Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2019

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Just to say, I love Worthing cinema. £5.20 off-peak, £6.70 peak times, nice little bar and you can take your beer into the auditorium. Whats not to like ? The rip-off multiplexes can DO one.
Yep it's good and our first alternate after Bognor.
Southampton is my 'treat' cinema

Get yourself over to Bognor sometime (now there's a sentence that's never been written)

£4.50.

They've had a bit of a refurb.
I think the odd numbers, 1 & 3 are a bit, well, £4.50.
But evens 2 & 4 are fantastic, 4 is like a home cinema with about 30 comfy seats.

The thought of Chichester Gate leaves me cold.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Just to say, I love Worthing cinema. £5.20 off-peak, £6.70 peak times, nice little bar and you can take your beer into the auditorium. Whats not to like ? The rip-off multiplexes can DO one.

Trouble with the 'take your beer in' cinemas is that I miss bits of the film with 'comfort' breaks

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Trouble with the 'take your beer in' cinemas is that I miss bits of the film with 'comfort' breaks

Not to mention all the violence that's associated with having alcohol and entertainment in such close proximity.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Cinecity Brighton Film Festival is up next month. The line up has been released - opens with The Lighthouse, closes with Jojo Rabbit, and in the middle some of the stand outs for me are Judy and Punch, The Nightingale, Knives Out, and East Side Story.

http://www.cine-city.co.uk/whats-on/

I picked up an old fashioned ink on paper copy of the programme, it looks very good, like the sound of The Lighthouse very much

dangull

Feb 24, 2013

£3.50 at the Dome on Monday's and Wednesday's at the Connaught theatre.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Managed to see Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon Today with Mrs V, what a treat it turned out to be. I won't begin to explain the plot other than to say it lampoons, parodies and lightly takes the piss out of some of our most loved sci fi films and series. Great laughs from the off with that great Aardman eye for background detail and laughs all the way with some pathos too. Always, ALWAYS remember to check the background /foreground of every scene and try to check the sub-headlines in any newspapers shown or you will miss something ! Marvellous cameo from Tom Baker included among so many great moments..... enjoy !

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Zombieland: Double Tap

I loved the first one at the time. This one was nowhere near as good. It rolls along entertainingly enough, most jokes falling flat, some hitting home. Woody is fun. And there are some amusing set pieces but all a bit meh.
4/10

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fans of superyacht will be expecting this review:-

The Peanut Butter Falcon

I (we) blooming well loved this film.

The film has absolutely everything, comedy, pathos, coming of age, stunning soundtrack, superb acting.

It's such a shame it hasn't found an audience, yet.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it becomes a slow burner, word of mouth film.
As even though there was only about 20 of us in the cinema (the fantastic Harbour Lights, Southampton) everybody stayed till after the last credit had rolled and the screen was blank.

One girl was still in floods of tears when the lights came up - girls :rolleyes:,

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Fans of superyacht will be expecting this review:-

The Peanut Butter Falcon

I (we) blooming well loved this film.

The film has absolutely everything, comedy, pathos, coming of age, stunning soundtrack, superb acting.

It's such a shame it hasn't found an audience, yet.
I wouldn't be at all surprised if it becomes a slow burner, word of mouth film.
As even though there was only about 20 of us in the cinema (the fantastic Harbour Lights, Southampton) everybody stayed till after the last credit had rolled and the screen was blank.

One girl was still in floods of tears when the lights came up - girls :rolleyes:,

Still very much with the family:-

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Monos

Time well spent today at DoY matinee of Monos, a low budget high impact WTF movie set in the mountains and forests of Colombia (well I'm guessing that's where it's set, judging by the opening production credits, the fact that it's all in Spanish and it features a cow called Shakira...)

Film revolves around a rag-tag band of adolescent guerilla soldiers. They report to The Organisation and are holding a hostage, engineer (Julianne Nicholson) who they call Doctora for no particularly obvious reason. First they hide out in the mountains, all mist, rain and mud, before being forced to move camp to the forest, all heat, rain and mud. It's all very Lord Of The Flies, brutal and primative, beautifully shot. It's obviously a film with a very deep meaning on the state of the human condition, tho I'll buggered if I know what that meaning is. But deeply engrossing and highly recommended none the less.

