Fighter jet flying over sussex

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Whitterz

Mmmmm? Marvellous
Aug 9, 2008
Eastbourne
Will this affect the Victoria to Brighton trains ?

Haha

I saw two fighter jets flying out towards the coast from Hailsham the day of the Paris shootings. A friend of mine who's ex Raf believes a lot of pilots are on training missions around London and the south east, training in quick deployment in case they are needed to intercept an airliner ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's a bit worrying for me, I have another 98 editions to go before my Millennium Falcon is complete and I can get the hell out of here.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A friend of mine who's ex Raf believes a lot of pilots are on training missions around London and the south east, training in quick deployment in case they are needed to intercept an airliner ???

By that they mean shoot down over a less densely populated area than let it reach London.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
2 jets just flew over West Chiltington in formation

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Yep I heard it when out in town at lunch time. More bizarrely, two military helicopters just flew low over Hangleton - is there something going on ?

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
Try living 20 miles from Yeovil and Warminster and it's a pretty regular occurrence although they do seem to have been quiet of late so perhaps changed their training paths. Last year I watched a fighter jet performing manouvers directly overhead for about 30 mins and the noise was ear splitting. It was very cloudy and the phone video only picked up glimpses but the noise came out just as loud

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Try living 20 miles from Yeovil and Warminster and it's a pretty regular occurrence although they do seem to have been quiet of late so perhaps changed their training paths. Last year I watched a fighter jet performing manouvers directly overhead for about 30 mins and the noise was ear splitting. It was very cloudy and the phone video only picked up glimpses but the noise came out just as loud

When I was a kid my Gran lived just north east of Grantham. She had a field next to her cottage that me and my brother played football in (when it wasn't full of bullocks or what they produce). Planes would regularly fly over at incredibly low altitude from RAF Cranwell. Was the highlight of my day if I saw one as well as hearing it.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

They've flogged the Harriers to the Indian Airforce

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
They've flogged the Harriers to the Indian Airforce

The RAF Harriers were all sold to the USA and were broken up to help maintain the USMC 'harrier', they were kept at Cottesmore until shipped to the states...until recently were still stored in the desert, ( Minus engines)

The deal to sell the sea harriers to the Indian Navy did not go ahead as the UK Govt would not sell with the defensive suite and radar that was fitted.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
It's a bit worrying for me, I have another 98 editions to go before my Millennium Falcon is complete and I can get the hell out of here.

If you are buying the magazine and the kit then you could have bought the real thing for a similar price. Of course I know your back garden and to be honest the runway would be a little short. Oh for the Harrier days Veg.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
The RAF Harriers were all sold to the USA and were broken up to help maintain the USMC 'harrier', they were kept at Cottesmore until shipped to the states...until recently were still stored in the desert, ( Minus engines)

The deal to sell the sea harriers to the Indian Navy did not go ahead as the UK Govt would not sell with the defensive suite and radar that was fitted.

Blimey, so what's become of the Navy Harriers? Could do with them for the new carriers.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Blimey, so what's become of the Navy Harriers? Could do with them for the new carriers.

I think most were scraped due to corrosion, Some are in museums some as gate guards and some at culdrose (FAA School I think).

F35 will go on the new carriers but its already 3 years late, ( should have entered service in 2012) and did not even make Fairford or Farnborough last year.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
My dad was a warrant officer in the RAF, and when he was based at Cottesmore, we used to have tornado's taking off at the bottom of our garden!!!! Oddly when I was 4 it didn't fuss me, but I shit myself today!!!!

In fac the only thing that terrified me was the klaxons going off for exercise in the middle of the night, and one time when a Vulcan just above roof heigh over the camp at an air show they put on!!!! I'll never forget that noise, and the Vulcan that flys now (think it was the same one) terrifies me to this day

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
If you are buying the magazine and the kit then you could have bought the real thing for a similar price. Of course I know your back garden and to be honest the runway would be a little short. Oh for the Harrier days Veg.

The Falcon is fine for VTOL so no prob, my Columbines would not be disturbed by a fast getaway.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
A very fast jet (aren't they all?) flew over Sainsbury's in Hedge End about an hour ago. Mind you it could have been Tony Bloom with our new striker on board en route for press conference and presentation.

Too soon!

Despite being "up and running for the window" we will probably sign 3 players on loan on the last day! (And sell COG !)

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Strange to read this yesterday, and today being treated to low flying Czech fighters, and attack helicopters over the city. Apparently honouring a war veteran though...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports