Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fighter jet flying over sussex

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
an Iraq Army plane has just taken off from Gatwick (well within the last hour) Never seen that before at Gatwick.

Yup, reckon SOMETHING unusual has been going on. Like I posted earlier, when I looked on flightradar24 about an hour ago, there wasn't a single commercial airliner being shown over Sussex south of Gatwick. ???

Eastleigh Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bolton
Bit of a flaw if engaged in a dog fight and the enemy pilot deploys flares responsibly enough.

Right - just consulted with the Typhoon pilot who works outside my office. I was being too simplistic - essentially the aircraft will always fly with what looks like a missile on the wing tip - it isnt a missile its part of the Defensive Aid Suite - on the next station coming in from the tip is the chaff dispenser which also looks like a missile. When flying training missions it will also carry a bomb on that station - almost always a dummy bomb - as that is the most likely operational configuration and it means the aircraft computer acts like a missile is there. The aircraft is, as you would expect, run by computer, which adjusts the flying capability of the aircraft according to what it thinks the aircraft is carrying - so if youre in a mission and drop a bomb the instant the bomb is released the computer will alter the limits of the aircraft accordingly. You couldnt pull a 9G climb with a full weapons fit so the computer stops you doing that - as weight is dropped both through fuel burn and releasing weapons the computer increases the limits of what the aircraft can do.

In summary if youre in a dogfight though you would want to be in that aircraft - it has limitations elsewhere (which are being rectified) but its shit hot at air to air stuff.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Southwick Tunnel probably closed for 'maintenance' soon

aluthut-fringe.gif

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
There is a military flight path near Burgess Hill East to west. Don't tell anyone though as we not supposed to know about it. Only ever seen choppers though.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Bit of a flaw if engaged in a dog fight and the enemy pilot deploys flares responsibly enough.

Right - just consulted with the Typhoon pilot who works outside my office. I was being too simplistic - essentially the aircraft will always fly with what looks like a missile on the wing tip - it isnt a missile its part of the Defensive Aid Suite - on the next station coming in from the tip is the chaff dispenser which also looks like a missile. When flying training missions it will also carry a bomb on that station - almost always a dummy bomb - as that is the most likely operational configuration and it means the aircraft computer acts like a missile is there. The aircraft is, as you would expect, run by computer, which adjusts the flying capability of the aircraft according to what it thinks the aircraft is carrying - so if youre in a mission and drop a bomb the instant the bomb is released the computer will alter the limits of the aircraft accordingly. You couldnt pull a 9G climb with a full weapons fit so the computer stops you doing that - as weight is dropped both through fuel burn and releasing weapons the computer increases the limits of what the aircraft can do.

In summary if youre in a dogfight though you would want to be in that aircraft - it has limitations elsewhere (which are being rectified) but its shit hot at air to air stuff.

Sorry to be 'that guy' but an F18 isn't a 'dogfighting' aircraft.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Been over goring twice now.... Reports on Twitter say it's carrying missiles..... Unusual to say the least?

A warplane carrying missiles!? Whatever next, soldiers carrying guns and warships containing sailors no doubt! I can't see whats unusual about that at all. In any case if they are big enough to be seen clearly as it flies past they could well be additional fuel tanks which many people assume are mahoosive great bombs or missiles.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Will this affect the Victoria to Brighton trains ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here