Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Just watched da 5 bloods, this has to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. I am usually a spike lee fan, I may have been missing something really clever, as critics love it. Terrible acting, implausible story. If anyone has seen it and liked it can you explain the allegory ? Anti war and pictures of race conflict, positive black images, all very clever but what the heck did it have to do with the story ? Maybe I am just stupid and missing the point. IMO the worst film I have seen since battlefield earth.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched Da 5 Bloods last week. I thought it had patches that were great, but it wasn't particularly consistent so felt frustrating and it sagged a little in the middle.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Underwater

Alien rip off even down to Kristin Stewart running about in her knickers. Just about watchable until the final 30 mins when you simply cannot tell what is happening, it’s dark, it’s underwater and lights are flickering. Making it damned near impossible to make anything out.

3.5/10

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Eurovision Song Contest: The Story of Fire Saga (Netflix)

Absurdly sweet and funny homage to all things Eurovision, lovingly played out against a backdrop of Iceland and Edinburgh. If you liked Local Hero / Mama Mia / Eddie The Eagle then you'll love this. And if you don't particularly like Eurovision/ Will Ferrell / Pierce Brosnan then you'll be pleasantly surprised. Oh, and you'll fall in love with Rachel McAdams all over again.

These are a hugely enjoyable film.

8/10

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Greyhound

****SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS*************

Captain Haddock navigates us through some deeply un-exciting waters. 87 minutes of Hanks shouting orders about rudders in a bid to save the convoy from a “wolf pack”’of U-Boats who are decimating the ships.
Plenty of “America saves the day”’ bullshit to keep you rolling your eyes. British only ever heard on comms and portrayed predictably enough with plum voiced arrogance or “ecky-thump that were a reet rattler” northern pluckiness.
As the countdown to them reaching air cover ticks away you will be expecting “Hell from on high” as the trailer promised. Nope, one chug-a-lug propellor craft comes droning over and drops a couple of barrel bombs onto the last U-Boat and....that’s it.

Utter dogshit.

0.5/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Old Guard

Middling. Some cool action shots, but not a massive amount of substance. Also, it's weird seeing Dudley Dursley as an adult.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Valley Girl
A new musical remake of the 80s film. About a valley girl who dating the high school sports star, etc, who meets a punk rocker and he turns her world upside down. Lots of 80s hits, but most of them were re-worked or rearranged and not in a good way. Alicia Silverstone plays a mother of a teen girl and that made me feel old. Stars Jessica Rother (Happy Death Day), Chloe Bennett (Agents of Shield), Judy Greer (best friend in pretty much every romantic comedy from the late 90s/early 2000s). I like them, and that's probably the only reason I'm not being more scathing about the film itself.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Film 1986.

We just watched Stand By Me.

I don't really remember it from back in the day, but my god, if you're the same dig it out, it's glorious.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Film 1986.

We just watched Stand By Me.

I don't really remember it from back in the day, but my god, if you're the same dig it out, it's glorious.

The Rewatchables podcast just covered that very movie in todays download. Not heard it yet meself, but they're always well worth a listen.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Rewatchables podcast just covered that very movie in todays download. Not heard it yet meself, but they're always well worth a listen.
:shootself:

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Watched Greyhound yesterday and whilst it was well shot, was rather underwhelmed by it. Hanks solid as ever, but let down by quite a dull script. Meh.

Also caught up with Palm Springs which I really enjoyed. It's a modern day Groundhog Day albeit pretty sweary and with odd violent bits, amidst chuckles.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Having the time to watch films in one sitting feels a tad rare right now, and with the energy to do so even more uncommon. But, with the little one and the missus in Spain, i have been mildly determined to watch anything that isn't caca del perro. So i watched The Souvenir, and i rather liked it. I mean, it feels so flat in tone and activity, but enclosed around me more with performances and subtlety and a sort artistry of surroundings that seemed to grow as the main character did in her film-making. Semi-autobiographical and painedly so of first love and class and identity.
Glad i saw it, on the compoot in the wee hours.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Having the time to watch films in one sitting feels a tad rare right now, and with the energy to do so even more uncommon. But, with the little one and the missus in Spain, i have been mildly determined to watch anything that isn't caca del perro. So i watched The Souvenir, and i rather liked it. I mean, it feels so flat in tone and activity, but enclosed around me more with performances and subtlety and a sort artistry of surroundings that seemed to grow as the main character did in her film-making. Semi-autobiographical and painedly so of first love and class and identity.
Glad i saw it, on the compoot in the wee hours.

I’ve been left rather empty by Joanna Hogg’s previous efforts. Especially the Tom Hiddleston one. However, I thought The Souvenir very good.
Tom Burke appeals to me as actor and the female lead was engaging.
Even Swinton, whose physical disguises usually repel me from her performances, was good in this.
I liked Ayawde’s ( spelling?) reveal about Burke’s pharmaceutical habits, I thought it was very well “dropped” into the dinner party scene.
A part two is due for release soon and I shall seek it out.
I liked it.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw another recent film - The Vast Of Night (which I think is an Amazon Prime exclusive). Despite all the hype about it, and good reviews, I was underwhelmed by it - seemed to stretch a thin idea a little too thinly. Disappointing.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
St Frances - Brighton Komedia - attendance 5, seats 140 - 85 out of 100 a sweet and engaging film with some good acting and decent storyline. Recommended

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
Myself and 3 friends have started doing a podcast talking about films we’ve watched. Our first film we spoke about was Interview with a vampire, our second film is zodiac which were aiming to talk about soon.
If people are interested I’ll post a link once it’s up and running.
1 of my friends in the podcast works as a prob designer and has worked in all the Star Wars films. So he’s always a good listen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here