Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2020

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hi cinephiles, a little help please.

I want to scare the bejesus out of young teenaged Stat Club Jnrs, but in a PG13 stylee.

The horror genre isn't my thing so I'm sure there's plenty out that's passed me by.
We did watch A Quiet Place recently and it was enjoyed.

So I'm after recommendations that are jump jump scare absolutely not gory scare.

T'internet suggests The Ring would be a good PG13 start.

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014

I want to scare the bejesus out of young teenaged Stat Club Jnrs, but in a PG13 stylee.

The horror genre isn't my thing so I'm sure there's plenty out that's passed me by.

So I'm after recommendations that are jump jump scare absolutely not gory scare.

It’s a 15 rather than a 12, but this is the scariest ghost story I’ve seen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Changeling...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1590673515&sr=8-8

The original Amityville Horror is good too.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
It’s a 15 rather than a 12, but this is the scariest ghost story I’ve seen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Changeling...swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1590673515&sr=8-8

The original Amityville Horror is good too.
Thanks but no, I do need it to be toned down a little.

My two are getting to be a bit 'billy big bollox' about their choice of film, wanting to push early into the allure of 15's, probably because we've always been pretty strict about age appropriateness.

As said with that in mind 'horror' has always been off the table, it's just not my thing either, so I know there's a whole treasure trove of films to scare the PG back into them, I just don't know what.

As for The Changeling:-

Angelina (Jolie) is naked and gets tortured by a high power police water hose. Not sexual at all. - I'll be the judge of that! :lol:

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
The Wicker Man.

But the original has lots of nudity, so probably not suitable.

Maybe the Nik Cage remake. The beeeeees!

Blimely in the seventies if there was no nudity for a teenage boy it was not worth watching. Different times.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I saw nightmare on elm street when I was far to young to watch it, in soothing my nightmares my parents put a voice in the back of my head that is there whenever I watch horror movies (or most tbh) "it's just a film, it's not real, that's not really blood" etc. Consequently, I have rarely been scared by movies since then (I saw nightmare on elm street 2 shortly after and found it hilarious).

I think the setting for watching has been most important in when I've been scared by a movie since (and a lack of reliance on effects or music). The last movies to scare me were ones I watched late at night, with the lights off, alone in an empty house. Obviously you can't do the empty home if it's a group watching thing, but definitely: lights off, curtains closed, or later at night. No talking, no phones. Then horror films that might not otherwise be scary, become more so.

Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark - based on a book series (so if it's liked provides further reading options). Designed as a horror movie for a younger audience, and isn't so silly that near teens aren't even close to scared.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3387520

https://youtu.be/A11tX8iu0zQ

Gah. Bad choice. Although it was PG13 in the US, it was a 15 here.

M Night Shyamalan's 'The Village' is rated 12. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368447/

The Others is 12 https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0230600/

Gremlins is 12A https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087363/

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We watched The Ring.

Lil Miss Stat was clearly quite perturbed as it was like watching the directors commentary, for the first 20mins (until I told her to pipe down)

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ

Insidious would fit the bill . Not gory very creepy and i think prob one of the best jump scares ever on film, in fact its a jump scare fest! . Love that film and its pg13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65A66nt-G3Q

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I really wanted to see this in the cinema, however it seems I missed it, I’m sure it got delayed, did anyone see it ? Verdict ?

It should be on prime or Sky etc soon hopefully
https://youtu.be/KtGlll-I_n8[/yt]

That happens to be the last film I saw in the cinema. It had a limited release - there was a showing at the Duke of York's with a live Q&A with the Justin Kurzel and George McKay, and then a later one at the Lewes Depot, but they were on the day of the Palace game, and I wouldn't have got to DoY in time, and the depot had pretty much sold out (I'm not going to sit in the front row with a Q&A).

It then had a short one week run at DoY early in March, when I managed to catch it. This is what I posted earlier in the thread:

The True History of the Kelly Gang
I think I liked it. It didn't have the absurdist humour I was expecting, or not in the volume I was expecting it. Really enjoyed Nicholas Hoult, which I rarely do. Same with Russell Crowe's brief screen time. Think it would make a great double-bill with Nightingale.

When you see the trailer it looks full of mania and craziness, but there are large periods of traditional story telling, punctuated with moments and set pieces like those that fill the trailer.

The Apple TV app lists it's release (to buy) as 22 June.
Amazon is listing the dvd/blu ray as 6 July

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
That happens to be the last film I saw in the cinema. It had a limited release - there was a showing at the Duke of York's with a live Q&A with the Justin Kurzel and George McKay, and then a later one at the Lewes Depot, but they were on the day of the Palace game, and I wouldn't have got to DoY in time, and the depot had pretty much sold out (I'm not going to sit in the front row with a Q&A).

It then had a short one week run at DoY early in March, when I managed to catch it. This is what I posted earlier in the thread:

When you see the trailer it looks full of mania and craziness, but there are large periods of traditional story telling, punctuated with moments and set pieces like those that fill the trailer.

The Apple TV app lists it's release (to buy) as 22 June.
Amazon is listing the dvd/blu ray as 6 July

Last film I saw at the DOYs before it closed too. I thought the Q&A was with George McKay and Earl Cave who became friends after Justin Kurzel insisted the cast form a punk band to bond. The results are played at the credits at the end.

I loved the film, it was very true to Peter Carey's book ... if any of it is true of course :lolol:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Last film I saw at the DOYs before it closed too. I thought the Q&A was with George McKay and Earl Cave who became friends after Justin Kurzel insisted the cast form a punk band to bond. The results are played at the credits at the end.

I loved the film, it was very true to Peter Carey's book ... if any of it is true of course :lolol:

You are almost certainly correct. I know it was George Mckay, I was assuming the other person whose name I didn't remember was the director.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We watched The Ring.

Lil Miss Stat was clearly quite perturbed as it was like watching the directors commentary, for the first 20mins (until I told her to pipe down)
Lil Miss Stat has notable not mentioned horror film since, so thanks for the advise she's well and truly back in her box!!

Last night we watched 'Say Anything'.

I followed that up with a rewatch podcast with Judd Apatow.

While discussing John Cusack's career Judd said 'stop everything now and watch 1408'.

So we'll be watching that soon enough as I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Lil Miss Stat has notable not mentioned horror film since, so thanks for the advise she's well and truly back in her box!!

Last night we watched 'Say Anything'.

I followed that up with a rewatch podcast with Judd Apatow.

While discussing John Cusack's career Judd said 'stop everything now and watch 1408'.

So we'll be watching that soon enough as I'd never heard of it until you mentioned it.

I was not a fan of 1408. I felt it laid on the music and effects far too much, like it was telling you to be scared rather than actually scaring you. But then I seem to find effects and music generally take me out of the story when watching horror. I suppose it's why it took something with such a low level effects as the Japanese version of Ring to get under my skin.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here