Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2010

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see Clash of the titans 3d on friday.
It was quite bad. But not so bad that it was easy to make fun of, so we ended up not enjoying it very much. Performances weren't very good, sam worthington's accent was inconsistent, it was hard to follow who was who at times, we're pretty sure someone dies and is then seen in another shot alive and well (as if they put the scene together in the wrong order). The story was an "epic" journey leading to a rather anti-climactic final battle, and barely even a confrontation. It was just not very good. On top of that, at several points we took our 3d glasses off and there was no difference. Occasionally there'd be something a little blurry in the scene - columns or candles or something in the background, but it was never intended to be 3d and making it 3d added nothing to the film. They really need to save 3D for the films that are filmed with 3D in mind.

Nightmare on Elm Street
This was better than CotT, but still not very good. It just didn't seem to have any merit, no reason, it didn't really do anything to improve on the original (other than effects) it wasn't as scary, characters weren't as likable, the story was a retread, it just seemed to have no purpose.

Iron Man 2
Loved it! Really good, maybe not on a par with the first, but still very good, downey jr was his usual likable self, cheadle was an improvement on howard, paltrow was ok again, sam jackson was his cool self, johanssen, well she was almost bearable. Sam rockwell was fantastic, and mickey rourke was pretty decent. (And john slattery played tony stark's father quite well, in video footage). Going in I was concerned about too many characters to do them all justice, but I think they juggled it well, but I think it helped that most of them are really good actors, so could portray so much, with minimal scenes/info. Only really Jackson and Johanssen weren't fully developed, but that is more to do with them being part of a mysterious shield organisation and not to do with poor performance/lack of material, at least with jackson. Johanssen might be poor performance (though I did enjoy her when she was fighting)

highway61

Jun 30, 2009

I enjoyed this film very much. I will not go through the plot as you must have been on Mars for 6 months if you don't know it. Yes it is cheesy, yes it is cliched, yes the story is average BUT the visuals are simply MAGNIFICENT with a different World you could really believe in and be inspired from. Some of the set pieces where history in the making.

I thought it worked perfectly well in 2 d on my tv screen and would have liked to see it on 2 d on a huge cinema screen but I am not bothered by 3 d.

Its great.

Saw it in 3d and also purchased the dvd. thoroughly enjoyed it.

Greeno

Oct 16, 2009
Four Lions.

Excellent film. Parts you don't know whether to laugh or shake your head at disbelief.

The final images when the credits start rolling were particularly potent.

8.73/10

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Gran Torino(I know it's not new but I've only just seen it): 8.5 A magnificent effort by Clint, possibly the best film I've seen in the past couple of years. If you've not seen it you should.

Kick-Ass 7.5 Entertaining but couldn't quite live up to the hype. The little girl was mega, the soundtrack was mostly excellent and, well, it was fun.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I watched Robin Hood last night.

If you cant say anything nice don`t say anything.... as the old adage goes.

So...........................

:wave:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Robin Hood

Wasnt as bad as I thought it was going to be, but thats not saying much.... Pretty poor and pointless film, Acting is woeful as is the plot.

4/10 AND 9/10 for the cheesy lines.

Nightmare on elm street

What a car crash of a film, shocking. very few moments made me jump and it wasnt that much of a gore fest, Thought Jackie Earle Haley did an OK job of filling the boots of Robert Englund however he was let down by the poor make up. 3/10

Prince of Persia

It was a refreshing change not going to an action film that was not in 3d, Enjoyable enough.. but Gemma Artherton really can not act. a solid 6.5/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
I didn't get to the cinema until 10 minutes into the film. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I could just be thinking that in comparison to clash of the titans. It was a passable desert adventure. Alfred Molina seemed to be enjoying himself. There were a few moments where it tried to be too much like video game (y'know how in some games at the start of a level you get a panning shot of the whole level showing you where you've got to go, it had a couple of them early on, but thankfully stopped doing that).

Robin Hood
I got out of Prince of persia, to find I could either wait 50 minutes to watch iron man 2 (again), or miss the first 5-15 minutes of Robin Hood, so I decided to miss the first 15 minutes and head in for that. It wasn't great. Again, I didn't think it was particularly bad, it was simply just mediocre. I can see what people mean about Crowe's accent being quite irish, the welsh will scarlett also sounded rather iris. It was mildly interesting to see almost a prequel story (the sheriff of nottingham is a bit part player in the story, almost a comedy guy that didn't have much screen time), but probably not worth it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sherlock Holmes

Being a big fan of Sherlock Holmes I was looking forwward to this. It was all in all a jolly good romp. The story was fairly good, the scenes and shots of Victorian London were highly impressive and Downey and Law made a good double act with a good chemistry. The most suprising thing is that Guy Ritchie now he has got rid of Madge seems to have his mojo back and made a very impressive directorial job after a string of at best average films.

Well worth a watch and nicely set up for a sequel with Moriarty.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
I was really very impressed with Sherlock Holmes US, much better than I expected and one which I think more and more people will come to - I expect the sequel to be quite a hit.

Finally got to:
Iron Man 2
Not a patch on the original. The very definition of a 'stuff' filled blockbuster, with little plot to speak of. The redeeming feature was the fact that I like all the characters, but there are too many and it seems that the Iron Man franchise is constantly hinting at greatness whilst being overladen with too much baggage. Action scenes not as good as No. 1, and neither was the banter between Downey Jr. and Paltrow. Disappointing.
5/10 (would give an extra mark for the fact that Scarlett Johansson looks absolutely stunning in this film!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The Road

A post apocalyptic earth is inhabited with a few humans wandering around looking for food and shelter and slowly dying of radiation poisioning presumably. The film is bleak and after 100 minutes many people would lose the will to live as well.

Nothing very much happens during the film. The Father and his Son take to the Road to walk to the coast where they think things will be better, no other explanation is given. There are flashbacks of happier times before the apocalypse but no explanation as to what happened or why it happened. The acting and cinematography were good but all in all it didn't really deliver a decent film from a much revered book.

Last edited:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
four lions
It was ok, but seemed to lack a point. It came close to making one occasionally, but ultimately fell flat. It was about four british muslims who claim to be a jihad group and plan to bomb something, but they're really quite inept. There was no indication of their motivation, or how they got to when we meet them, there might be a comment about the pointlessness of it all, but that wasn't very clear, there was a moment when his peaceful, yet strictly muslim, brother and his friends are arrested under suspicion of planning a terrorist attack, and you think there's going to be some message about how fear of attack is leading to persecution of genuine peace loving muslims, but that's not given any attention either. It had some genuinely funny, clever moments, it just lacked that bit of depth.

Last edited:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
The filmakers are brave in making this as it hardly puts the Islamic terrorists in a good light. Bearing in mind a Dutch filmmaker was murdered for making a film critical about Islam they must be watching their backs I would have thought. I have not seen it but to make a " comedy " about this topic just seems out of line for me.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The Losers
utterly fantastic. It was so much fun, I always like Chris Evans, but even my friend, who usully does not, thought he was good. But for me, the star was Jason Patric who played a bad guy who was deliciously evil, and incredibly hilarious and he manages to do so without going campy or over the top crazy. It didn't get ridiculous with special effects that make the action cartoonish. It was a good old fashioned action film that was incredibly fun. Loved it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Death at a Funeral
I saw the original when it became available to rent and wasn't particularly amused. So, I went into this, thinking it was going to be a bad remake, of a british movement taking a film with subtle humour and giving it the Norbit treatment.

I was pleasantly surprised. Granted, the acting wasn't as good overall (one of the problems with hiring a bunch of comedians, I guess). But I did find it funnier.

I thought James Marsden did well with what is essentially one long "I'm high" joke, Danny Glover kept a repetitive joke funny, and it was great not to have Chris Rock yelling every other word.

Truly not as bad as I was expecting.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Chris Rock is a C*NT for ruining the otherwise excelllent The Fifth Element and I have never forgiven him for that.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
The Losers
utterly fantastic. It was so much fun, I always like Chris Evans, but even my friend, who usully does not, thought he was good. But for me, the star was Jason Patric who played a bad guy who was deliciously evil, and incredibly hilarious and he manages to do so without going campy or over the top crazy. It didn't get ridiculous with special effects that make the action cartoonish. It was a good old fashioned action film that was incredibly fun. Loved it.

I loved this, Brilliant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here