Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fighting Mark McGhee

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
Fluffster said:
There was a good point made earlier though. If he plays defensive people moan if he plays attacking people moan. FFS he's a cult hero one minute and abused like he declared war on Iraq the next. If I was McGhee I would have chucked this job in a long time ago, some people have their heads shoved so far up their own arses it's untrue.
:nono:

My thoughts exactly. It was the same 3 years ago when Peter Taylor somehow won us the league ahead of sides with much stronger squads and greater resources (Stoke, Reading, Cardiff, QPR). People were moaning about negative football, too many 1-o's etc.

I would not blame McGhee one bit for walking out, the guy is up against so many obstacles and got a very ordinary side promoted. He is a decent, intelligent guy and the least he deserves is the respect of everyone. He certainly better qualified than your average Withdean follower.

Exiled in Exeter

Jul 16, 2003
W3D
I think McGhee should have a right to reply. Some people may not agree with certain decisions he makes, but sadly the idiots are usually the most vocal.

McGhee is doing as good a job as can be done, and to give him any extra reason (having talked again about how frustrated he is) to walk away is stupid.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Yoda said:
Like he said to someone in E/F block area, "If you think you can do a better job, come down here then!"

That was to the group of muppets in D Block....when are these idiots going to learn?

McGhee doesn't put a team out hoping that they'll f*** up and piss all of Withdean off.

The players don't set out to deliberately have bad games just so they can really piss off the D Block muppets (and one or two in E Block).

We all have a bit of a groan when a simple pass gets missed or a tackle gets missed and their winger gets through but some of the shit McGhee was getting from the D Block muppets was un-called for and IS un-called for at any game.

Got a moan? Say it on here or NSP or anywhere else-just keep it to yourself at the game.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
i for one do not blame mm for saturday's result even though the team sheet was somewhat wierd it was the players that let him and us down. if i was him i'd be f**king sptting mad.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
I was a big MM fan, but am starting to doubt him. I cannot help but remember the Millwall fans who posted on here about his wierd tendancy for playing players out of position, and think about what he is now doing! ???

caz99

Jun 2, 2004
Sompting
3gulls said:
I was a big MM fan, but am starting to doubt him. I cannot help but remember the Millwall fans who posted on here about his wierd tendancy for playing players out of position, and think about what he is now doing! ???

i have to agree. i love MM and what he is doing for the club but saturdays line up was a bit of a joke. crewe must have known they had the win in the bag before the game kicked off. so many players playing out of position.

jarrett, molango and robinson not even on the bench. i know everyone moans about molango 'hes not fit' hes not used to english football' blah blah however i remember watching him run the line training at the cardiff game and he looked kinda sad to me, he wants to be on the pitch. something needs to be sorted it must affect his confidence being signed on a three year deal and then just playing reserves even though everyone built up the signing.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
Was in D Block Saturday and when the players were getting a drink while they waited for treatment for someone, Mcghee was asked to use this time to get the players rousted and give them some advice. He didnt like that and replied `come down here and see if you can do any better` or words to that effect.
The bloke who shouted out about the wages he`s earning was a prat because what ever hes on, he`s definitely earnt it, but the verbals are just banter, you cant expect the crowd to toe the line all the time. Although last season was definitely the worst as regards general noise, overall I think we are good supporters who show a lot of patience with the whole situation at the club. Was surprised Mcghee took the bait though, it did show he was rankled, but it also shows he cares.

Mcghee had a stinker saturday, god only knows why Carpenter`s on the bench, if Mcghee thinks he`s out of form, its probably because he hasnt had a proper pre-season due to his knee operation and he probably isnt fully fit, but he isnt going to improve sitting on the bench. I understand the dilemma with no tall striker available as such, if Molango is considered too poor, but playing Piercy from the start was surely not the answer when he hadnt played for so long. As for playing Harding, he should have been dropped if the past few efforts are anything to go by, but there he was playing in midfield, hardly in the game, takling no one etc.

I have faith in Mcghee to get it right next time and Crewe were better than their table placing suggested, but we cannot afford to have many more games like saturday else we will go down.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Last January and February I watched us get trounced against teams like Luton and Grimsby.
People were moaning then that we'd never get out of that division and what was McGhee doing about it.

Just support the team through thick and thin.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
We do seem to have really easily accepted that it is not possible to create a good atmostphere at Withdean, and it's not necessarily the case. We've had games at Withdean where the atmosphere is cracking (Cardiff, Leeds, Swindon to name but a few), in my opinion we simply aren't trying hard enough.

We only have to look 40 miles west down the coast to see what a decent home crowd can do for a team that has no right to stay in the division it is in, and we could use taking a leaf out of their book (pains me though it does to say it). If we started an atmosphere of chanting and coming up with songs that could go on for 15 minutes at a time, who knows what lift that could give the players?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
What we need is cheerleaders.:p

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
Not everyone in D block should be tarred with the moaner brush.

Most of us do our best to get behind the team, and a lot of the banter is good-humoured.

I think what pisses me off sometimes is the level of pessimism amongst some of the 'die-hards.' Also the speed in which they get on the backs of some of the players.

We need to remember that we've had 2 championships and a successful trip to Cardiff in the last 4 years. How many clubs can boast that - and you can include both Man Ure and Liverpool in this.

The Withdean factor does not help attempts to build an atmosphere. The lack of a roof means that we can't always hear other blocks singing - a necessity for galvanising some sort of concerted noise.

Having said that, there have been occasion when the conditions have been right and everyone has made things happen, although this year they have been few and far between.

But I do agree with posters who feel that some of the personal abuse should be left outside the ground. None of the players perform badly on purpose, and if McGhee is defending them through his attempts at crowd rapport then fair play to him I guess.

It's just a bit frustrating when we can't hear what he says. Keep going Mark, you're the man, and I know that the majority of people are 100% behind you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bwian said:
What is the point of yelling crap like "We don't get paid 100k to manage the team but you do McGhee"
Thats true though, isn't it ?

:p

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
Why are you an idiot for expressing your opinion.

IF someone shouts out something it is their opinion and they have every right to express said opinion, why does that make said person an idiot.

If I want to shout my opinions then why shouldn't I. IF I want to moan when my team are putting in such a guttless performance that is embarassing to watch, why can't I? and why does that make me an idiot?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Yorkie said:
Last January and February I watched us get trounced against teams like Luton and Grimsby.
People were moaning then that we'd never get out of that division and what was McGhee doing about it.

Just support the team through thick and thin.

Very true but we did get a striker (Iwelumo) to help turn things around and the lack of goals is a major frustation
Differing opinions doesnt mean we cant all pull together and support the team - The Withdean lack of cover to keep the sound in doesnt help but we all know that.
Abusing MM will achieve only one thing... he gets pissed off and leaves ...I for one dont want that

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
if we end up moaning so much to make McGhee leave then we are proper f***ed.

why cant people see we have a f***ing manager in for the long run and stick with him for more than a f***ing year!

no other manager will come in, not even mickey Adams, and give as much to this club right now with as much future building!:angry:

Northstander

Oct 13, 2003
agreed!!

Lets ensure we get Falmer, and only then can we start building!!

:clap:

Oct 20, 2004
walsall
In all honesty i prefer coppell to MM, but you have to give MM credit, when he makes a mistake, he normally sticks his hand up and admits responcability rather than blaming a match official or a blade of grass or even a 16 inch pizza.

My ownly concern is, that in his latter stages at Millwall, apparently he went slightly loopy and started changing the formation each week and generally again during the game.

But why he still leads the blue white stripes, he has my support and my concerns remain here on this site rather than echoing across the hallowed turfs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here