th at DOYs yesterday.
Best film I've seen since Banshees.
It's set in Grenoble between 2016 and 2019, but there's a 80s feel to it.
Sleepy French town where nothing much happens ... until 12th October.
Gorgeous French scenery and fine acting.
I was captivated throughout.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here