Film 2008

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Thank You For Smoking

Clever, funny and very enjoyable film about a spokesman for the Tobacco industry

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
I watched The Departed the other day, it was okay I suppose, I must tell you that I find Leonardo Di Caprio a most pleasing actor every time I watch him, he really is fantastic.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Not sure if i mentioned it, but i sat through Death Proof the other week. What a pile of ill-constructed elephant turd. I am aware it was supposed to be a homage to poorly-made, druggy, sexed-up adventure films of the 70s, but why put your own ludicrous, oft-heard, self-agrandised dialogue in there to add a drab and modernised flavour to the produce. Due to this wordy self-indulgence and characterless splurge of masculine-bitch debate, the action is around 10 minutes throughout the entire film, despite its claim to be something terrifying and pointless in one. I only found it pointless.
I thought the film was incredibly boring, which i found uninterestingly strange.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I watched The Departed the other day, it was okay I suppose, I must tell you that I find Leonardo Di Caprio a most pleasing actor every time I watch him, he really is fantastic.

You can cry through Romeo and Juliet tonight, that's on

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Di Caprio in Blood Diamond is superb.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Rescue Dawn

This stars the greatest living actor, Christian Bale. Again Bale was very good and suffered for his art again losing 3-4 stone, not as thin as the Machinist but still a big weight loss.

Howver I ended up dissapointed. Bale was excellent but the story just did not grip as it should have. it was about a USA soldier missing in action in Laos during the Vietnam war and being captured and his time and escape from a prison camp. I don't know if they toned it down but his ordeal just didn't seem to be that bad. The guards taunted him a bit, the worse it got was being dragged on the ground behind a Cow and being put up to his neck in a water pit but it all seemed a bit tame.

Anyway he escaped.

Not bad but dissapointed.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Rescue Dawn

This stars the greatest living actor, Christian Bale. Again Bale was very good and suffered for his art again losing 3-4 stone, not as thin as the Machinist but still a big weight loss.

Howver I ended up dissapointed. Bale was excellent but the story just did not grip as it should have. it was about a USA soldier missing in action in Laos during the Vietnam war and being captured and his time and escape from a prison camp. I don't know if they toned it down but his ordeal just didn't seem to be that bad. The guards taunted him a bit, the worse it got was being dragged on the ground behind a Cow and being put up to his neck in a water pit but it all seemed a bit tame.

Anyway he escaped.

Not bad but dissapointed.6.6

Agreed. however, to get a more detailed account of the story from Dieter Dengler himself you should watch Little Dieter Needs To Fly, a documentary made by Herzog also and Dieter retraces his steps to escape. truly disturbing.

If you wish to borrow it as it is hard to get hold of PM me and we can arrange a pint and I'll make the drop!

johnnyjetlag

Jul 26, 2004
Saw In Bruges on Monday. It has a slow start and overly violent ending, but is a richly dark and funny tale, with strong performances throughout. Worth your hard earned reddies.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
August Rush

I had heard good word of mouth from cinema goers but this was lambasted by some heavyweight critics such as Philip French. Well all I can say is I don't feel angry at such negative reviews for such a magnificent film I feel sorry for people like French who must be so cynical and cold hearted that he just cannot see a film of great beauty anymore or suspend disbelief. The imdb rating bucked the critics reviews with an average 7.5 which is a high mark.

Now the masses of NSC will no doubt lambast it and call me a sentimental old sod but this film knocked me sideways and is the best film I have seen for at least 4 years.

It is about an orphan who was taken from his mother without her knowledge after a 1 night stand. The father does not know of his existance and the mother thinks he's dead. The parents are both musical supremo's in their own rights. The parents never see each other again. Anyway the boy wants to find his parents through the power of music and love. He escapes the orphange 11 years later to his search for this parents.

It all culminates in Central Park, New York when the parents are drawn to a concert August Rush has written. Coincidences have to be accepted in good faith and by the time of the reunion at the end I felt a tear rolling down my cheek for the first time for many years at a film such was its beauty. This is a film that strikes a chord with me for many reasons and is installed in my top 10 of all time and to hell with what the critics say. Stunning and beautiful.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Christ on a bike Gavin, everything about that sounds f***ing AWFUL. :bigwave:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Sorru Unc ,just when we agree on something you chuck a proper sluch fest into the mix. Oh dear oh:laugh: dear!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Son of Rambow

"Skills, skills on toast"

Nostalgia fest and yes see thru things like 15 age rating (should be AA) and Patrick Swayze mentioned a good 2 years before he made it big...but enjoy.

8/10

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I did not expect MOH or Nibble to appreciate such a fine work of art so thats no great suprise to me at all. Really at the age of 45 I don't give a shit what people think of my tastes as I know what I think is good and do not conform to the expecetd macho and herd mentality that manifests itself on NSC so feel free to carry on taking the piss as I thought it was SUPERB.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I did not expect MOH or Nibble to appreciate such a fine work of art so thats no great suprise to me at all. Really at the age of 45 I don't give a shit what people think of my tastes as I know what I think is good and do not conform to the expecetd macho and herd mentality that manifests itself on NSC so feel free to carry on taking the piss as I thought it was SUPERB.

US you know I like you, just have differant tastes in films. Not a macho thing at all.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Have you actually seen it ?.

johnnyjetlag

Jul 26, 2004
21 - Entertaining, but ultimately cheesy hollywood retelling of a true story about a group of MIT students card counting in Vegas. Worth a rental maybe.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Have you actually seen it ?.

No because I don't fancy the look of it. I can't watch every film released. In the same way if I saw a Jean Claude Van Damme film advertised I would be very unlikely to watch it.

I occassionaly get surprised by a film I did not think I would enjoy but on the whole I can usually tell if it is something I might like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports