[tweet]1491040644567298049[/tweet]

Supporting Actress
[tweet]1491039401052610560[/tweet]

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nominated for best animated feature, best international film and best documentary, Flee was the discover film at the Komedia this evening so I popped along to see it, as I wasn't sure if it's wide release will be before the Oscar ceremony or not. It is the true story of a man who is on the brink of marriage, and is looking back on his story of fleeing afghanistan and seeking asylum in Denmark. It is mostly the main character, Amin talking to an interviewer/documentarian but they have animated it, and when he talks about his childhood and journey to where he is, that's all showin in animated form, too, minus a couple of linking montages that are old footage from the 80s and 90s. It was good, an interesting story from a perspective we don't often see.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
The Power of the Dog is a meandering borefest. So it was obvious it would get multiple nominations.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Power of the Dog is a meandering borefest. So it was obvious it would get multiple nominations.

I have to agree. I didn’t buy Cumberbatch as a rufty tufty cowboy. But then I think he’s hugely overrated.
Jessie Plemons was superb in it though. But for me, the film was a let down.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Don't Look Up was nominated? Desperate times.

Neither of these really worked for me, either. I am surprised by how much love they've both got. I was also surprised by how many nominations Belfast got, though I did like it, it just didn't feel like multiple nominee good.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I have to agree. I didn’t buy Cumberbatch as a rufty tufty cowboy. But then I think he’s hugely overrated.
Jessie Plemons was superb in it though. But for me, the film was a let down.

There were decent performances throughout, and the cinematography was impressive. But it was one of those that had me looking at my watch. Nothing much happens.

Will probably get Best Picture, regardless.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
So we went to see Belfast in the fabulous Screen One at The Dome in Worthing.

The young lad Jude Hill stole it for me. But maybe because of his age he is not one of the six BAFTA nominations.

Overall the film was good, but not great. Odd sort of ending. Some terrific acting performances.

I'll watch it again when it's back on TV, but won't rush put for the DVD or anything

6/10

I thought it was lousy.

Self indulgent nonsense from Branagh. It could have said so much more about what was a tragic time.

I just couldn’t get away from the fact that it was all about him….

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nominated for best score, and lead actress for Penelope Cruz, I went to see Parallel Mothers earlier. All I knew about it, other than the oscar noms, and that it is the latest from Pedro Almodovar, is the imdb description: The story of two mothers who give birth the same day.

So it was a bit of a surprise to see the path the main story takes, and to see so much of it being about the unmarked mass graves that were a result of the spanish civil war, and the fight from descendents to get tthe excavated, identified and reburied with family.

Still a good film that I rathr enjoyed despite the older gentleman in the duke of yorks wanting to occasionally speak out loud where he thought the story was going (occasionally after the film had already got there).

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
93 minutes??

Please report back after you've sat through it

Not a chance. I listened to Mark Kermode's review of it, and that was enough for me to give up buying milk altogether (I've since discovered that oat milk is far superior, really really tasty).

The director made Fish Tank with a rapidly up and coming Michael Fassbender in 2009 - bloody good film. It was emotionally hard, hard work, and I have no doubt that Cow would be far too much for me.

Last edited:

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
Red Rocket is excellent. Sean Baker's latest "study of people on the fringes of society". Right up my Ken Loach-ian alley. Not quite as overwhelming as either Tangerine or The Florida Project, but he continues to make beautiful visuals even though the action is deeply troubling.

View attachment 145065

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I rather enjoyed Belfast. Like many films, I enjoy them in the watching but overall don’t think much of them if I analyse it too much. I mean, Belfast is a good watch and I can see why it’s a bit dream like and sugar coated because it’s seen through the eyes of a child.
Having spent our Summers in Belfast during the troubles (my maternal family are from Belfast) I recognised some of the tropes; the grandmother always sitting in the background somewhere, life lived out on the street and in the backyard. But I can’t say my grandad dispensed much friendly advice, more a disgruntled glare if you talked during the news, the odd tut from behind his copy of the Irish Times.
This film seemed like a mix of Angela’s Ashes and Billy Elliot. I gave it 5/10. Entertaining enough.

The film industry is still recovering after Covid. Only about a tenth the amount of films are being made compared to pre-Covid production so it makes sense there is slim pickings for this year’s awards.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
If anyone has access to Mubi, Cow is streaming on there now. I have, for another week or two, so might check it out.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Just looking at the options at the pictures this afternoon and watched the trailer for COW.

Is this a joke? I can't believe what I just saw and reading the blurb I am none the wiser.

93 minutes of a cow.

I've watched some sh1t for 93 minutes in the past, but this is unbelievable.

Has anyone seen it? Why?

I have not seen it but my understanding is as to why ? To highlight the pretty sh*t life of a milking Cow, surely ?

So I just watched it on Mubi. It's something. As to what is the point - the given explanation is "This film is an endeavour to consider cows. To move us closer to them. To see both their beauty and the challenge of their lives. Not in a romantic way but in a real way. It's a film about one dairy cow's reality and acknowledging her great service to us.", but essentially it is much like any other nature documentary. What is the point in any of them? It is a largely observational thing. Show the realities or something, show something in it's natural habitat, inform, educate etc.

There's no narration explaining why they do what they do to the cows, you can hear some conversation between the farmers and the vet. It follows 2 cows; one a new born, showing the things it goes through (separation from mother, tagging, horns burned so they don't grow) etc. and a older cow (getting treatment for various issues, and so on). Surprisingly interesting.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
With nominations for Directing, Film (and best international film) and adapted screenplay, today's Oscar watch was 'Drive My Car'. A Japanese drama about a theatre director whose wife suddenly dies before he can confront her for cheating on him, or address any of the things he wanted to discuss with her. It's 3 hours long, and available to rent online via Curzon. I liked it. I paused it shortly after a secret was revealed, and when I restarted it jumped back about 20mins. I assumed it was one of those here's a secret, now we're going to go back and revisit earlier scenes from another perspective' thing, by the time I worked out it jumped back, it had pretty much caught up. Because he's a theatre director, there's lots of references to and scenes from the play he's directing (Uncle Vanya), and parallels, or reflective themes showing up, which is probably why the awards bodies seem to like it.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Dome in Worthing are showing all three Godfather films over the next few weeks.
Unfortunately 1 and 3 are showing on Tuesdays that I can't make.
But I've booked to see Godfather II and can't wait to see all 200 minutes on the big screen.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Watched the Power of the Dog. Looks and sounds amazing, but doesn't add up to a complete whole and the plot(as it is) seems to rely very heavily on at least two massive coincidences

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Troy Kotsur has a supporting actor nod, Sian Heder has an adapted screenplay nod and the film is up for best picture, tonight's oscar watch was CODA. It focuses on the hearing daughter of a family in which the mum, dad and older brother are all deaf. She has a passion and a talent for singing and has an opportunity to leave home and go to a music school, but her family rely on her and have just taken new steps that is has unsettled their work life fishing the local waters. It's difficult to describe it in a way that does justice to how much fun it is. I really enjoyed it and even I find my description a bit dull and melodramatic. I suppose it's the standard 'poor, but talented child torn between college and family responsibilities' but I really enjoyed the fresh spin on it, and I think it might be my favourite nominee in the main categories.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here