Film 2008

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
It's brilliant and gets better every time i watch it, Idiocracy by the same director is decent and pretty cheap too, but not in the same league

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
in no particular order twenty films of the top of my head that would feature in my top 50
1 magnolia
2 Crash
3 there will be blood
4 fargo
5 Hotel rwanda
6 the last king of scotland
7 Seven
8 Fight club
9 memento
10 V for vendetta
11 Goodbye charlie bright (much underrated in my opinion)
12 Back to the future (for the memories you see)
13 The departed
14 shawshank redemption
15 Battle royale
16 million dollar baby
17 Juno
18 scarface
19 full metal jacket
20 Taxi Driver

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Several of those would be in my 20-30 list

Se7en
V for Vendetta
Shawshank Redemption
Back TTF
Fight club

In fact 2 of those should be in my top 20. A revised list is required.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
I guess now is not the time to mention I've just finished all 10 hours of Krystof Kieslowski's Dekalog? Superb film-making and moving story telling (and much, much better than Three Colours...).

If there are any grumbles, it's that "One" is the best of the lot (9.3), which sets the bar and the expectations a little too high for the others to follow. But none of the 10 stories are anything less than "very good".

Taken Individually: ranging from 7.3--9.3.
Taken as a whole: 8.6

That's all: carry on with the Babe vs Memento slapdown...

:lolol:

(Have been meaning to check out Dekalog for a while....just don't seem to have a week off to conquer it anytime! ;). On your recommendation I'll be trying to catch it soon now though.):thumbsup:

Last edited:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Didn't catch In Bruges on Monday as too late (thanks to Mrs Haddock!) so we caught [.REC] instead.

Edgily shot horror flick (won't describe type of horror in more detail as worth checking out blind) but involves camera crew (in Spain?) following a fire crew around to a standard call out (or IS IT?!!) at an apartment block.

Hand held camerawork throughout, which usually bugs me but didn't in the least this time for some reason, though MRS H was feeling travel sick!, as we view events through the lense of the TV crew.

All told a good effort and reasonable fair for a bit of a jumpy night.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I watched 'Feed' at the weekend. It's a bit sick, and a bit shabby, somewhat slow but not entirely terrible. Gets better towards the end. WARNING: Features a 45 stone woman getting banged whilst being drizzled in baked beans and barbeque sauce.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I watched girlie flick Waitress and the Golden Compass was out. It was a decent story and a quirky little film about a woman with a louthsome hausband , trapped and unhappy having an affair with her doctor after she becomes pregnant by said louthsome husband, she is a brilliant pie maker and works in the local diner and her life experiences are the basis of her next pie calling it whatever she has been through, quote amusing. It stars the ever lovely Keri Russell

FanHost Network - Celebrity Photos, Video, Music, Forums, Celebrity Fan Sites, Fan Site Hosting, Fansite Host

It was a different sort of film and a pretty decent stab at an alternative tale

imdb average 7.4
Spielberg mark 6.8

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Leatherheads

Likeable piece of entertainment starring Rene Z' and the film's director Gorgeous George Clooney. A comedy drama set in 20s America and depicting the transformation of professional (American) football from a shoddy side show to top grade sport.

Good casting, reasonable script and quality acting make this a cosy evening's entertainment.

Persepolis

French release, but really an Iranian film at heart.

Tis a simply but attractively drawn animated feature with touching and almost understated story of a young girl growing up through revolution, war and a hardening religion.

Family issues, the innocent and natural desire to enjoy life and the trials and tribulations of spending a spell of time abroad are all perfectly depicted. It's short and sweet, without over-sentimentality and an alternative to all else out in cinemas at present.

N.B Saw English language version. Animation offers the only occasions in which dubbing of original dialogue can work imho and in this case it did, though of course seeing the original would still be preferable, if harder to come by.

Flashbacks Of A Fool

Daniel Craig poses and exposes again early doors in this drama dealing with the state of mind and reminiscences of a stale Hollywood actor who receives news from back in Blighty of a bereavement, prompting the eponymous flashbacks to events from his teenage years.

Had the potential to be self-indulgent and grating but was in no way so. A breezy, efficient script, excellently paced editing, top acting and engaging characters made for yet another good night's viewing on the big screen (it never rains, only pours, eh?).

The turns from the younger cast members featured in the middle of the film (the flashback section of the story) were excellent and the cast overall included the lovely Keeley Hawes, Clare Forlani, Jodhi May and Olivia Williams, as well as the aforementioned Craig and Mark Strong in a small cameo role.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
I watched the new Indiana Jones last night.

All those millions spent on special effects and big name actors.... and it was still SHIT!

I've never been a fan of these films anyway but it was just more of the same old predictable toss. There's no place for an Indiana Jones film in this day and age.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Indy Crystal Skull : 8.0

I didn't understand half of the ending, or Ray Winstone - but though it was great apart from that. Loved the amazon bit, and thought Shia Lebeuf was dead good. Nice stunty stuff and a very seemly Fedora on show. Admittedly, it might be my demographic but Indiana Jones will always equal cool for me.

Karen Allen can f*** off though.

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
They should have replaced the whole cast with more of these:

utah.prairie.dog2.jpg

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

First 30 minutes - great
Last 30 minutes - great
The hour in between - boring

Overall, disappointing. 6.1

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I want to see at the cinema

Prince Caspian
WALL.E
The Dark Knight

I am due to watch Rambo tomorrow where Stallone kills 236 men before his breakfast.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My present top

1. Schindler's List
2. ET - The Extraterrestrial
3. Close Encounters of the Third Kind
4. The Machinist
5. Downfall
6. August Rush
7. The Shawshank redemption