Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2008

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Only joking Unc but please stop going on about the IMDB mark as if it is the ultimate judge of a film because it is not. When you say that it immediately puts me on the back foot.

Also I'm not a big fan of Phillip French's reviews but your flipant dismissal of his opinion only goes to highlight how defensively myopic your view is when castigating others for the same thing.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Les and Nibble, please pass judgement by all means IF YOU HAVE SEEN A FILM. if you have not please refrain from this piss taking as its you who sound silly not me as you need to open your minds.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I explained why I derided French's views and the imdb mark is a pretty accurate guide albeit it 7.5 was well below my 9.1.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Les and Nibble, please pass judgement by all means IF YOU HAVE SEEN A FILM. if you have not please refrain from this piss taking as its you who sound silly not me as you need to open your minds.

I didn't really pass judgement did I though? I can have an opinion on wether I would likely enjoy a film can't I? Or is that against the US rules of film! Bloody hell!

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
also Les posted a serious and valid point. if you can't t ake a bit of ribbing when you post about sentimental films then it clearly bothers you more than you admit and you should back off.

I like all sorts of films. Some the same as you, some differant.

Anyway, even if someone has seen a film and their opinion differs from yours ie Schlindlers List, you still won't accept it. It is you who needs to open your mind.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
You basically derided his view by saying that he was negative and cold hearted. That's making a personal judgment on him rather than engaging with his review.

And stop telling people how they come across all the time Unc, I was clearly making a joke when I said it sounds shit so didn't come across as stupid. Also I said it sounds shit rather than is shit so am only passing judgment on what you have said and what I have read about it rather than the film itself.

The IMDB mark is an accurate guide in YOUR opinion. You enjoy prediominately mainstream cinema, lot's of other don't. Also just because a lot of people say something doesn't make it right.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Can I just say that I'm not looking to provoke an argument or gang up on you Unc, merely just stating that even from some light ribbing you start throwing reactionary accusations around and getting defensive about your opinion to the point of getting yourself in a hypocritical muddle.

As Nibble said, perhaps you should open your mind up a bit and except that people like all different types of films and sometimes maybe your opinion isn't right even if the masses of IMDB back it up. Was Hitler right just because many Germans backed him at the time? (sorry, inflammatory metaphor I realise but you get my point).

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Saw D-Tox on cable the other night. A piss poor Stallone vehicle. He could have really turned himself around after his great performance in Copland but somehow managed to make more bad choices to the point where he again has to turn to unbelievable nonsense like Rocky Balboa and Rambo 4.

Shite 1.5

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
In the Name of the Rose

Connery is excellent, filmed brilliantly from a tough-to-read book. The very, very ending bit annoyed me, but still very enjoyable film

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nibble, Rocky Balboa was an excellent film.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Beowulf - 1.0

Somewhat naiively I thought this film was live-action with some large elements of CGI enhancements. What I didn't realise was that its ENTIRELY CGI, and therefore basically boils down to Shrek without the laughs. The whole thing plays like an elaborate intro-scene to a computer game, and after 20 minutes I was thoroughly bored with it, so turned it off and watched....

Heartbreak Ridge - 8.2

Grizzled old Clint was born to play these roles. Its not particularly original (hard-assed battle-hardened drill sergeant whups some respect into a bunch of smart-alec dropout recruits), but its brilliant nonetheless with some terrific one-liners ("be advised that I'm mean, nasty and tired. I eat concertina wire and piss napalm, and I can put a round through a flea's ass at two hundred meters. So go hump somebody else's leg, mutt face, before I push yours in".

:lolol: Marvellous entertainment.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Nibble, Rocky Balboa was an excellent film.

I didn't like it. Mainly because the underdog concept of the character was just stretched too far. I though elements were good. The idea of having him running a restaurant and recounting tales of his past glories worked but bringing him back in the ring was a bad move and therefore what was the point in making the film? Other than to try and make amends for the even worse number 5 in the franchise.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ
Rescue Dawn

This stars the greatest living actor, Christian Bale. Again Bale was very good and suffered for his art again losing 3-4 stone, not as thin as the Machinist but still a big weight loss.

Howver I ended up dissapointed. Bale was excellent but the story just did not grip as it should have. it was about a USA soldier missing in action in Laos during the Vietnam war and being captured and his time and escape from a prison camp. I don't know if they toned it down but his ordeal just didn't seem to be that bad. The guards taunted him a bit, the worse it got was being dragged on the ground behind a Cow and being put up to his neck in a water pit but it all seemed a bit tame.

Anyway he escaped.

Not bad but dissapointed.

have you seen harsh times US

i give it an 8.1 not bad

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
have you seen harsh times US

i give it an 8.1 not bad

God, I'm gonna sound like a right moaner. I didn't think Harsh Times worked either, which was a shame because I think Bale delivers 90% of the time and I was looking forward to it, but like the director's previous film, Training Day, it just lost the plot about a third into the film. Found it rambling and a bit of mess. A disappointed 4.5

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
God, I'm gonna sound like a right moaner. I didn't think Harsh Times worked either, which was a shame because I think Bale delivers 90% of the time and I was looking forward to it, but like the director's previous film, Training Day, it just lost the plot about a third into the film. Found it rambling and a bit of mess. A disappointed 4.5

I agree with that assessment.
After about half an hour I thought "hey. this is bloody good." But it goes absolutely nowhere plotwise, and winds up disappearing up its own arse. Could have been excellent.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
In the Name of the Rose

Connery is excellent, filmed brilliantly from a tough-to-read book. The very, very ending bit annoyed me, but still very enjoyable film

And the peasent sex scene is strangely enjoyable! :blush:

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Easy , Beowulf is bizarre at the start but its worth percevering as the story is pretty good I gave it a 6.5. Harsh Times I agree did not have an end result but Bale was supreme again.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here