Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fighting Mark McGhee

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
mona said:
I thought the idiots who abused Piercy when he came off were disgraceful. He's been suffering from an unpleasant and debilitating medical condition and deserves some encouragement.

I agree but he should not have been anywhere near the starting line up.

When coming back from this sort of illness surely giving him 20 minutes here and there until match fit would be better.

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
If I was McGhee I would be pretty pissed off with the home fans. As someone else said such abuse is really likely to encourage him to stay not. He did fantastically last season with the very limited squad at his disposal and again this season, certainly no other manager would do better. Like many previous managers he must think that the home support is poor, with some of the crowd having unrealistic expectations and no real understanding of football.

Also while he had a poor game I thought the ironic cheers that greeted Piercy's substition were unfair and I'm sure would have upset the other Albion players as well, as the squad seems to have a real togetherness and team spirit. I wouldn't blame the likes of Leon Knight for thinking that we have crap supporters.

mindyjaja

May 9, 2004
With no sign of a striker in sight the crowd have to become the 12th man - away from home our support is probably amongst the best if not the best in the division, however, at home we let ourselves down.
Is it me or when we get behind the team at home do we usually get a result ???

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
mindyjaja said:
[Is it me or when we get behind the team at home do we usually get a result ??? [/B]

Can't quote statistics but think you are right mindyjaja
Some folk seem to get more fun out of shouting abuse than getting behind the team. Mind you it's always been so with the Albion even at the blessed Goldstone, and I go back to 1950s.
There's always been an element in the crowd who think it fun or witty to slag team or manager off.
Takes all sorts but why do they always sit round me?::(

brisgull

Oct 2, 2003
bristol
After listening to the general negative comments (that started before the match), I came away from Withdean last night feeling like I never wanted to go back! Ok, so we were crap, and the selection was maybe not the best but who actually benefits from the negative shouting! I personally would not become motivated by it!

I have a ticket for the Burnley game and am seriously considering selling it on and staying away. I love the team but am not prepared to leave home at 9.30am travel 3 hours and the same home to listen to others abusing a group of people who to my mind are doing a good job under very difficult circumstances. Everyone has an off day, the Albion team always manage to get theirs together, it has happened for the last 5 or 6 seasons, and then we pick ourselves up and start again!

Sorry rant over! It was a long journey home last night in the rain and I am very very tired!!!!!!!

Ned Zelic

Nov 6, 2004
brisgull said:
After listening to the general negative comments (that started before the match), I came away from Withdean last night feeling like I never wanted to go back! Ok, so we were crap, and the selection was maybe not the best but who actually benefits from the negative shouting! I personally would not become motivated by it!

I have a ticket for the Burnley game and am seriously considering selling it on and staying away. I love the team but am not prepared to leave home at 9.30am travel 3 hours and the same home to listen to others abusing a group of people who to my mind are doing a good job under very difficult circumstances. Everyone has an off day, the Albion team always manage to get theirs together, it has happened for the last 5 or 6 seasons, and then we pick ourselves up and start again!

Sorry rant over! It was a long journey home last night in the rain and I am very very tired!!!!!!!

Well said, sorry you had such a depressing experience. I certainly struggle to think of many teams with worse home 'support' than the Albion. Unfortunately lack of knowledge on the part of some fans and unrealistic expectations mean that the team are not getting the support they deserve.

balloonboy

aka Jim in the West
Jan 6, 2004
Way out West
The difference between the support at home games (crap) and away games (unbelievable) - is there any other team in the league that can match us?!!

Clarke Quay

Oct 27, 2004
Hampshire
It's the lack of a ground, geddit!! That's why proven managers like Adams, Coppell and Taylor have walked away and with a bit more moaning from the home crowd (agree the away support is excellent) Mark McGhee may do too.

I remmember Neil Mc'Nab in the early '80s referring to elements of the West Stand crowd at the Goldstone as "petty-minded evil morons."

Twas ever thus with an element of Albion's support-they just go to moan.
:angry:

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Clarke Quay said:
It's the lack of a ground, geddit!! That's why proven managers like Adams, Coppell and Taylor have walked away and with a bit more moaning from the home crowd (agree the away support is excellent) Mark McGhee may do too.

I remmember Neil Mc'Nab in the early '80s referring to elements of the West Stand crowd at the Goldstone as "petty-minded evil morons."

Twas ever thus with an element of Albion's support-they just go to moan.
:angry:

It isn't only Albion 'fans' who go to games to moan. Every club in the country have a few who do nothing but moan. Annoyingly, they are usually far louder than the rest of the supporters during a bad spell.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Gaffer said:
Mind you it's always been so with the Albion even at the blessed Goldstone, and I go back to 1950s.
There's always been an element in the crowd who think it fun or witty to slag team or manager off.
::(
Thanks for saying this. A lot of fans remember the Goldstone at its best. It was also a ground full of moaners especially on the east terraces.
Traditionally sad to say Albion fans are moaners.

Our support is noisy away because most of them are p*ssed.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
The chicken run, those were the days.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
The West Stand were always up for a good bitching session from about the 5th minute if we were not two up by then.

It's so weird, I love watching the Albion away, in spite of the results, but at Withdean it is embarrassing being associated with so many twats who know f*** all about football or finance.

Windmill

Jul 6, 2003
Tadley, Nr Reading
What Mark needs to get in perspective is that every home game he receives a standing ovation from the South Stand, irrespective of last week's result.

I for one think he's done a brilliant job with very few resources, and I think he's the man to keep us up, even if it's 4th from bottom and the last game of the season.

What I don't understand is why he responds to the abuse from the touchline.

He has a number of other forums - ranging from the programme to the Argus and even Harty's phone-in - where he can put his point across.

He surely must realise that if people get stressed and shout out it's mainly a knee jerk reaction from people who love Brighton and who have been supporting the club for many years.

Yesterday he seemed to be saying 'can you do any better,' Now obviously we probably can't because we aren't football managers. However, playing Piercey when he looked and probably is not match fit was not the greatest decision he's made, especially when there were more experience players like Carpenter and Oatway on the bench.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Brighton till i die said:
what did he actually do yesterday???

what gestures did he make???

The only one I saw was when he waved to us. :wave:

Fluffster

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham
There was a good point made earlier though. If he plays defensive people moan if he plays attacking people moan. FFS he's a cult hero one minute and abused like he declared war on Iraq the next. If I was McGhee I would have chucked this job in a long time ago, some people have their heads shoved so far up their own arses it's untrue.
:nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here