Film 2008

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Kermode was so excited about this film he must have had an erection. Apparently it is " an astonishing piece of work " and he was " totally mesmarised ". He is in the Les, Nibble and Meade school of hi brow psuedo intellectural arthouse lets have a wank thought of cinema.

This is coming from the f***ing retard that rates anything by Spielberg as a work of pure genius. US, Schilndlers list was a manipulating, gushing, sentimental piece of GASH pumped out to make morons like you think you have good and moral taste in films.

I do not like arthouse cinema and look forward to films like Indy 4 as much as I like heartier fayre. It is called having an open mind and a broad taste in film as oppose to sitting in the front row of the cinema dribbling like a spaztard at the brightly flashing colours and basic shapes of the latest CHILDRENS film from Disney or tossing yourself off to some over inflated, shiny pile of special effects that are perfectly designed to make you forget about the mess people have made of their own lives and concentrate on a robot car taking Shia Le Bouf up the arris.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
For me Mr Bran's Holiday 7.8 is a better cinematic experience than the much salivated over Atonement 6.9 for example but Kermode and the superior higher intellectural plane critic would probably publically flog me for something like this.

Mr Bean (Brans?) is made for children and slightly retarded adults. This is the reason you enjoyed it.

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
I note that "There Will Be Blood" is currently ranked 33rd best film ever on IMDB with a similar rating to the likes of Lawrence Of Arabia, Apocalyspe Now, Taxi Driver, Amelie, Sunset Boulevard and Chinatown

Seems about right to me

I'm tempted to go and see it agains tonight

John Bumlick

Banned
Apr 29, 2007
here hare here
John Rambo

Stallone dons the headband again and spends a day or two slaughtering hundreds of Burmese soldiers. The whole film runs like the Omaha Beach scene in Saving Private Ryan, on acid. Severed limbs flying everywhere, skulls coming apart, kids getting shot in the chest, arrows through the face, bodies getting torn apart, guts spilling out, ragged torsos flying around, multiple rapes. I quite enjoyed it.

ahhh, now your review of There Will Be Blood makes a lot more sense...

you only went to see it because the word blood was in the title, didn't you?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
ahhh, now your review of There Will Be Blood makes a lot more sense...

you only went to see it because the word blood was in the title, didn't you?

Its a fair cop.

Blood Diamond wasn't as good as I thought it would be.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mr Bean (Brans?) is made for children and slightly retarded adults. This is the reason you enjoyed it.

Any you wonder why you get shit on this site. Get you head out of your arse and come down to earth a bit, who the fecking hell do you think you are ?. So so superior aren't you. I stood up for you when you flounced and sent you a PM and also sent Bars Mar one saying you were a good bloke and supporting you but you can go and f*** yourself you high and mighty moron.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
This is coming from the f***ing retard that rates anything by Spielberg as a work of pure genius. US, Schilndlers list was a manipulating, gushing, sentimental piece of GASH pumped out to make morons like you think you have good and moral taste in films.

I do not like arthouse cinema and look forward to films like Indy 4 as much as I like heartier fayre. It is called having an open mind and a broad taste in film as oppose to sitting in the front row of the cinema dribbling like a spaztard at the brightly flashing colours and basic shapes of the latest CHILDRENS film from Disney or tossing yourself off to some over inflated, shiny pile of special effects that are perfectly designed to make you forget about the mess people have made of their own lives and concentrate on a robot car taking Shia Le Bouf up the arris.

f*** off you wanker

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
PM me if you want to meet up

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'm with US. Anyone who doesn't like Schindler's List is a holocaust denier

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Nibble muppet Schindler's List has an average of 8.8 on imdb with over 100000 ratings across the world. There must be lot of what was it " morons who think they have good and moal taste in films ". It is rated 6th best film ever and every critic more or less gave it 5 stars still what do they know compared to the armchair critic Nibble they greatest resting actor of his generation.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

insult Spastics mmm nice person aren't you, a lot of anger there , you must be a lot more successful in life than me, oh to be you, such a perfect person looking down on the rest of us mere mortals

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Sorry to let this thread go like this but that was quite a broadside from Nibble that could not go unanswered.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think the point is, there are mainstream, big-budget, park-your-brain-in-the-foyer type films, and there are more thoughtful, "clever" (for want of a better word) films. Both have their place. Like most people, I can appreciate and enjoy all kinds of films, depending what mood I'm in. I absolutely adore Pulp Fiction. And I must have seen Con Air and The Big Lebowski about half a dozen times. I was captivated by Downfall, I watched 12 Angry Men again the other night which was superb, LA Confidential and The Usual Suspects I consider masterpieces, whilst Starship Troopers is big and dumb but (I think) still terrific fun and hugely entertaining. Obscure foreigh films isn't really my thing (although Run Lola Run is a cracker), but each to their own, doesn't make anyone right or wrong does it.

Lambasting people for daring to admit they enjoy many of the mainstream films is just snobbery. Steven Spielberg has directed and/or produced some of the most memorable films in history. My childhood was enhanced by films such as ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Gremlins, and I retain a great deal of affection for those films. And as an adult I've really enjoyed Schindlers List, Jurassic Park and Saving Private Ryan. There, I SAID it.

Suppose that makes me some kind of cheese-brained buffoon, but there ya go. I likes what I likes.

Les Biehn

GAME OVER
Aug 14, 2005
Nibble muppet Schindler's List has an average of 8.8 on imdb with over 100000 ratings across the world. There must be lot of what was it " morons who think they have good and moal taste in films ".

At one time the general consensus was that the world was flat. Just coz a lot of people say it Unc doesn't make it true.

While Nibble's rip is somewhat off the deep end I can kind of see how it has got to that with all your inverted snobbery and anti-intellectualisation bashing. Especially when you are trying to position anyone who doesn't agree with you and likes to think about film in a slightly different way as some sort of intellectual elitist when it is quite clear neither Nibble, Meado or myself are.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
Sorry to let this thread go like this but that was quite a broadside from Nibble that could not go unanswered.

I was offended by the shithouse description you made of Nibble's, Les' and my individual opinion in the first place (even if i agreed with some of it :)).
I am not the speaker for Nibble's mind by any means, but it seems a wild retaliation to your commentary and look to undermine our statements on cinema that differs from your taste.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think the point is, there are mainstream, big-budget, park-your-brain-in-the-foyer type films, and there are more thoughtful, "clever" (for want of a better word) films. Both have their place. Like most people, I can appreciate and enjoy all kinds of films, depending what mood I'm in. I absolutely adore Pulp Fiction. And I must have seen Con Air and The Big Lebowski about half a dozen times. I was captivated by Downfall, I watched 12 Angry Men again the other night which was superb, LA Confidential and The Usual Suspects I consider masterpieces, whilst Starship Troopers is big and dumb but (I think) still terrific fun and hugely entertaining. Obscure foreigh films isn't really my thing (although Run Lola Run is a cracker), but each to their own, doesn't make anyone right or wrong does it.

Lambasting people for daring to admit they enjoy many of the mainstream films is just snobbery. Steven Spielberg has directed and/or produced some of the most memorable films in history. My childhood was enhanced by films such as ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark and Gremlins, and I retain a great deal of affection for those films. And as an adult I've really enjoyed Schindlers List, Jurassic Park and Saving Private Ryan. There, I SAID it.

Suppose that makes me some kind of cheese-brained buffoon, but there ya go. I likes what I likes.

Every genres has it's pluses and minuses eh. 12 Angry Men is one of my favourite films easily. Just to have stagework and the incredible acting of 12 unglamourous men unfurl on screen was amazing. The crime itself is pretty uninteresting. Just Henry Ford engaging us all with his doubt and ability to place that in his opponents' minds.
I like Con Air too, even if i don't like to admit it. And Teenwolf.
Psychologically you make mention of "obscure" foreign films being not your bag, when all you already know is that they are not obscure because of their calibre, but because of the monetary ruling of mainstream releases. Run Lola Run was cool. You should see El Violin that i saw the other day. Not hidden due to it's depth or zillion artistic layers that no other man could sink himself in, but that it was made in Mexico with an unEnglish tongue and hand.
It's the same as with everything: you get out what you put in. If you follow things and dare to hunt, then you'll find something special. Just as you ideally don't just accept the first woman who happens to fancy you, unless you know immediately she is the real one for you. You look about a bit rather than simply sit and wait for some corporate giant to tell you how she ought to be.
I think now with the increasingly tiny internet-laden world that nothing takes long to look up and discover. But then film is supposed to a passion of mine so i might hunt that bit harder, while with your passions i'll always be in arrears (fnar) and no news story i write from the knowledge i store will be as good as yours.

*waffle*

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Les, my swipe was an affectionate pop at 3 people who I like and respect very much. Nibble's spiteful broadside was totally over the top and ridiculous.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
At one time the general consensus was that the world was flat. Just coz a lot of people say it Unc doesn't make it true.

While Nibble's rip is somewhat off the deep end I can kind of see how it has got to that with all your inverted snobbery and anti-intellectualisation bashing. Especially when you are trying to position anyone who doesn't agree with you and likes to think about film in a slightly different way as some sort of intellectual elitist when it is quite clear neither Nibble, Meado or myself are.

Les, I don;t agree with that. I think the imdb guide is about as good as possible to get an overall mark of a film and its pretty much spot on. With over 100000 votes the average mark does not lie. Schindler's List was pretty much universally agreed as a work of genius and had 5 star reviews from just about everyone so for Nibble to disregard it as a pile of shite is absurd. I also do like hollywood films, Enchanted is a fabulous film, I loved Transformers but that does not make me a pea brain.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
US. In answer to your question, I don't wonder for a second why I get shit on here. It's because people's brains have been numbed by watching gash like Schindlers list.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports