Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2010

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Ok so i went to watch that Dragon Tattoo Girl film yesterday. A girl at work said it would be my sort of film, i presumed because it had rape and abuse in it. This girl is a fan of such films as Invictus.
Anyway, i went to it for a pleasing £6 afternoon showing with only 4 others in there,sadly two of whom were gossipers. The film itself i found to be a cliched, poorly-scripted-or-translated morass of ITV murder-mysteries with some whipped buttocks in it. I think what pained me most was the idea that the two main loosely-assembled characters (punky girl with a troubled background and recent rape-and-revenge scenario, and wrongly-soon-to-be-jailed gallant journalist who uncovers misdoings in the corporate sector) might somehow fall in love. She is 24 and in a lesbian relationship, running from the police and haunted by the burning of her abusive father. He is about 44 and seemingly divorced. A natural match. This bunkum-up muddies what is a basic investigative tale with the rich with a nazi fetish being the likely criminals. Not much of it gripping, and the dialogue oft-embarassing as people introduce themselves to us the viewer with a handshake and direct description of who they are: "I can help you. I am your sister, you know."
The ending was diabolical.
If you like murder mysteries then stick to stuff like Wallander, more modernised and tragically human and crisply canvassed. This was long-winded, clumsily stuck together and seemed to beckon a sequel more than anything.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Shutter Island - 6.9. I appear to be the only one who quite liked this film. The 'twist' at the end isn't that great but I liked the implication of the final line 'is it better to live as a monster or die as a good man?' It's probably not worth shelling out for at the cinema but will kill a couple of hours nicely if you download it or rent it.

Huple

Unregistered
May 28, 2008
Standish Sanatarium
I saw the film Burning Plain on monday with Kim Bassinger and Charlize Theron and I must admit I quite enjoyed it. Directed and written by Mexican screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga it poses a few questions about guilt and whether one can go back and also whether or not you would still shag Bassinger as she approaches her 58 th birthday.
I decided that I would.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I saw the film Burning Plain on monday with Kim Bassinger and Charlize Theron and I must admit I quite enjoyed it. Directed and written by Mexican screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga it poses a few questions about guilt and whether one can go back and also whether or not you would still shag Bassinger as she approaches her 58 th birthday.
I decided that I would.

Crikey, yer mrs goes away for 4 days and you are chasing down 58 year old skirt... disgusting :wrong:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I Love You Philip Morris
Generally a good film, but it felt like it was a comedy that had it's jokes removed and nobody told the actors.

Jim Carry came across as a straight comedian playing a gay man, and always comes across as if he is doing his gurning schtick even if he is going for emotional. Ewan was doing his american accent which worked really well in Big Fish, but no where else.

The Bounty Hunter
I had really low expectations for this. The film passed them, mostly, but not by a huge deal. I don't get the appeal of Gerard Butler in romantic comedies, and Jennifer Aniston has never done anything or me.

Crazy Heart
Fantastic film, brilliant performances from everyone, great country music and a good heart. Colin Farrell's accent wavers a bit, but that's the only flaw for me.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have hired Harry Brown for this evening entertainment. A review will follow in due course.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Do I detect a note of sarcasm :smile:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Even if it has Michael Caine on the toilet for 2 hours it will be better than Paranormal Activity.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Shutter Island - 6.9. I appear to be the only one who quite liked this film. The 'twist' at the end isn't that great but I liked the implication of the final line 'is it better to live as a monster or die as a good man?' It's probably not worth shelling out for at the cinema but will kill a couple of hours nicely if you download it or rent it.

I thought it was good, if not a little long

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I have hired Harry Brown for this evening entertainment. A review will follow in due course.

I bought this off a Chinaman down the pub. The picture and sound were excellent which unfortunately made no differance to the over rated turd flake this film is.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thats a shame Nibble I heard it was good.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I desperately need a good film.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
to be fair it is very watchable and not actually a bad film by any means just a tad over rated. Enjoy, it is quite dark but worth a watch!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do I detect a note of sarcasm :smile:
:smile:

I like your honesty US when you review. I dont always agree with you but what does that matter.
and when have I ever done sarcasm of flippancy on here.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I am pretty much generous. I like to see the good in a film and generally like in some way most films I see only a few like Paranormal Activity incur my wrath.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
too true it really was SHITHOUSE

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Gran Torino is f***ing excellent. Brilliantly paced, which I'm findning more and more important when watching films. Watch it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here