Film 2008

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I went out and brought August Rush first thing Monday morning as well so there.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I went out and brought August Rush first thing Monday morning as well so there.

Can I just say that I'm not critisising anyone enjoying any kind of film but I just have a differant opinion to you. It is just a bit of gentle ribbing, not trying to antagonise you!

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I saw Lonesome Jim the other night. Directed by Steve Buscemi. So deliberately "alternative" in its mildly comedic view of dreariness in mid-America that it failed its intention. Over-unprepared camerawork jostling into the space of under-written characters left an audience-member, me, unattached. It all concerns a man so determined to drift aimlessly without prospect that he returns home to take from his parents and equally unhappy brother who keeps trying to kill himself. As it went on it became a more simple film of love being the solution to modern unhappiness, but even that therefore was not particularly challenging and a little forgettable.
One of the problems i had was seeing it at the ICA. The snooty cheers of people i imagined to be so socially above me echoing through the thin air of theatre 2 had me uncomfortable. Any of their enjoyment of the film had me wanting to feel the opposite way.
Not a very good film, but some warm moments made it ok, and the acting was generally quite well-made.

Saw Vertigo on Sunday too. A truly pleasurable time spent in the cinema.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
That's a shame Meades, I was going to give that a try, though I have been disappointed by Buscemis directing chops before. Flashbacks of a Fool it is instead!

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I got Enchanted for my birthday, it's brilliant! I thought it'd be a tad overpoweringly childish, but it really isnt. It really does work well, and there are some brilliant hidden references to the old classic Disney movies.

Watched it every day so far

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Laura

I have been raving about Enchanted for some time and derided by people who of course have never seen it. Its a great great film and the song and dance routine in Central Park is an absolute joy as is the animals cleaning the flat

Get August Rush and watch without prejudice and let the film wash over you, however cynics like Nibble need not apply.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
After the superlative August Rush , the choices today we

Alvin & The Chipmunks
Enchanted - 8.8
I am Legend

However 1 and 3 were all out so I went from a Wild Card, Black Sheep, a film about mutant killer sheep for a bit of family fun. Report will follow shortly.

I also purchased for my collection Collectors editions of

Bladerunner
Poltergiest

For £ 6 each, both excellent films.

what viewing have you in store today ?.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Street Kings -

Keanu gives his usual nuanced, complex performance, exhibiting nearly 3 facial expressions in this film. Actually all joking aside I was expecting not to really enjoy this film as it was from the David Ayer who wrote Training Day and directed Harsh Times, the former I hated and the latter was a bit of a boring mess. However the fact that the story was by James Ellroy motivated me to see it and I gotta say I enjoyed it, a perfect friday night film. Plenty of action and some neat little plot twists and turns.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Laura

I have been raving about Enchanted for some time and derided by people who of course have never seen it. Its a great great film and the song and dance routine in Central Park is an absolute joy as is the animals cleaning the flat

Get August Rush and watch without prejudice and let the film wash over you, however cynics like Nibble need not apply.

US. Your refusal to actually read what I write is quite relentless. I have no problem with you or anybody liking a film. Apart from one or two well meant quips I have presented very valid reasons why I don't like some films you do or why I would probably not watch them.

You choose to ignore the point. You seem to have a chip on your shoulder. Constantly saying that you don't care what people think of your tastes but constantly justifying your tasts and referencing me. Could you just leave me out of the equation.

I am sure that there are many, many films that we both agree on but seeing as you seem to only ever mention the same four films I can see it taking quite some time to find out what they might be.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I bought the Planet of the Apes movies boxset for £9 and am greatly looking forward to it.

Miami Vice- starts poorly gets a lot better but still seems a waste by a very good director
Prestige-almost a brilliant film, a bit too silly to be taken seriously though
Idiocracy- lots of good and ideas but not as good as it should be, worth a watch

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Pearl Harbour

At a loose end yesterday evening, so I thought I might as well fill it with three hours of this. Much derided and almost universally panned on its release, but I confess to rather liking this film. The first 90 minutes is a rather plodding affair admittedly, as the "eternal love triangle" is firmly established. But once those Japs arrive, by CHRIST does this film pick up. For me, the attack itself is one of the most superlative and exhileratingly shot war sequences of all time. The special effects as the Japanese squadran swoops and dives through the US fleet destroying all in their path is at times, quite literally, jaw-dropping. The thunderous sound is taylor-made for 5.1 surround, and had me ducking in my armchair as another plane whizzed over from behind.

Yes its schmaltzy, yes its clearly working ovetime to remain PC towards our Japanese comrads, and yes its certainly about an hour too long. But skip the romance, get to the war, and it makes for pretty spectacular viewing.

1st half: 4.1
2nd half: 8.6

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Pearl Harbor has atistic merits. The attack on Pearl Harbor is the great realization of a war sence only surpassed by Savins Private Ryan imo. The money shot is the camera follow the big bomb as it was dropped until its explosion on the ship. Bay has proven he can do action as good if not better than any other director a reputation firmed up by his greatest film Transformers. Yes this man can do action and no one does it better.

7.2 - mainly for the attack scenes.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Pearl Harbor has atistic merits. The attack on Pearl Harbor is the great realization of a war sence only surpassed by Savins Private Ryan imo. The money shot is the camera follow the big bomb as it was dropped until its explosion on the ship. Bay has proven he can do action as good if not better than any other director a reputation firmed up by his greatest film Transformers. Yes this man can do action and no one does it better.

7.2 - mainly for the attack scenes.

Pearl Harbour has Artistic Merits? Now come on Unc, that's got to be a wind up.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Pearl Harbor (sic) was the Titanic of Hawaii. The most predictable waste of time I have ever had the (dis)privilege of watching. The two main men were to be portrayed as war heroes, but they had to be the least battle hardy men in Hollywood. Started off on the wrong foot!

A schmaltzy love tryst straight out of a bargain bin Mills & Boon. A full array of Hollywood quips, the usual scripted rubbish and predictable story lines. The battle scenes temporarily awakened me from a deep slumber, but far to late to save the film.

Pearl Harbour has to be one of the most exciting storylines of WWII, but whoever made this film managed to turn it into a trumped chick flick with some action to placate the boyfriends.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Haven't seen Pearl Harbo(u)r but this love-triangle-thingamy mentioned above sounds like the overwhelmingly irritating equivalent in the loathsome Titanic.

Any true likeness though?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Like Titanic but with worse actors, an even more terrible script and Jon Voight with a fake nose on.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Pearl Harbor (sic) was the Titanic of Hawaii. The most predictable waste of time I have ever had the (dis)privilege of watching. The two main men were to be portrayed as war heroes, but they had to be the least battle hardy men in Hollywood. Started off on the wrong foot!

A schmaltzy love tryst straight out of a bargain bin Mills & Boon. A full array of Hollywood quips, the usual scripted rubbish and predictable story lines. The battle scenes temporarily awakened me from a deep slumber, but far to late to save the film.

Pearl Harbour has to be one of the most exciting storylines of WWII, but whoever made this film managed to turn it into a trumped chick flick with some action to placate the boyfriends.

I like it - but then again i am a girl!

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Off to see In Bruges tonight....haven't been able to get to the flicks since the excellent The Orphanage so looking forward to it.... usually love Brendan Gleeson's performances.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports