Er hello :US:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Oh I see I f***ed up AGAIN !. Anyway Rock is a **** as well :lol:

Mar 29, 2010
Under your skin.
About to watch The Human Centipede. (Human Check )

Will tell you how it goes.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I've joined the Cineworld membership club. A shame they mostly only show shit films. But i'll still see a few of them to kill time and hide from life and light.
So i started with The Losers, a pre-A-Team A-Team only held together at all by a few actors that hold the necessary charm to keep you watching: Jeffrey Dean Morgan (charm personified) as the Hannibalesque leader of the gang, Idris Elba, the Wire veteran and nowabouts on Beeb as Luthor, and the unDJing Chris Evans, who tickled me when accidentally exposing himself to 3 dames and saying "Do you like the angle of my dangle?". The film is mostly forgettable and the action unexplosive, but the toughguys playing out and the ridiculously camp and comical villain, Lost Boys prettyman Jason Patric, make it not entirely unenjoyable. Guns rarely ablazing

And then on Monday, shortly before waddling around and about Downing Street due to a slight dislike for the "peaceboat massacre", i squeezed in Rec2. I'd only seen a bit of Rec, but i'd read well of the follow-up and was in the mood for a bit of horror. Overall, not bad. Of course it's a mix of the style of Blair Witch, the shaky hand-held cameras with recording incidents as they happen, and the Exorcist, what with a possessed child talking like a tramp and threatening to murder anyone who approaches.
Basically, a four-man military unit go in to a large building in Barcelona claimed to be housing a contagious infection. They are led in by a very chinny man who turns out to be a priest, hopelessly aware that the infective element is the demon looking to spread evil everywhere. Anyone becoming infected, only by blood or saliva, speedily finds themselves held by the ghoul and sprinting unforgivingly and bloodthirstily at anyone clean.
The acting and script (obviously translated) were patchy and unreal, but the nervousness of the piece persist, and some of the graphics of exploding heads and demonic children crawling on the ceiling proved worth it.
All in all, i liked it enough.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
Well, I managed to catch this charming little film today:

The Killer Inside Me
First of all - yes there is one scene in this film that is bloody gruesome and amongst the most distressing you will see in cinema. There is also other violence that will make you wince as well. However, if you can stomach it I still think this is a great film that doesn't bludgeon the audience with psychological analysis - there's definite hints as to why the murderer is the way he is but there's also ambiguity. Affleck is amazing - it's true that he's playing the same character as he did in The Assassination of Jesse James and, to a lesser extent, Gone Baby Gone, but the act hasn't yet grown tired and in this case is haunting. Not one for everyone then, and I can understand why some people feel as though the violence against women is too much, but I still think it's a damn fine film.

Also watched the Insider for the first time tonight - it's amazing. A proper corporate pot-boiler, and one which holds your attention incredibly well considering it has a complete absence of action scenes, not even the kind of "main character looks at suspicious car he believes is tailing him and speeds up" scenes you get in these sorts of films. Russell Crowe is also amazing, and if I had one criticism it's that I'd have liked to see his character wrapped up more - even if the film simply made it more clear that his life was ruined.

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
Almost Famous - 7/10 - Liked it but not as much as expected. Found it a little 'cheesy' in parts even though in general it is a good film.

American Beauty - 10/10 - Loved it. Thought it was a brilliant film and Kevin Spacey deserved his Oscar. Perfectly depicts how a set of characters all want their own American Dream. Couldn't recommend it more :thumbsup:

No Country for Old men - 9/10 - Another great film, if nothing else for Javier Bardems amazing performance.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Teeth - 8.5

Totally mad and beyond weird in places, but reminded me very much of Napoleon Dynamite. Utterly recommended – it’s about a girl with teeth where they shouldn’t be. Do give it a go if you get the chance.

Let the Right One In - 8.6

Another really good film. Boy makes friend with Vampire Girl in Sweden (which looks like Hangleton). Really involving, hard to predict and plays with your emotions a bit. Get watching.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Run, Fat Boy, Run - 8.7

A wonderful feelgood film with the ever delightful Thandie Newton and Simon Pegg. An excellent plot and I found it rather inspiring

1966 - 8.5

A must see. Sterling performances throughout and rather wonderful finish to a top Brit flick.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Killers
Well, it was better than the similar themed The Bounty Hunter (except the couple were happy, but start bickering when she learns he's a spy, when they go on the run). It probably doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Ashton Kutcher or Katherine Hiegl. But it had some decent action some funny lines, and it wasn't too taxing.

Wild Target
Fun film, typically european/british style, with a decent emphasis on story, with less action that means more, and some funny lines. Doesn't hurt that it's directed by Jonathan Lynn, who wrote and directed one of my all time favourites, Clue .

