Film 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Cineworld, i read last week, have lowered their profits in the last 6 months. Not by an enormous amount, but down from £14m to £10m, or something. They say much of that was down to the expense of digitalising the majority of their screens. Perhaps to counter this loss, they seem to have opened ridiculously early to maybe squeeze in another showing a day. This meant that at 10.30am i was in looted Wood Green to watch Inbetweeners The Movie. Me, two couples, and another lonely, balding man with a likely interest in cinema and a 2litre flagon of fizzy pop. So that's 6 people, probably all there on their unlimited cards. I doubt that ate into their profit loss. The Inbetweeners is a 15, and therefore no one of that age or a little above, the likely key market for the film, would be awake on a Sunday at such a time. A silly time to show it.
Anyhow, it was alright. I didn't wet myself guffawiously, but i chuckled along a few times, mostly at a piece of poo on someone's nose, which probably says more about me than the quality of the comedy. I had only seen a few episodes of the serieses and wasn't a follower, but this spoke of the rejections of youth and the uneducated decision-making youngsters make enough to give the 4 leads some sympathy in and around the madcap part-gross-out hijinx. It seems the serieses ended because it's more obvious the actors aren't 18 anymore. Pretty much everone being a teen had the look of someone in their early 30s. It seemed they'd gone to bed with Robin Williams in his Jack days capturing his ageing disease.
Neil was the funniest, but he's really a background figure whilst the others struggle with virginity and social acceptance.
Bawdy and unlearned fun.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Funny Games U.S. - IMDb - Funny Games (2007) - 6.7

Hmmm... Probably not best to judge the film as I awoke at 2am and found it on my screen. Didn't see the start, but didn't enjoy the majority of it. I'm quite a fan of dark films, but this was pretty hideous. Saved by some good performances and an intriguing plot.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cowboys V Aliens

I disagree totally with the above review. I was unsure and unconvinced but was forced there to watch this and I thoroughly LOVED it. It did exactly what it said in the title. It was Cowboys V Aliens ( with a few Indians thown in at the end for good measure ).

How can you go wrong with James Bond, Craig and Indiana Jones, Ford battling a whole colony of Aliens ?. Well on this evidence you can't.

Good effects, some good action scenes and thoroughly enjoyable nonsense.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Funny Games U.S. - IMDb - Funny Games (2007) - 6.7

Hmmm... Probably not best to judge the film as I awoke at 2am and found it on my screen. Didn't see the start, but didn't enjoy the majority of it. I'm quite a fan of dark films, but this was pretty hideous. Saved by some good performances and an intriguing plot.

The remake's supposed to be pretty shit and pointless, the original is brilliant

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The remake's supposed to be pretty shit and pointless, the original is brilliant

I gave it one of my lowest marks ever 1.7. Only Saw 3 came lower at 1.5. I found it reprehensible and pointless.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I saw The Inbetweeners last nite. Have to agree with MB on the review. If you liked the Inbetweeners, and have followed it then you wont be disappointed at what is basically an extended episode. Sort of this generations Kevin and Perry go large. So 7.5/10.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Quite right about the original of Funny Bones. Strange and usually failing when a director decides to remake their own work for an American audience. Haneke is one of the directors who you either admire or love, the Marmite of the filmmaking world. He always wants an uncomfortable audience and generally gets that, playing with viewing emotion and teasing of where one points the finger. Hidden and White Ribbon, for me, were a pair of classics.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Super 8
I wasn't particularly excited by this. I don't know why, I like JJ Abrams work, even if I don't always follow his tv shows (except alias). Perhaps it was that this seemed very much like cloverfield, marketing-wise (it's a monster movie where we are teased on the monster for a long time) and I was very m'eh about that one. Perhaps it was having the name spielberg attached making me predict another film about daddy issues (and one of the first lines in the films is a neighbour questioning main kid's father's ability to play that father role with his wife gone), or if I just wasn't in the mood.

I did kinda enjoy it (and I suspect most people will enjoy it even more), but I wasn't blown away and felt like I should have liked it more than I did.

The kids were not annoying, there was nothing in particular that I felt detracted from the film, I just didn't fall in love with it.

I did really like the footage that accompanied the closing credits, though.

I watched this again on Thursday night and must have been in the right mood this time, because I loved it. The kids were hilarious, and it was generally a fun film viewing experience.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
The Inbetweeners

Deceptively good and by no means the Kevin & Perry-esque cash-in I had expected. I don't think I'll laugh so much at another film all year. My favourite thing about the film and the series as a whole is the way the writers chose to continually punish the characters all the way through to the end for comedy value -not even Jez and Mark, David Brent or Basil Fawlty got picked on this much.

The whole thing was really well thought through and a fitting end to the a brilliant sitcom series. Definitely the right thing to bow out now before it "jumped the shark."

In A Better World

This Danish film beat the grim but great Inarritu-directed feature Biutiful to the Oscar for Best Film In A Foreign Language this year, so I had to give this a watch. It was so dark and sobering that it made Biutiful look like Mary Poppins.

The main themes were about bullying and the moral decisions people make in confrontational situations and I have to say this was one of the most thought-provoking films I have ever seen. Whilst I did like In A Better World, the initial viewing was so powerful and to the point, I'm really not that sure if it would be worth watching it again.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Cowboys and Aliens
I went in with quite low expectations, and this managed to exceed them. Not by a great deal, but enough that I enjoyed it. Despite the novel ideas of cowboys v aliens, the story itself seemed to follow well worn conventions, and presented the same old same old character arcs (rivals become allies and earn each others respect, villain becomes good guy, kid becomes a man, etc.)

Final Destination 5 - 3D
This provided what you would expect from a Final Destination movie, and perhaps a little more than you would expect from a 5th entry in a horror movie franchise. The deaths were creative in their simplicity, and the teases were fun, the 3D effects were actually worth it. The twist at the end was underplayed, which made it seem like 'why even bother?'

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Recently I have seen

Cowboys & Aliens. A great action/adventure film. Offers up exactly what you expect and does it well.

Rise of the Planet Of The Apes. Genuinely one of the worst films I've seen in a long, long time. Gash Gash McGAsh.

The Guard. More charming than laugh out loud all the way through but some genuine laughs and a likeable cast made this a fairly pleasent night out.

Super 8. Absolutely loved this, great acting from kids with personalities, good homages to Spielberg and the eighties in General, loved it up until the last 3rd whereupon for some reason it turned into a total piece of shit that made no sense and lost the plot literally and figuratively. Shame cos that train wreck near the start was superb.

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Recently I have seen

Cowboys & Aliens. A great action/adventure film. Offers up exactly what you expect and does it well.

Rise of the Planet Of The Apes. Genuinely one of the worst films I've seen in a long, long time. Gash Gash McGAsh.

The Guard. More charming than laugh out loud all the way through but some genuine laughs and a likeable cast made this a fairly pleasent night out.

Super 8. Absolutely loved this, great acting from kids with personalities, good homages to Spielberg and the eighties in General, loved it up until the last 3rd whereupon for some reason it turned into a total piece of shit that made no sense and lost the plot literally and figuratively. Shame cos that train wreck near the start was superb.

Agree with your reviews on Cowboys and Aliens and Super 8. Planet of the Apes though I really enjoyed. Good story some good performance and a good balance between action and drama. Also has loads of opportunities for it to develop. Really enjoyed it.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
Agree with your reviews on Cowboys and Aliens and Super 8. Planet of the Apes though I really enjoyed. Good story some good performance and a good balance between action and drama. Also has loads of opportunities for it to develop. Really enjoyed it.

Loved C and A daft and utterly enjoyable

Take or leave P of the A, last half hour spoiled it for me.

Really wanted to see The Guard but missed it.

Super 8 v average and again the last half hour was pants and surprisingly cheap looking - a bit like the special effects stage at Universal Orlando.

Reall liked The Skin I Live In.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports