Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2010

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
As the missus is away I've been watching films and football all day.

all a matter of opinion I guess, but I thought Harry Brown pissed over Dan in real life, I love you man, and the invention of lying which I also watched.

Haven't unexpectedly enjoyed a movie so much since the Escapist.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I went to see GREEN ZONE the other night. I'm a big fan of the Bourne series of films and was hoping this might good too.
It was certainly watchable but disappointing. 6/10

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to watch Shutter Island again (I love my unlimited pass). Enjoyed it this time.

Kick Ass
Fun, violent, strong language. I liked it.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Harry Brown

A dark , gritty British film with a superb performance from Caine. Its about an oap who lives in a high rise concul flat on his own after his wife dies surrounded by scum, chav's and low life teenagers and youngsters.

A sad indictment on Britain 2010 and pretty much on the mark. After his friend is butchered by a gang of chavs who slice his face open and record it on their mobile Caine goes bonkers and with the Police pussy footing around the chavs probably so as not to take away any of their human rights Caine decide to sort things out himself. At 76its all a struggle but his Marine career comes in useful.

He cleans up the estate himself. A great British film with Caine on top form.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Kick-Ass is FLAIR! Go and see it. Banana Splits tune will never seem the same again :lol:

[yt]flMS2gHFOH0[/yt]

HIT-GIRL ROCKS!!

Last edited:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Yeah i went to see Kick-Ass this morning. 10.45 showing, with only 15 or so other early-risers present. Good fun, overall, with the elements of throwaway gory violence tossed in for bloody measure. Of course, it's there to take from other comicbook fillums, to tease them and steal equally, but it's handled well enough, and cast full of Englishmen pretending to be villainous yanks, to be a fun take.
The soundtrack wasn't perfect and sometimes seemed either Guy Ritchie-ish or just wrongly-paced (if there's a difference between the two), and i find the poor-acting of Christopher Mintz-Plasse annoying me beyond the enjoyment of his novelty value. But it was a good enough show asking for a sequel that i'll probably badmouth.
Also, people talk of Nicholas Cage being half-decent for the first time in years, but i thought his Adam West pastiche was charmless and unamusing.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah i went to see Kick-Ass this morning. 10.45 showing, with only 15 or so other early-risers present. Good fun, overall, with the elements of throwaway gory violence tossed in for bloody measure. Of course, it's there to take from other comicbook fillums, to tease them and steal equally, but it's handled well enough, and cast full of Englishmen pretending to be villainous yanks, to be a fun take.
The soundtrack wasn't perfect and sometimes seemed either Guy Ritchie-ish or just wrongly-paced (if there's a difference between the two), and i find the poor-acting of Christopher Mintz-Plasse annoying me beyond the enjoyment of his novelty value. But it was a good enough show asking for a sequel that i'll probably badmouth.
Also, people talk of Nicholas Cage being half-decent for the first time in years, but i thought his Adam West pastiche was charmless and unamusing.

Agree with most of your points. But overall, all things considered, following on from last nights kick-ass match, this afternoon's kick-ass film @ Duke of York maintained the high. Gotta say, being in the right frame of mind, absolutely f***ing loved it! :love:

Hatterlovesbrighton

something clever
Jul 28, 2003
Not Luton! Thank God
Kick Ass

V good. Very well written and with enough action and violence to keep the boys interested without being too much to annoy the women folk. Loved the Adam West stuff by Cage and the little girl was really really good. Also Kickass's girlfriend was very hot. 8.4

The Blind side

Great performance by Bullock and a good feel good film that only edges into being sentimental a few times. Def one to have on DVD.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Went to see The Ghost Writer this afternoon, obviously directed by Roman "Rapist" Polanski. His escape from the law only really seems to keep some actors beyond arm's length, and his cast for this semi-political thriller were of a reasonable standard. Ewan McGregor is in the lead role as the ghost writer hired by a publisher to tidy up the biography of former prime minister Adam Lang aka Tony Blair. Langblair is played by Pierce Brosnan, and does ok. It's his wife, Ruth, played by Olivia Williams, who gets the acting just right, a good take on the power held entirely in Cherie's trousers. McGregor is partly likeable, but struggles to sound common and English at the same time. Kim Cattrall is Langblair's chief of staff and i think they wanted her to be English too, but i wasn't too convinced by that.
The predecessor to McGregor's ghost writer has washed up dead on the beach. McGregor is brought in and uncovers a few conspiracies as time speedily passes, all of them in and around the origins of Langblair's politics and authenticity, and an American influence to them all attached. It unfolds at a reasonable pace and seems particularly pertinent to a UK audience still remembering life under Blair and the fantasies imposed on all of us. Polanski still knows how to handle a nippy little thriller too.
Not a brilliant film by any means, but enjoyable and just about gripping enough to warrant an £8 fare.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
I made the partial mistake this morning, or yesterday evening really, of agreeing to let my friend, who has been having a little bit of a bad time recently, choosing what we watch at the cinema. Now, as some might know, i am generally always having a bad time of it, and like at the cinema something a little arty and self-important and usually concerning the bent sorrow of humanity. This morning, thanks to my friend, who is and was a female, i sat through Whip It, directed by Drew bloody Barrymore. Jeez.
It was pretty much all about a Roller Derby team of women in Texas. Their fold is joined by a young lady/girl who lies of her 17 years old, claiming to be 22, and who wants to break free from being in the smallest town in Texas and under the influence of her rigid mother. The girl in question is played by Ellen Page who most people liked as the lead in Juno.
Now Roller Derbies as some may know are when a team of 6 or so rollerskaters go speedily around laps and have one member of the squad dash through the morass of brutes designed to clothesline or shoulder them to the floor. Page is nippy and nimble and proves an adequate force. The rest of the team are wornout veterans who have little interest in victory until she arrives.
Sadly, it's a supposedly ticklesome coming-of-age tale of this girl turning into her adult self with the aid of new circumstances, allowing the friendship of her closest schoolpal to wane and falling headfirst in love with the lead singer of a bland version of The Verve. Wow. It really reminded me of myself as a teenager. Or not.
The look and dress-sense of the film had that dry, stylelessness held by Napoleon Dynamite, but was overall a cliche-driven fable of a girl finding herself and a sense of responsibility. The foolish, and somewhat feeble, men who sometimes appeared were not exactly painted with a feministic brush, but proved stereotypically amusing on rare occasion. Particularly the sexmad Roller Derby commentator.
I didn't really get the heartwarming feel i think i was supposed to, and some of it was just painstakingly cringeworthy, but i suppose i am not the target audience. Page is always likeable, i find, but it had Juliette Lewis in there as her main sporting rival, and i struggle to look at her let alone hear her.
I shan't go and see it again, or see anything with this lady if she's down in the dumps or there's nothing like Blade Trinity on (the one film i've seen at the cinema with her before). I'm 34.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Saw The Blind Side (due to bodged listings online), which I'd intended to have a nose at on DVD some time later....actually was a pretty decent flick in the heart-warmer category, with Sandra Bollocks and co giving good turns as the variously charactered family members and other protagonists.

Had amusement, genuine warmth, solid unfussy narrative and was, as I found out at the end, based on a true event.....in short it depicts a gentle giant black high school kid who is taken under the wing of a white middle-class family and tells the tale of their mutually affected lives as the boy strives to gain a decent education and 'football' scholarship.

On DVD would be fine for this btw.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
I took my son to see How to Train Your Dragon in 3D last week and I was impressed, it was really good and they did not over do the 3D effects. A thoroughly enjoyable film I'd give it an 8.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I'm in Liverpool this week and went to see The Ghost at the Odeon cinema in Liverpool One last night.

Liked the cinema. Can't say the same about the film, which I found as disappointing as the book. Brosnan is far from being my favourite actor and this didn't help. I though McGregor English accent was pretty good, but I spent far too much time listening out for his accent because the story just wasn't enough to hold my attention.

BTW I was in Berlin last spring when they were shooting this and Brosnan was even staying in the same hotel. The very last scene in the film is a Berlin strasse. It was weird being there and seeing a red letter box, yellow lines and Brit cars in the middle of Berlin. We had a double take before we found out what was going on.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

I enjoyed this film very much. I will not go through the plot as you must have been on Mars for 6 months if you don't know it. Yes it is cheesy, yes it is cliched, yes the story is average BUT the visuals are simply MAGNIFICENT with a different World you could really believe in and be inspired from. Some of the set pieces where history in the making.

I thought it worked perfectly well in 2 d on my tv screen and would have liked to see it on 2 d on a huge cinema screen but I am not bothered by 3 d.

Its great.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Hot Tub Time Machine

Dubbed as the new "Hangover", I thought it was going to be proper LOL, there were a couple of good chortles, and a funny seen involving a blow job. But not as funny as I'd hoped. Still a giggle, and there's some fantastic boobies on show which is a bonus.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Cemetary Junction. Judging by the handful of people watching this down the Marina Sunday night, its not doing great business.

Great setting and attention to detail of the 1970's scenes and mercifully little of Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais, who, whilst the latter being a funny stand up, are both only capable of playing the same character regardless of the film/show.

Overall 5/10

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here