Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think the problem is that in all of your examples the individuals concerned are not overtly representing the nation. Here, the national side are representing England on national television actually ON Armistice Day. You would quite rightly expect other individuals who are representing the nation on television on Armistice Day to wear a poppy (such as politicians).

At any time there are British teams and individuals competing in all manner of sports and events worldwide, I'm pretty sure that this is a non issue for most of them. This is a load of bluster over nothing.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Do this
This is also a chance for our players to be shown in a bit of positive light for once
They should make a stand themselves and wear a poppy
Any fine imposed dip in their own deep pockets to pay not FIFA but to a charity of their choice like the Poppy Appeal the equivalent fine amount

Excellent idea.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
At certain times, instead of applying a blanket ban on everything, it might be an idea if Fifa say that any changes to the kit have to be submitted and are all weighed up on their own merits.

Remembrance is not a political statement, it's a form of respect. It's not promoting anything except a charity and couldn't ever do any harm.

I suppose though that would mean the people at Fifa actually doing to something for their money.... hmm

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I suppose though that would mean the people at Fifa actually doing to something for their money.... hmm

I think that vote rigging might be a more popular and lucrative option for some of them...allegedly.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
My view on this has shifted slightly since last year (when we had a debate about Celtic fans objecting to poppies on their shirts). Whilst I would still maintain that a poppy is a symbol of remembrance and not of British Militarism I can see where FIFA are coming from. I feel the poppy as a symbol is slightly more political now and I am getting slightly 'uncomfortable' with the 21st century attitude to poppy wearing which is becoming more along the lines of "wear a poppy or else!" The poppy should be about remembrance, but I feel there is increasingly an underlying sub-text that it's about supporting the foreign wars. We never used to insist that everybody on television, from newsreaders to footballers, wore a poppy and I'm not sure I'm completely believe that it's all about 'remembering sacrifice'.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
My view on this has shifted slightly since last year (when we had a debate about Celtic fans objecting to poppies on their shirts). Whilst I would still maintain that a poppy is a symbol of remembrance and not of British Militarism I can see where FIFA are coming from. I feel the poppy as a symbol is slightly more political now and I am getting slightly 'uncomfortable' with the 21st century attitude to poppy wearing which is becoming more along the lines of "wear a poppy or else!" The poppy should be about remembrance, but I feel there is increasingly an underlying sub-text that it's about supporting the foreign wars. We never used to insist that everybody on television, from newsreaders to footballers, wore a poppy and I'm not sure I'm completely believe that it's all about 'remembering sacrifice'.
I see your point but honestly feel that it's the " I wont be pressured into wearing one" camp who've made it political, there never was any pressure until the likes of Jon " being english makes me feel slightly queasy" Snow started making a point of not wearing one.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I see your point but honestly feel that it's the " I wont be pressured into wearing one" camp who've made it political, there never was any pressure until the likes of Jon " being english makes me feel slightly queasy" Snow started making a point of not wearing one.
Yeah, there have been people in the past who by their refusal to wear one have made it into a political symbol which of course it was never meant to be. Ergo, strictly speaking, FIFA are correct to point out that it falls foul of their regulations.

And for the record I wear one, despite not being a supporter of the current British foreign policy of military intervention at the drop of an (American) hat.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Yeah, there have been people in the past who by their refusal to wear one have made it into a political symbol which of course it was never meant to be. Ergo, strictly speaking, FIFA are correct to point out that it falls foul of their regulations.

And for the record I wear one, despite not being a supporter of the current British foreign policy of military intervention at the drop of an (American) hat.
Absolutely, it's never been meant as a symbol approving of our military adventures,just the poor sods charged with carrying them out , however not wearing one has become a way for some people to express their disapproval and the fifa ban doesnt particularly outrage me , its just them being a bit jobsworthy to be honest, i dont think there is any deliberate insult intended.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
I dont think thats the point..the fact that they have said you cant wear them...
Its about time we sttod up to FIFA... I think if the FA had balls we should tell fifa to get stuffed...wear the poppies! What can fifa do to us if we do?

Chuck us out of the World Cup.

ban any of the member states from playing England.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
How long have England been wearing poppies on the playing kit? is it a long traditional or a new thing? (i honestly dont know)

Only a few years. Never happened before the 1990s probably because you couldn't technically do it on a football shirt

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011

I've had friends who were killed in the service of their country. It's just a simple mark of respect.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would it maybe be possible for the FA to have a quiet word with their Spanish counterparts to see if they'd be willing for the Spanish team to wear the poppy on their kit too as a mark of respect? FIFA could hardly punish both teams I'd have thought.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
The Poppy is a symbool of remeberance and nothing more, the only way it could be remotely viewed as a politcal statement is that its existance is down to the failure of the political process.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Presumably then FIFA is not happy for adidas or umbro or other kit manufacturers to stick their COMMERCIAL TRADEMARK on an international football shirt..............................

No. Though not!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sort of related...

I thought it was a nice touch during the minute's silence at the game yesterday that the big screens showed that classic photo with the field of poppies in the foreground and the Amex in the background.
Well done to whoever's idea it was, fitted in with the occasion perfectly IMHO. :clap2:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports