Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2011

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
:) thanks Acker. Does that mean you'll rush to see A Separation today? You should, you know, if you have't already. It's a flipping beauty.

Alas not today as I have other plans, this week is not looking promising, but I certainly shall add it to my rental list if I miss it from the cinemas when my work load lightens up.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Transformers - Dark of The Moon

To cut a long story short, if you love the Transformers films you will love this, I you hate them you will hate this. Thats it really. No need for a hi brow conversation about this. It is what it is. Bay does his style of work and does it very well. Anyone going to see a Transformers film for an Oscar worthy story or acting is really barking up the wrong tree. Listen up, it is about f*** off massive Alien Robots in disguise who battle each other and kick the living shit out of each other.

If that premise does not interest you do not pay to see it ( Meade ). Just take it for what it is and if you feel you are above it, just let everyone that enjoys this type of film have a good time without being subjected to the intellectural, snobbish, superior attitude.

Thanks and have a good day.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I've not seen Transformers 3, but if Meade's Ball thought it was shit it's not snobbery, it's just he thought it was shit. There's a difference between well-made big budget action films and there's poorly made.
In my opinion, the first Transformers for me was awful, no characters, no plot and the action scenes weren't particularly well done, they didn't look real and you couldn't tell what the f*** was going on. That's not snobbery, i enjoyed The Rock by Michael Bay, watched A-Team last night and didn't think it was awful.
Just because it's an action film, doesn't mean you're not allowed to criticise it

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Saw Transformers 3 last night. Pretty good film. I know it's meant to be science fiction and fantasy and you have to suspend your disbelief etc but i find the fact that a girl like Rosie Huntington-Whiteley could be physically attracted to a bloke like Shia LaBeouf ridiculous LOL!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
A Separation
I managed to get out to the duke of york's last night for a showing of this film. It's the first time I've paid to see a movie in over a year (I have an unlimited pass, where I guess I do actually pay to see the movies, but you get what I'm saying, I'm sure).

It was so refreshing to see a film tell a story about people. It makes a change from films relying on effects or gimmicks, entries in a franchise trying to be be grosser/more violent/more crazy etc while essentially telling the same story over again, films that are sold on the back of a star name, or films that are contrived and created by committee in an attempt to appeal to a broad range of people whether it fits the film or not. Don't get me wrong, I can and do enjoy all those types of movies, just occasionally I like something different. And A Separation provided that.

Touching, involving, and thoughtful. It relies on the strength of the story and the acting of people playing realistic people. Thoroughly enjoyable and I find my feelings toward the film are stronger this morning than they were when I first saw it last night, it's the sort of film that is affecting in that way.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Tree of Life

Best not to say too much about what actually happens. The first hour is interesting and very well done, for me it then gets pretty boring for an awful long time and then plain silly at the end. Also there's not a lot of dialogue and what there is is mostly inaudible (especially by the woman). It's been likened to 2001, and for all the technological developments I wouldn't say any part of it is an improvement.
I'd be interested if anyone thought it was properly brilliant as lots of critics seemed to

Super Gus!

Mar 3, 2010
Tree of Life

Best not to say too much about what actually happens. The first hour is interesting and very well done, for me it then gets pretty boring for an awful long time and then plain silly at the end. Also there's not a lot of dialogue and what there is is mostly inaudible (especially by the woman). It's been likened to 2001, and for all the technological developments I wouldn't say any part of it is an improvement.
I'd be interested if anyone thought it was properly brilliant as lots of critics seemed to

i watched this the other day... i found the forming of the universe thing the most interesting part. the rest of it was a load of shit to be honest.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon - 2D
Ok, I know this is not designed to be anything too deep. I know it contains lots of easy stereotypes, and I get that Michael Bay seems to use women as scenery, and I know that it doesn't redefine great cinema or the summer blockbuster, but I had fun watching it. Partly the snarky comments my friend and I made to each other, partly the silliness, and there were some occasional funny lines. Not challenging my list of top movies, but a fun watch.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 - 2D
I went to the midnight showing because I am a bit of a harry potter geek, and I wasn't disappointed. The high points of the book are there, with what I think were some improvements on some scenes, some great additions, and generally a top top way to close out he story. I had a few nitpicky issues, but those are mostly because of my fandom of the book, I think (I've never enjoyed Julie Walters' performance as Molly, she seems to play her as a patronising kids tv presenter and her big moment of the film didn't come across as major as it did in the book, though I don't think that's just her, it just hasn't had the build up the books gave).

If you're not a fan of the books, make sure you see the other films first.

Watching it in 2D I didn't feel like there was anything that would look particularly better in 3D.

Also, we got a trailer for Sherlock Holmes 2 and The Dark Knight Rises!!

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Tree of Life

People walking out during this film when we went to see it. Loved the look and feel and the first half was sensational. I got the emotion and the approach but could honestly have done with being 20 minutes shorter. Worth seeing - but haven't rushed to recommend it to people.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see harry potter again this morning and noticed a Gus Poyet reference! Harry tells griphook (the goblin he saved at the end of the last film) 'it's complicated' rather and answer a question, then grihook does the same to Harry!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I was at Harry Potter last night all soggily. Not with excitement, but because the skies pissingly opened and slashed all over me as i pedalled to Chelsea. I didn't expect much of the film, but i was surprised by the liveliness of it and me not groaning more than perhaps twice (once because of some teengirl audibly wailing at the death of one of the countless gingers in the film). The music played dramatically and the action throughout kept me interested enough. It was only really ruined when some of the actors were made to act or talk about anything impersonating depth. The dialogue was feeble, but they kept it to a minimum.
Not too bad, on the whole. A couple of good set-pieces.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Now I know I am months out of date, but I watched TRUE GRIT on the flight back from holiday last week and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Its a film I missed at the pictures and was glad to catch up, especially as I never saw old John Wayne's original. I liked Bridges in the lead role and though the girl gave an excellent performance too.
However, I was distracted throughout the film by Matt Damon who reminded totally of Trampas in The Virginian (one for the teenagers as they say)

But as a piece of entertainment, 8/10 from me.

Oh and it was a joy watching the film without having the normal neanderthals in the cinema talking, kicking the back of your chair and eating skip fulls of fcuking smelly popcorn.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Bridesmaids
I don't really have the motivation to dissect it, so will simply say I thought it was generally good, not perfect, but very decent.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I had a dream last night in which i wsa being hunted down by Kazenga LuaLua. It as Terminatoresque, he the robotic mercenary determined to have me annihilated. Quite chilling. That is beside the point though. It was Friday evening in slovenly Stepney Green, my first and perhaps last visit, that i opted for a "comedy" in Horrible Bosses. The title is poor. The film itself is only slightly better. Now, i don't find Jason Bateman amusing. I blame Teenwolf Too, where i think he had the impossible-to-copy Michael Fox lupine middle-aged teen boxing. Poor. In Horrible Bosses, they don't seem to give Bateman much to do comedically, and i thought that unfair. He's the ordinary lynchpin of the fable mistreated by big bossman Kevin Spacey, who is one of the most amusing bits of the film.His two friends have a sense of being other than the regular guy, so play much more for laughs. The whole film is just about wanting to kill your boss and half-drunkenly planning to have this happen. I think of 9to5, but without any sort of message beneath its comical overlayers.
You know, it tickled sometimes, but not often enough to make me remember. Average and unsubtle.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Just ordered this little monkey off of scAmazon. Film about Columbian drug mules. The only award it hasn't won is the Uncle Spielberg Movie-mongous Statuetta (a seven inch high gold-plated Uncle)... although it has been shortlisted apparently.

41DuyvUfwXL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here