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Last night I completely wasted an evening and near on eight quid watching Death at a Funeral. What an utter load of shite. I was ready to walk after 20 minutes but was persuaded to stay against my better judgement.
Danny Glover must be embarrassed to be associated with this shite.
Chris Rock is funny if he's doing blue stand up. He's not an actor.
The only thing that could have made it worse was an american canned laughter track.

That's the last time I compromise on a choice of a film for a long long time.

0/10.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Watched Idiocracy on film 4 the other night and thought it was surprisingly good - I recommend it as its well worth a watch if they show it again 7/10

Idiocracy (2006)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Letters to Juliet

In a rare and misguided attempt to store up some brownie points with the Mrs I suggested a night free of copious drinking and World Cup Football.
Looking back I think my main mistake was letting her choose what to do….. For she chose Letters To Juliet.

For once, words fail me. Insipid,limp,weak,callow,hackneyed……….. I just don’t know which one to choose. All apply but none sum up the exactitude of the black hole of unemotional disinterest that this film caused me. I won’t even try to explain the grisly details suffice to say that this concerns an unremarkably average American girls attempt to re-ignite a failed 53 year old love affair to compensate for the lack of love and attention in her own failing relationship.

Based saggily and loosely about Shakespeare’s tragic heroine, Juliet in the Italian city of Verona, the story follows the banal Sophie as she attempts to break out of her rut and achieve reflected happiness by re-uniting 2 star struck lovers from 1957 in the modern age.

Billed as a “ Comedy, Romance, Drama “ it manages to fail on all 3 counts. Frankly, this is an 85 minute Dolmio advert shot in co-operation with the Italian tourist board….. Avoid !

5/10

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Knight and Day 7/10

Surprisingly good popcorn escapist entertainment. It’s always a good sign when the actors are obviously enjoying themselves and Cameron Diaz and Tom Cruise are clearly doing that and there’s a definite screen chemistry between them. It rips off a lot of spy movies; Bourne, MI, Mr. and Mrs. Smith but it does it with some style. It ain’t going to win any Oscars but it does what it says on the tin.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
just watched 'Brooklyn's finest' and really enjoyed it. By the same guy as training day, and has similar feel to it. Got some of the cast from the wire as a little bonus, as well as the main guys of Ethan Hawke, Richard Gere, and Don Cheadle.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
just watched 'Brooklyn's finest' and really enjoyed it. By the same guy as training day, and has similar feel to it. Got some of the cast from the wire as a little bonus, as well as the main guys of Ethan Hawke, Richard Gere, and Don Cheadle.

I saw that the other week. It was certainly a film with actors on their final legs. Hawke was surprisingly ok in it, i thought. He was edgy and even slightly manly, which is unlike him. Gere has no white specks in his eyes, instead the callous blackness of a shark that lost its bride, hungry but heartless. Cheadle, whilst a good actor, did not carry any sort of might to make that undercover gangsta role work. He doesn't look right with a gun in his hands or for blood to be anywhere near him unless he was playing a haemotologist. But his fresh-out-of-prison trafficker of powders friend played by Wesley Snipes was more authentic, or at least more powerful.
I didn't think a great deal of the film on the whole, but i stayed attentive until the end and the main stars were watchable enough.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
I saw that the other week. It was certainly a film with actors on their final legs. Hawke was surprisingly ok in it, i thought. He was edgy and even slightly manly, which is unlike him. Gere has no white specks in his eyes, instead the callous blackness of a shark that lost its bride, hungry but heartless. Cheadle, whilst a good actor, did not carry any sort of might to make that undercover gangsta role work. He doesn't look right with a gun in his hands or for blood to be anywhere near him unless he was playing a haemotologist. But his fresh-out-of-prison trafficker of powders friend played by Wesley Snipes was more authentic, or at least more powerful.
I didn't think a great deal of the film on the whole, but i stayed attentive until the end and the main stars were watchable enough.

quite like the fact no-one took the opportunity to over-act. Cheadle has played the under cover man much better in Traitor though.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Triangle

An interesting horror,mind f***. Woman who has lost her kid in a car accident replays events time and time again trying for a resolution where the end of the day does not end with tragedy. Worth watching a few times. A weak Machinist type mind f*** but not a bad effort for someone who likes to have their head messed with.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Daybreakers

This is a real gem. A great film that seems to have gone off the radar. Vampires have taken over the earth and are in search of deplenishing humans for their blood needs. 90 minutes of action and intrique ensue with stylish set pieces, good action and a decent storyline.

Done with a real style this, like Watchmen, really satisfied and surprised.

Highly recommended.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here