Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2023

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
John Travolta getting choked up announcing the In Memoriam tribute with a 'Hopelessly Devoted' reference to Olivia N-J.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I must be getting tired. For a moment while he read out the nominees, I thought Idris Elba said 'Todd Field. Ahh.' like he thought it was sweet Todd Field had been nominated.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I bet Michelle Williams had a moment of excitement there, followed quickly by crushing disappointment.

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Big winner tonight: Everything Everywhere All At Once with 7 Oscars including Best Picture and 3 of the 4 top individual awards.

Big loser tonight: The Banshees of Inisherin won nothing despite its 9 nominations.

That's about it for tonight after over 3 and a half hours.

At least we didn't get any punches this year. Time for bed. :)

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Really expected a bit more love for Inisherin. But I really enjoyed EEAAO so am not disappointed (other than for the predictions game I have going on with a friend (I lost 7-6 - though as we only go through 11 categories, that's not too bad).

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Really expected a bit more love for Inisherin. But I really enjoyed EEAAO so am not disappointed (other than for the predictions game I have going on with a friend (I lost 7-6 - though as we only go through 11 categories, that's not too bad).
I'm with the Academy on this.

EEAAO was the best film I've seen in ages.

Inisherin was the worst. I was expecting a Waking Ned experience especially with the cast and I thought it was awful. I obviously didn't get it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Went to see a preview screening of Pearl the prequel/middle instalment of a trilogy, following on from X (and preceding future release Maxxxine).

This is more of a darkly brooding, occasionally violent, character study than a horror, or gruesome thriller. I'm not sure it stands alone, but I thought it worked quite well as a companion piece to X. It will probably be better appreciated by people who liked the previous one. This focuses on the old lady from X. It's been promoted as her backstory, but the action is almost entirely just a over a day or two around a pivotel period in her life, rather than an epic tale of her whole life.

Shot in strong colours, it put me in mind of The Love Witch, so might make an interesting double bill with that one, though The Love Witch is brighter in colour, and more satirical in content/tone.

Pearl was released in the US last year, but is officially released here on Friday. I believe the Komedia is offering a double bill of X and Pearl.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
My missus HATED Everything Everywhere and All At Once. I stuck with it, but I must admit its epic weirdness tested my patience a bit at times. And I think at 2:19m it was probably about half an hour too long, there was plenty of rather tedious flotsum that could've been cut to make it a bit leaner.

That said I found the concept interesting (once I got my head round it), and the fight scenes exhilarating. SEVEN Oscars though, including Best Picture ?? Seems excessive to me. Was The Academy falling over itself this year to go all out on the "inclusive" card ?

I'll give it 70%. JLC and Yeoh were great, but the film itself certainly ain't for everyone.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I'm with the Academy on this.

EEAAO was the best film I've seen in ages.

Inisherin was the worst. I was expecting a Waking Ned experience especially with the cast and I thought it was awful. I obviously didn't get it.
Exact opposite, eeaao as messy, overlong and I just wanted to end, the actors are solid but Oscar winning? Rally it is a 100 mile per hour action movie. No depth to the characters or acting. Banshees and aqotwf were both superior films with superior acting (especially banshees). We all know why eeaao did so well, but does that really represent progress ?

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Exact opposite, eeaao as messy, overlong and I just wanted to end, the actors are solid but Oscar winning? Rally it is a 100 mile per hour action movie. No depth to the characters or acting. Banshees and aqotwf were both superior films with superior acting (especially banshees). We all know why eeaao did so well, but does that really represent progress ?
Not sure I agree with the last bit, but I didn’t like the movie and I loved Banshees.

slartibartfast

Sep 11, 2004
Henfield
Not sure I agree with the last bit, but I didn’t like the movie and I loved Banshees.
Banshees was terrific. I havent seen EEAAO, and it doesnt look like the sort of film I'd watch anyway. As an aside, I hated The Whale. A dismal, claustrophobic 2 hours spent with awful people, none of whom I even remotely liked or cared for. Let alone the main character.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Thought EEAAO was awful, I did chuckle a couple of times, but not for me.

My wife enjoyed it, my son thought it was ok….

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I really enjoyed EEAAO. It was original, it took risks, it was silly, it has a positive message, it feaures James Hong, and it features Brighton.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Living starring Bill Nighy.

Seemingly soulless council office worker in 1950's London learns he has terminal cancer and so sets about trying to regain some of the lost vigor of his youth.

I'll be honest, I don't really enjoy Bill Nighy's performances. He's something of one-trick pony and I'm afraid this is more of the same; "World weary old gent proves he's still got some lead in his pencil". Does Nighy ever give us anything else?

Anyway, this film lurches off in various directions and sub-plots, none of which really come to any satisfactory conclusion. One strand does get followed through, that of the sudden desire he has to help some ladies build a playground on an old bomb site. His doggedness to complete the project forms the basis of of some really misplaced scenes of his old work-mates heaping posthumous praise on a man that spent decades showing them nothing but contempt and a cold shoulder. None of that rung true.

It's all rather a depressing dirge with baffling character development and pointless diversion and side-plot. I read that the producers put huge effort in to making the finished film look like a film made in the 1950's. The time would have been better spent on the script. Oh and if you're a transport buff, the time line mistakes made with buses and trains will infuriate you.

A bit of a mess.

4/10

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
If you're suggesting "politics" played a part in Oscar success I'd say All Quiet... is where to look. It's by no means a bad film but only really notable for it's a sound

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Best film of 2022 was Top Gun Maverick by a long margin and 2023 so far The Fabelmans. I liked EEAAO the scene with the rocks on the mountain edge discussing the meaning of life was brilliant

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Watched Cocaine Bear last night. I knew it was going to be a bit silly but wasn't expecting it to be quite as shit as it was.
Although it states based on a true a story, very little is actual facts. What happens to the smuggler was true and the fact the poor bear ingested 70lbs of cocaine (almost half its own body weight!), but that is literally it, every single person in the film is fictional and the bear never even came into contact with a single person.
Dumb film, stupid humour, not for me. 2/10.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here