Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2008

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's a SCORCESE film. With Robert DE NIRO in it. From the 1970s. And I like MUSICALS and JAZZ, both of which feature in it. So how can New York, New York be so bloody awful?? 2.7

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Enchanted

Disney movie about a prince and princess living in a cartoon fairytale, who fall through a portal into real-life New York, become real-life people, but carry on earnestly believing they are living a fairytale existance (bursting into song, having animals magically help with housework etc). Usual fish-out-of-water fayre along the lines of Elf. Its well written, has some cracking one-liners and although pitched at the kids, theres plenty of wry humour for the adults to enjoy. Also features a fine turn from Timothy Spall as a bumbling, scheming henchman.
Good fun.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Not much I want to see at moment but looking forward to Flashbacks of a Fool. The soundtrack looks great too, it is partly set in the mid-late 70s so lots of Bowie and Bryan Ferry etc. Check it out...

YouTube - Flashbacks of a fool. Trailer

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Enchanted

Disney movie about a prince and princess living in a cartoon fairytale, who fall through a portal into real-life New York, become real-life people, but carry on earnestly believing they are living a fairytale existance (bursting into song, having animals magically help with housework etc). Usual fish-out-of-water fayre along the lines of Elf. Its well written, has some cracking one-liners and although pitched at the kids, theres plenty of wry humour for the adults to enjoy. Also features a fine turn from Timothy Spall as a bumbling, scheming henchman.
Good fun.

Easy , call me a big Girl if you want but I loved this film. Disney's best film of all time imo. The song and dance routine in Central Park was truly wonderful

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Easy , call me a big Girl if you want but I loved this film. Disney's best film of all time imo. The song and dance routine in Central Park was truly wonderful

'Twas a goodun, dunno about Disneys best of all time though. My favourite is STILL Robin Hood, and probably always will be.

Can I just call you Karen ?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Thats fine

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
This is totally not the sort of film I would watch normally but I am getting curious about this Enchanted girly film. I am going to watch it and post an honest review. So bloody there.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Just finished watching it. Bag of shit and very gay but not as gay as Les or going to late night gay parties.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
You watching it at work?

Whens your next 'Special K, I'm a massive GAY' Party?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
You watching it at work?

Whens your next 'Special K, I'm a massive GAY' Party?

No, not seen it, was just being a cock. I will probably be attending some kind of gay fest next weekend as it seems to be happening every other week. How far will I go this time? Only the ladyboys at Topshop will ever know.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is totally not the sort of film I would watch normally but I am getting curious about this Enchanted girly film. I am going to watch it and post an honest review. So bloody there.

Open your mind and do not have pre conceived prejudices in life. Even Kermode said it was one of the best films all year. It is a tongue in cheek pop at the Disney princess fairytale genre. I have to say I LOVED IT.

If you want however to keep your Macho image intact I have heard Rambo 4 is very hard with lots of skull crushing, grunting and blood letting.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Open your mind and do not have pre conceived prejudices in life. Even Kermode said it was one of the best films all year. It is a tongue in cheek pop at the Disney princess fairytale genre. I have to say I LOVED IT.

If you want however to keep your Macho image intact I have heard Rambo 4 is very hard with lots of skull crushing, grunting and blood letting.

I assure you my image is far from macho and I will probably end up watching enchanted but I don't think you can rent it yet?

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005

Yes Nibble, open your mind. Just like US, who would never pass judgement on or make assumption about people having never met them. Take this little nugget of open mindedness below.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
The Orphanage / El Orfanato.

Mexican / Spanish co-production by debut director Juan Antonio Bayona.

This eerie psychological horror flick centres on events (or protagonist's imaginings?) at an orphanage she has acquired and at which she spent a period of her own childhood.

I won't expand on plot as going into it blind will benefit the viewer, other than to say strange things appear to happen after she and her family move in.

This film is very much in the vain of The Sixth Sense (8.3) and The Others (6.0) but perhaps betters both and climbs towards the dizzily high standards of The Innocents (1961)* with it's subtle, creeping and haunting atmosphere. There are a few genuine gasp-worthy moments spread along the narrative way and performances are excellent, including another Spanish turn for Geraldine Chaplin (Charlie's grand-daughter) as a peculiar 'medium'.

MV5BMTIyMTM2MjU4Ml5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwOTA3NjUzMQ@@._V1._CR0,0,357,357_SS90_.jpg

which starred Deborah Kerr as a governess traumatised by her stint working in a new situation at a country mansion.

It's sublimely shot in sumptuously beautiful black and white by probably England's very finest ever cinematographer (the best of a brilliant bunch), Freddie Francis, with haunting music, astoundingly good child acting and to top it all off, was filmed mainly on location in EAST SUSSEX no less! (Uckfield, Bluebell Railway).

If you haven't seen this film and are dying anytime soon, watch it now as you really shouldn't pop your clogs before enjoying one of the UK's top 10 films in my book.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
A Very Long Engagement - an excellent lavish and entertaining but underrated epic concerning WW1 featuring Audrey Tatou's ARSE. 8.8

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Sweeny Todd

I'm not a big fan of musicals, but this was quite entertaining. Depp is superb (as usual), and once again Timothy Spall pops up with an enjoyable greasy performance. 19th century London is lavishly recreated as you'd expect from Tim Burton. Some gruesome deaths, plenty of claret, all good fun.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Europa Europa - appallingly inappropriately-jokey title for low-budget but fascinating true story account of how a German Jew survived WW2 by joining the Hitler Youth (the original title is Hitler Youth Solomon). Great film.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here