Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Film 2008

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Whoa there big man. Slow down. Back off. Without Steven Spielberg, there would be no Back to the Future.

You might want to remember that before you start chucking remarks like that around.

070524top10_future.jpg

*randomexcusetopostpictureofmartymcfly,thedoc,andadeLorean*

*whyaminotusingspaces?*

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
my flux capcitor is manked up with chow mein

please advise

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
The Lives of Others

Absolutely brilliant! Kept me watching the whole time. A very accurate portrayal of the Stasi, and it certainly pulled no punches. The acting by Muhe was spot on, and it's a testament to him that the movie won a BAFTA, and an Oscar.

Possibly the best movie I have seen about the DDR.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I have heard it is very good Laura and its on my must se list. Have you seen Downfall ?.

I hired 2 dvd's yesterday.

1. A Good Year - a rather charming film from Ridley Scott about a money obsessed yuppie type from London , Russell Crowe inheriting a house and vineyard in France from his long lost Uncle whom he spent many happy childhood days there. It is a film showing the real meaning of life and happiness and Crowe tranforms during his visit to sell said house and vineyard. Its a very pleasant watch with a message. Crowe was as per usual excellent and Coulthard playing his French squeeze is gorgeous.

2. Beowulf

Not normally my tyope of film and it took a while getting used to the look of the film, half human , half computer but the story bore some fruit and is a fantasy film about demons that visit the Kings land and kill and terrorise his people. Beowulf played by Ray Winstone comes to slay the beast that is terrorising the King's land played by Anthony Hopkins.

There is a demon witch played by Jolie who seduces the Kings one after another and the demons that terrorise the people of the land are infact the King's sons. Quiet a clever little effort and worth the watch in the end.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Beowulf

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
I have heard it is very good Laura and its on my must se list. Have you seen Downfall ?.

It's definitely a must-see. I don't know how much people who don't have prior knowledge of the Stasi will understand some of the stuff that goes on, or the social context, but i'd imagine a lot of people know about them.

I don't think I have seen downfall, i've added it to my lovefilm list

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Laura

Downfall is immense and one of the greatest acting performances of all time by Bruno Ganz.

Bars Mar

Registered Drug User
Jan 4, 2008
In Bed With My Doner
Gareth

As I say, it's added to my lovefilm list, when i do get it, i'll figure out what i think of it for myself.

Isn't That The Point Of This Thread? To Give People Your Opinions Of Films You've Seen? That's All Uncle S Is Doing. He's Just An Easy Target Though Because He Dares To Be The One That Dosn't Follow The Herd.

Jul 5, 2003
Chertsey
Isn't That The Point Of This Thread? To Give People Your Opinions Of Films You've Seen? That's All Uncle S Is Doing. He's Just An Easy Target Though Because He Dares To Be The One That Dosn't Follow The Herd.

You've changed Mars Bars, you really have.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
La Vie En Rose - even if she'd never sung a note, Edith Piaf's hideous life story would make an unimaginably grim epic tale of appalling tragedy - neglectful mother, brought up in her grandmother's brothel, blind for long periods of poverty-ridden childhood, dead child of her own, love of her life dead in a place crash, protracted illness and an early death of her own, you name it - that's a lot of shit to cram in to 47 short years. You'd almost prefer being born into a family that supports Crystal Palace.

So the fact that the woman also happens to have recorded some of the most fantastic and immortal music makes this film unmissable. Yes, it's not perfect, yes they missed out the war for some odd reason, but it's still a really bloody good film and Cotillard's Oscar-winning performance is brilliant too. 9.1

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Watched Godard's Bande A Part at the weekend.

Not bad, can imagine why it was so revelatory at the time but I wasn't overly enamoured. Much preferred Le Mepris.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Predator was on ITV4 the other night. Arnie looks quite buff in that. No side-parting. The rest of the cast is top drawer too. I like to imagine Jesse Ventura's political career always looked upon in reference to his wrestling and Schwarz partnerships, his brutality unrivalled in council chambers compared to his donning a flattened spacesuit in the Running Man and weeping at the thoughts of the lightning-palmed opera-singer's explosive demise just moments before.
There's also Bill Duke. His thoughtful, injured-soldier status throughout is chilling to the bone. While Carl Weathers having his arm shot off is a movie classic too. And who can not have thought of themselves standing atop a fallen tree one day slicing a welcoming cross into our chests to attract the tree-living squid-headed monster we all want to take us to our doom?
An enjoyable film, i've always thought.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
There Will Be Sleep

thank f***

:p

re 'Jones' 4, if it's as good or better that the first we are living in charmed times

if it's better than the third but not as good as the first we are lucky and will have fun

if it's worse than the third but better than the second we're happy and have had a decent night out

if it's worse than the second we will wish it had not been made

with regards these matters I am the law

:lolol: :thumbsup:

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Predator was on ITV4 the other night. Arnie looks quite buff in that. No side-parting. The rest of the cast is top drawer too. I like to imagine Jesse Ventura's political career always looked upon in reference to his wrestling and Schwarz partnerships, his brutality unrivalled in council chambers compared to his donning a flattened spacesuit in the Running Man and weeping at the thoughts of the lightning-palmed opera-singer's explosive demise just moments before.
There's also Bill Duke. His thoughtful, injured-soldier status throughout is chilling to the bone. While Carl Weathers having his arm shot off is a movie classic too. And who can not have thought of themselves standing atop a fallen tree one day slicing a welcoming cross into our chests to attract the tree-living squid-headed monster we all want to take us to our doom?
An enjoyable film, i've always thought.

What he said! (...probably :ohmy:))

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Thats a pretty fair assessment although I did see Indiana Jones & The Temple of Doom 7 times at the cinema. Temple of Doom has a story which allows the unfolding of action scene after action scene. Raiders is a superlatively told tale and one of cinema's greats but The Last Crusade is actually my favourite as the candour between Ford and Connery just raise the bar a little further. I worry the Crystal Skull will not be able to ever live up to the expectation.

The last Crusade 9.0
Raiders 8.9
Temple of Doom 8.5

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here