Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2008

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
When did you see WALL.E ?. I have heard it is stunning, some of the greatest cinema ever made and not just in the field of animation.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
When did you see WALL.E ?. I have heard it is stunning, some of the greatest cinema ever made and not just in the field of animation.

I watched a dodgy copy... Cannot wait to see this one at the flicks, and when it eventually comes out on HD it will be phenomenal.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I watched Prince Caspian last night - it wasn't too bad, but once you've seen LOTR all fantasy war films struggle against it!

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Laura, I think you would like August Rush. Rent it out.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
My present top

1. Schindler's List
2. ET - The Extraterrestrial
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. The Machinist
5. Downfall
6. August Rush
7. The Shawshank redemption
8. Magnolia
9. Saving Private Ryan
10. Somewhere in time
11. The Elephant man
12. The Lost Weekend
13. Eraserhead
14. Gladiator
15. AI - Artifical Intelligence
16. Planes, Train and Auotmobiles
17. The English Patient
18. Indiana Jones and the last Crusade
19. Save the Tiger
20. Aliens
21. Platoon
22. Field of Dreams
23. Se7en
24. Edward Scissorhands
25. GlenGarry GlenRoss

no jaws US?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Did not make top 25, somewhere in top 40.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I keep going each Sunday to my local cinema's doublebill for £8. Last week it was Son Of Rambow, which i found a little annoying as the characters were less than fully likeable and neither given a more than flippant background to their mental state, and In Bruges, which i quite enjoyed. Nice to see Ralph Feinnes going into a slightly camp extreme and Colin Farrell being more likeable than usual by just being an artless, drunken Irishman washed over by moments of guilt. And Brendan Gleeson was earnest and wrinkled and oddly approachable. Some good gore in it too.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Cloverfield 7.8

I enjoyed this. I thought it was a fairly original ( albeit similar in style to the Blair Witch Project but with a much bigger budget ) and the hand held made the intimacy of the events and action that unfolded very believable. It was basically Godzilla with a camcorder but was done with style and the effects and scenes of devastation of Manhattan were very well done.

Certainly £ 3.50 well spent in my book.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This weekend:

Rambo - Fairly entertaining, mindless bloodfest. Like Stallone always does, trying to be worthy but better off just sticking to the bloodbath. Okay- 4.5

There Will Be Blood - I had very high hopes for this and obviously it has been highly critically acclaimed. Did it live up to it's reputation? In some areas it did but failed in others. DDL performance was extremely meaty and right for the film but I can't help thinking that there was something missing. Can't put my finger on it but like I say was a very good performance.

The story offered nothing new to me. Fairly standard tale of a man's fortunes and misfortunes and the destroying of his soul along the way.

The cinematography was good and I think they captured the brutality of the life a man would lead in those time.

All in all I found it slightly disappointing and I feel it was less than the sum of it's parts.

I know many people said it is one of the best films of all time but I'm gonna slap a 6.9 on it.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
This weekend:

Rambo - Fairly entertaining, mindless bloodfest. Like Stallone always does, trying to be worthy but better off just sticking to the bloodbath. Okay- 4.5

There Will Be Blood - I had very high hopes for this and obviously it has been highly critically acclaimed. Did it live up to it's reputation? In some areas it did but failed in others. DDL performance was extremely meaty and right for the film but I can't help thinking that there was something missing. Can't put my finger on it but like I say was a very good performance.

The story offered nothing new to me. Fairly standard tale of a man's fortunes and misfortunes and the destroying of his soul along the way.

The cinematography was good and I think they captured the brutality of the life a man would lead in those time.

All in all I found it slightly disappointing and I feel it was less than the sum of it's parts.

I know many people said it is one of the best films of all time but I'm gonna slap a 6.9 on it.

I think the problem was the narrative which meandered a bit. I feel the story could have been tighter because there are some incredible moments in that film. The first 20 dialogue free minutes, when they strike oil and the final 20 are all amazing, odd, compelling scenes.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
My present top

1. Schindler's List
2. ET - The Extraterrestrial
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. The Machinist
5. Downfall
6. August Rush
7. The Shawshank redemption
8. Magnolia
9. Saving Private Ryan
10. Somewhere in time
11. The Elephant man
12. The Lost Weekend
13. Eraserhead
14. Gladiator
15. AI - Artifical Intelligence
16. Planes, Train and Auotmobiles
17. The English Patient
18. Indiana Jones and the last Crusade
19. Save the Tiger
20. Aliens
21. Platoon
22. Field of Dreams
23. Se7en
24. Edward Scissorhands
25. GlenGarry GlenRoss

Gladiator would be in there along with Braveheart.I watched Schindler's List again the other day, it's still my favorite,very moving

PM sent

Last edited:

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
E.T is one of my most hated films. Slushy, sentimental, overly manipulative clap trap of the highest order. Spielberg should be ashamed of himself.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
E.T is one of my most hated films. Slushy, sentimental, overly manipulative clap trap of the highest order. Spielberg should be ashamed of himself.

I liked it when I was 6 which I think is the point.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

It is NOT a kids film. It is a beautiful film, its a love story really. Simple but stunning. Anyone who cannot relate to it does not possess a heart. The end scenes with the farewell is the most moving end to any film, beautiful shot and lit
again simple but said all that needed to be said, come , stay , ouch. You simply do not have a heart and I feel sorry for such a cold hearted lump of wood.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
It is NOT a kids film. It is a beautiful film, its a love story really. Simple but stunning. Anyone who cannot relate to it does not possess a heart. The end scenes with the farewell is the most moving end to any film, beautiful shot and lit
again simple but said all that needed to be said, come , stay , ouch. You simply do not have a heart and I feel sorry for such a cold hearted lump of wood.

I like you US, you know that but this post is exactly the reason I never take anything you say about films seriously. It is a Kid's film Spielberg just tells people it is a fable for all ages so the people with money, Adults, will fork out for it.

To say someone doesn't have a heart 'cos they see ET for what it is is ridiculous. I know it is supposed to be all about lost childhood and absent fathers etc but US it is what it is - a film for kids about a cute alien.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005

Even as a child I hated it for the way it tried to emotionally blackmail me. Vomitous, shallow crap. Just well packaged crap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here