8/10

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Managed to see Shaun the Sheep Movie: Farmageddon Today with Mrs V, what a treat it turned out to be. I won't begin to explain the plot other than to say it lampoons, parodies and lightly takes the piss out of some of our most loved sci fi films and series. Great laughs from the off with that great Aardman eye for background detail and laughs all the way with some pathos too. Always, ALWAYS remember to check the background /foreground of every scene and try to check the sub-headlines in any newspapers shown or you will miss something ! Marvellous cameo from Tom Baker included among so many great moments..... enjoy !

This - saw it last week (before the cinemas inevitably get full of kids on half term hols, and this sort of fare would be rammed) and it was really enjoyable - as [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] says, keep your wits about you for all the visual, and audible, winks to the adults in the audience.

Saw it the day after Terminator: Dark Fate, which I also found really enjoyable; a proper sequel to the original and T2.

Think this week will just be Joker (for the second time) for me...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
This - saw it last week (before the cinemas inevitably get full of kids on half term hols, and this sort of fare would be rammed) and it was really enjoyable - as [MENTION=11928]vegster[/MENTION] says, keep your wits about you for all the visual, and audible, winks to the adults in the audience.

Saw it the day after Terminator: Dark Fate, which I also found really enjoyable; a proper sequel to the original and T2.

Think this week will just be Joker (for the second time) for me...

Not seen Dark Fate yet, but I'm also thinking of going to see Joker again, might even do a double-bill and take in DF as well.

Was anyone else AMAZED that Joker was only a 15 certificate ? Some of the violence was pretty gruesome and graphic, one scene in particular.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
At this year's festival t'other week i resisted the allure of Monos as it was on general release so shortly after. I went to see it this evening, for a mere fiver, but wish i'd spent another tenner on it at the festival. What an intoxicating beauty of a film. So beautiful and mesmerising to watch, and listen to as the haunting, striking sonic accompaniment to the film immerses you and keeps you there. Up in the Colombian mountains a small troop of teen soldiers train and have a simple task - protecting a cow generously given to them - whilst the more difficult one of holding an American doctor prisoner for the rebels is seen as a matter of fact. Of course things go awry and this youthful bunch are threatened by the rules of the organisation they are in, and each other as power and naivete confront them at gunpoint. It's trippy and severe and passionate, and i thought the comparisons to Apocalypse Now deep in the jungle were few as the heart of it all felt so different.
Far better than anything i saw at the festival. And had a magic mushrooms found in cowsh*t scene.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see Zombieland Double Tap yesterday. It was fine. I've never been a big fan of Emma Stone and I oscillate on Jesse Eisenberg, but at the start of this I felt like either the film or my response to it was weighed down with the weight of all the roles they've done between the first film and this one and it took a while for me to get into it. It was ok, had some good laughs, but felt like 'why did they make this? There's no clamour for it, the story didn't need to be told'

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I went to see Zombieland Double Tap yesterday. It was fine. I've never been a big fan of Emma Stone and I oscillate on Jesse Eisenberg, but at the start of this I felt like either the film or my response to it was weighed down with the weight of all the roles they've done between the first film and this one and it took a while for me to get into it. It was ok, had some good laughs, but felt like 'why did they make this? There's no clamour for it, the story didn't need to be told'

Pretty much my feeling about it.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
Went to DOYs to get a ticket for The Lighthouse and it's sold out (yeah, I need to get one of those smart 'phone things), they are showing it again on the same night at 11.30pm

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bit late but managed to get to see Joker last night with Mrs V. Not really my sort of film but Joaquin Phoenix puts in one heck of a performance, all twitches and tics and giggles as his life collapses around him. Managed to close my eyes in time to avoid the worst violence in the film thank goodness. Only thing that struck me was that despite smoking even more fags than Tommy Shelby, having completely inappropriate footwear and being heavily medicated, he looks shoe-in for the 400m next Olympics.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Saw Doctor Sleep yesterday and wasn't sure what I was going to make of it, but really, really enjoyed it. Thought it well acted, well paced, and an interesting continuation of the story. It does deviate from Stephen King's original book, but then so did the film of The Shining - hence the approach to this film, to bring in The Shining's changes into a story that Stephen King approved of in this new film. The recreation of the Overlook Hotel for Doctor Sleep is simply stunning!

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Saw Doctor Sleep recently at the Dome. Ewan McGregor is pretty good in this and turning Scottish into an American accent cant be easy.
7/10 for me. Only watched it as the terminator film was sold out, so not a bad substitute.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here