Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2023

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Shazam! Fury of the Gods
One of the final three films of the 'DCEU' before James Gunn and Peter Safran reboot things to create the DCU. This started with a bit of an old school superhero movie feel, like it was almost a standalone movie (it's not, though you don't need to have seen everything else in the DCEU, or even anything else - it does reference the previous Shazam! movie, and has a couple of cameos that tie into the DCEU and what looks to be the DCU in one of the post-credit scenes).

I really enjoyed it (usual disclaimer; I am a fan of superhero movies, so am predisposed to this type of fime). I found it funny, with a good heart. It was predictable, there is a deus ex machina moment late on that somewhat undermines the finale, but I still enjoyed it because of the humour, mainly. Should probably be sold as 'sponsored/presented by Skittles'.

Rye Lane
I also watched this south london set romcom. Two mutual friends of an artist meet at his latest exhibit and start to bond over their recent break ups and try to help each other get over said relationships.

Seemed quite fresh and youthful. Lots of reviews seem to be noting it as a love letter to south london and you can see why, a lot of shots of everyday life around london as the leads meander around various locales, sharing their stories and connecting.

Cute, funny, and a delight cameo that you probably wouldn't expect, that leads to a visual gag/easter egg later on that greatly amused me.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A space pilot transporting people in stasis on a two year journey crash lands on earth 65 million years ago and has to traverse the local area to get the one survivor and himself to the escape pod.

I did not enjoy this one. It was so boring and predictable and pointless. There are four characters credited in the movie, and one of them wasn't even given a name. And it was written and directed by two people. How lazy/uninterested in your own film do you have to be to have four characters and only bother giving three of them names?!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Went to see Pearl today. I rather liked it. Hitchcockian with madcap grotesquerie and a great performance from Mia Goth as the oddly appealing eponymous character. Maybe not that strangely I was the only 1 there for a 1pm showing, but it added to the chill at the beginning.

What did tickle me, though, was the arrival in the cinema of 2 very old ladies with perhaps 10 minutes of the film left. There were maggots and chopped limbs and blood a-splatter, on the screen. As the film finished and I headed off I asked them why they'd entered this disturbing gory black comedy, to which they said they weren't allowed in to see Hallelujah yet and needed somewhere to sit.

Anywho, not a bad film.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

I assumed this one had already been posted. It does spoil some of the gags, but not nearly as many as the final trailer that was released today. Seems to have got some good reviews. I definitely enjoyed (though wasn't sure if that was just the Chris Pine and Hugh Grant of it).

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If you were bothered by the amount of stabbing, falling, and beating people took in Scream VI and kept getting up and carrying on as if largely uninjured you might want to stay away from John Wick: Chapter 4. If that doesn't bother you, and if you're happy to sit through a 2hr50m movie, this is a great time. Lots of violence, mostly just for the sake of violence. There's some story in there, but that's not important. It's about fight scene after fight scene, as you'll know by now if you've watched the previous John Wick Movies. Ian McShane's teeth are becoming quite distracting these days.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Finally saw All Quiet on the Western Front some days ago; I obviously knew of the book since it's very famous, but I'd never read it. The film is very well made and terribly effective in describing the senseless loop of violence and feeling of being trapped in hell. Should probably become one of those "must be shown in schools" films, though I actually hate when that happens and films are treated as history/literary tests instead of being fully experienced as films and storytelling. One scene in particular really struck me, it was the one with the dying French soldier in the crater. Like anyone else, I'd seen scenes that show empathy between enemies in war in a lot of films already, but this one was so raw and real in its sequence of events and reactions that it really hit something very deep.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
From 29:27 a long and wide ranging interview with Damon & Affleck, which eventually gets to Air.
Even a nod to a potential Rounders II - noice.

While I'm here, although I've not listened, all this Keanu.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
From 29:27 a long and wide ranging interview with Damon & Affleck, which eventually gets to Air.
Even a nod to a potential Rounders II - noice.

While I'm here, although I've not listened, all this Keanu.

Awesome. Thanks for the heads up. Love these two

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Used my Three £3 cineworld ticket today for John Wick 4. The Raid was good and enthralling for its simple computer game premise and physical performances that dazzled. This semi-all-star equivalent has its moments of violent mirth, but has the incurable disadvantage in Keanu sometimes having to speak, and also beginning to look deniro-esque in his fighting movements. I fell asleep in 1 fight scene, it became so repetitive, but it is what it is - almost 3 hours of merciless battering with sub-Arnie one liners. I think fans will be happy.

Crawley Dingo

Political thread tourist.
Mar 31, 2022
If you were bothered by the amount of stabbing, falling, and beating people took in Scream VI and kept getting up and carrying on as if largely uninjured you might want to stay away from John Wick: Chapter 4. If that doesn't bother you, and if you're happy to sit through a 2hr50m movie, this is a great time. Lots of violence, mostly just for the sake of violence. There's some story in there, but that's not important. It's about fight scene after fight scene, as you'll know by now if you've watched the previous John Wick Movies. Ian McShane's teeth are becoming quite distracting these days.

This is the only film I am looking forward to choreographed violence and virtually plot free entertainment.. Its like lobotomized manga.

Transformers: Rise of the beasts may also be watched for similar reasons

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Rye Lane is very enjoyable romcom, genuinely funny and very likable leads.
Did you stay for the outtake at the very end of the credits?

It was just a take from the boys with their comically exaggerated streams where they couldn't keep a straight face

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not 2023, but I watched Rocketman again tonight, Taron Egerton as Elton John. I thought Elvis was great, but this bangs it out of the park.

I'm giving it 93%. And I've only gone above 90 five times.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Finally saw All Quiet on the Western Front some days ago; I obviously knew of the book since it's very famous, but I'd never read it. The film is very well made and terribly effective in describing the senseless loop of violence and feeling of being trapped in hell. Should probably become one of those "must be shown in schools" films, though I actually hate when that happens and films are treated as history/literary tests instead of being fully experienced as films and storytelling. One scene in particular really struck me, it was the one with the dying French soldier in the crater. Like anyone else, I'd seen scenes that show empathy between enemies in war in a lot of films already, but this one was so raw and real in its sequence of events and reactions that it really hit something very deep.
1917 is another great pic

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Did you stay for the outtake at the very end of the credits?
I didn't no. At least you've flagged it up to others, must be late into the credits though, we certainly didn't walk out straight away

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Having watched “Where the Crawdads Sing” last night, my unashamed new celebrity crush is Daisy Edgar-Jones. Brilliant performance and lovely to look at.

Really enjoyed the film, which was slow and atmospheric like several films I’ve seen recently, such as “The Banshees of Inisherin”, “The Dry”. Beautiful scenery, some strong performances and a nice little story.

A couple of minor criticisms; the “Marsh Girl” with her immaculate teeth, pristine clothing and perfect hair is far too “Hollywood” to be entirely believable as a, well, marsh girl.

Chase was not believable for me; very one dimensional character and I had no idea what Kya would’ve seen in him. It was half cooked. He reminded me of a stock 1980’s high school bully character straight out of Back to the Future or The Karate Kid.

But on the whole a really enjoyable film which touched me, and certainly made me want to watch everything the lead actress has done to date. She really is very lovely - although I think my attraction lies just as much in the character as it does the actress.

8/10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here