Film 2011

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Lets hope it is better than the Hangover which was hugely over rated imo.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides (2D).

M'eh. I enjoyed the first trilogy, but by the end of it I was tired of the Jack Sparrow routine. The trailer for this one seemed to me to suggest the films was essentially Jack Sparrow for two hours, so I wasn't overly eager, but thankfully it wasn't that one dimensional. It was a bit patchy, took a while to get going, and even then it never seemed to click for me. I find Penelope Cruz annoying, and other than blackbeard, the new characters all felt a bit flat.

If you go see this and this sort of thing interests you, stay to the end of the credits for a short scene. The producers are hoping to make a second trilogy starting with this, but I don't think the post-credit scene is so key to it.

I did enjoy the new orange films thing with Orange doing the subtitles to Potiche (replacing that stupid one for featuing the characters from Rio).

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
great thread

The Way Back. Saw it last night. Not the best film ever but watchable. Unbelievable how they travelled that far and a great story. It is two hours of virtually the same footage. Worth a watch though.

SpongebobSquarepants

Jun 16, 2006
Sunny Worthing
Diary of a Wimpy Kid 2 with my 8 year-old today. Have read him some of the books which work really well but this was weird. Literally just a succesion of awkward things happening to this kid and absolutely no story whatsoever. However my son loved it which I guess is the point.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Anyone seen Win Win yet? On general - but not wide - release it seems.

yeah i saw that last week. It was ok. I liked the director's previous works in Station Agent and The Visitor and thought this might continue in that mode. And i suppose it did. Giamatti i always like and he's a perfectly pitiable front man. I expected a little more, but it plods along unspectacularly and has you care just enough.

It was better than Hangover Part 2, which i saw today. It says something when the snaps at the end of the film, same as at the end of the first, were more amusing than the film itself. The first one was better, but this is just full of "I can't believe that happened"s and "oh my god"s again and again. Not atrocious, but certainly not riproarious either. The replication took the sprinkle of magic from the first and i hope the actors don't look to just keep making "comedy" Die Hard 2s.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
June

A bunch of teens get ready for their dance in the comedy drama Prom (trailer)

Screwed is the semi-autobiographical story of writer Ronnie Thompson’s seven years working in some of the UK’s most dangerous prisons. (trailer)

Jumping the Broom Sees two different families descend on Martha’s Vineyard one weekend for a wedding. Stars Modern Family’s Julie Bowen, Angela Bassett, and Paula Patton. (trailer)

Mother’s Day sees a family of villains returning to their old home to torment its new owners. (trailer)

Finally! The incredible Honey – Jessica Alba’s movie about dancer gets the sequel treatment. I can’t believe it’s taken this long. We should have pressured th studios for this sooner. Honey 2. Stars greats like The Hills’ Audrina Patridge, Saved by the Bell’s Mario Lopez. (trailer)

AnnaSophia Robb stars as a surfer who returns to the water after losing an arm in a shark attack in Soul Surfer, which also features Dennis Quaid, Helen Hunt, Craig T Nelson, and Hercules himself, Kevin Sorbo. (trailer)

Bumped from February, Star Trek and Terminator: Salvation’s Anton Yelchin, Winter’s Bone’s Jennifer Lawrence, and Jodie Foster will hope Mel Gibson public relations problems won’t impact too negatively on The Beaver where Mel plays a man whose social relation issues causes him to communicate through a hand puppet. (trailer)

Gerard Depardieu and Catherine Deneuve team up for a French comedy drama Potiche Where Catherine plays the trophy wife of a businessman being held captive by striking workers, and she has to run the business while he’s away. (trailer)

Stake Land takes a worst case scenario with the current economic climate, imagining post-apocalyptic world for this horror. (trailer)

Who doesn’t like the swinging scene? Swinging With The Finkels gives us film about just that, with Mandy Moore, Martin Freeman, Melissa George, and Jerry ‘Ben’s Dad’ Stiller. (trailer)

This year’s attempt to capture the success of Blair Witch or Paranormal Activity, is Exorcism where a group of filmmakers try to recreate a 50 year old exorcism that resulted in the disappearance of all involved. “Captured on behind the scenes cameras”. (no trailer available at the moment)

Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles star Thomas Dekker stars in Kaboom a Comedy/horror/sci-fi and the sexual awakening of a group of college students. (trailer)

Kristen Wiig, Rose Byrne and Maya Rudoplh star in Hollywood’s latest attempt to show us women just love to compete with each other, especially when weddings are involved as two titular Bridesmaids compete to organise their friend’s wedding. Also features Jon Hamm. (trailer)

Cameron Diaz and ex-beau Justin Timberlake star in Bad Teacher, a film about a foul-mouthed teacher whose sugar-daddy dumps her so she tries to win the heart of a fellow teacher. Also stars Jason Segel, Lucy Punch/ (trailer)

Other big releases this month: Green Lantern (trailer), Kung Fu Panda 2 (trailer), X-men: First Class (trailer), Transformers: Dark of the Moon (trailer)

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
great thread

The Way Back. Saw it last night. Not the best film ever but watchable. Unbelievable how they travelled that far and a great story. It is two hours of virtually the same footage. Worth a watch though.

The Long Walk (on which film based) was a great read, but much of it has since been discredited.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
The Senna doc ("Senna") is fantastic. I don't like F1 these days but when you see the footage of the old skool stuff it's f***ing thrilling.

PLOT SPOILER NOT REQUIRED

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
X-men: First Class
I rather liked this. It was more thoughtful than the last one, more in keeping with the first. I had read that the director didn't want the actors trying to copy the performances of the actors they are younger versions of (i.e. he didn't want James McAvoy trying to play patrick stewart playing Charles Xavier), he wanted to keep this film separate from the other trilogy, which I took to mean reboot, but the opening scene of this one is the opening scene from the first x-men movie, with a young magneto in a concentration camp. There were other touches that kept the continuity with the other trilogy, so it isn't as separate as I thought.

I thought this film had a good balance of action, reflection and humour.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I thought the quality of Michael Fassbender as Magneto was the main outstanding feature of a slightly weak-willed X-Men. That bloke is pulsatingly believable even when moving giant metal objects from a distance. McAvoy was a spoilt and smarmy Professor X, but still naturally charming. And Kevin Bacon is amusingly dark as Sebastien Shaw. For me, it just felt too lame in its action. No one got a slow-mo whack to their pain-feeling chops. There were bloodless stabbings from afar. If the mutants were to kiss it would undoubtedly be without tongues. If it wasn't for the decent actors, i would have emerged disappointed. Gladly they were there and making something occasionally adult from a token kiddy flick recipe.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I keep forgetting to post on here...

Kung Fu Panda 2
I saw this at the weekend and thoroughly enjoyed it. I'd say it is, or is very nearly on a par with the first, there are a few laugh out loud moments, and is otherwise generally amusing, as long as you don't think of it as too deep (and not as deep as some involved seem to think i is) it's quite good.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
The Hangover Part 2 also comes out on the 21st May, very much looking forward to that !

So was I. Big disappointment. The first film had many laugh out loud moments for me and was altogether a funny film IMO.
Last night I saw Part 2 and I thought it was poor. Seemed to concentrate on the disgusting antics of the "stars" to get laughs from the many teenagers in the audience, rather than any comedy written into the script, which was appalling I thought.
The direction bad too, with so many punchlines seemingly delivered so late that they were almost in the next scene and a number of utterly pointless visual gags, which got lost amongst the chaos.

The Hangover Part 2 is why sequels get a bad name. Wish I had given it a miss and just got Part 1 out on DVD.

3/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Green Lantern - 3D
I enjoyed this. It didn't remake the conventions of superhero or action movies, but was decent enough. It has flaws, sub-stories just get dropped, there is little coverage of repercussions, but there are plenty of decent enough lines or moments, and ryan reynolds's charm carries the movie to a certain level. I thougt this one might make use of 3D, but it really didn't.

Though, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I am a bit of a fan of superhero movies, so probably enjoyed it more because of that.

Speaking of 3D, I've struggled to see what was going on in the transformers trailer, but in 3D (the 3d version of the trailer accompanied green lantern) it actually was easier to follow.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I might seem the sort who groans a lot in cinemas, and maybe i do more than the regular goer. That isn't to make myself some arty elitist, but more, i believe, to put myself as the walrussy type. A bewhiskered, natural grumbler over anything i see, or any slightly-smaller-than-i lady-blunderbus than i want to wriggle toward and squash sexually. Today, i giggled a lot inside the groans during Stakeland. Ok ok ok i missed the first couple of minutes of the film. Maybe that would have changed everything i believed in what followed, but i doubt it. Fundamentally, it's an unsubtle remake of, or user of, Cormac McCarthy's The Road, but with the human apocalypse actually caused by vampires. A grizzled man, mostly called Mister, and a boy he finds and saves and then trains, travel through the darker barren parts of America to find salvation in New Eden. It was mainly terrible. Almost every bit of it seems misplaced and wrongly funded. The music and look of it sought to combine and make out this was an independent, deep-thinking road-movie, just like we saw with Monsters last year. But it's a crass action-adventure with hilariously bad scripting that had me cackling at times. The voiceover reminded me incessantly of Terminator 2 and that embarrassing scene of Linda Hamilton's sureness of the future as the camera stares at the lines of the road and then onto her imagined nuclear attack. All as if there was something more to this all than explosions and Arnie.
In Stakeland there are suddenly pretty and clean-haired women when everyone is struggling for water in a mostly unpopulated America, and morning becomes evening in seconds without explanation. I thought it was a completely stupid and laughable cross between The Road and Karate Kid and Monsters, but directed and written by those who did Maniac Cop 3. It was rubbish.

New Carpet?

Aug 23, 2009
The Hangover Part II

Relied way too heavily on continuity jokes from the well-executed first film. A couple of good gags, but that was about it. Rather underwhelming.

Senna

Even if you are not an F1 fan, there is so much to take out of this film and learn about the man and the relationships Senna has with his colleagues, his rivals and his family. Using carefully-collected footage (much of which has never been aired in public, such as F1 pre-race drivers meetings), this is a wonderful and well-balanced documentary about an all-time sporting great.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
In all honesty you could argue that Hangover 2 is best viewed having not seen the first one. Its really just a carbon copy of the first, almost literally, but set in Bangkok.

So 5 out of 10

I LOVED Machete tho 8.5 out of 10 as a slice of Mexploitation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports