Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I can see where FIFA are coming from on this, let one country get away with wearing a local symbol of national importance (Badge excepted), then who knows what else may happen. The poppy may well be innocuous but it could create a precedence for another two bit country to rile an opponent wearing one of their own which has far more sinister connotations.

Without Limits

Jan 14, 2007
Lewes Road Area
I can see where FIFA are coming from on this, let one country get away with wearing a local symbol of national importance (Badge excepted), then who knows what else may happen. The poppy may well be innocuous but it could create a precedence for another two bit country to rile an opponent wearing one of their own which has far more sinister connotations.

This.

Should be able to wear black armbands.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
FIFA's Regulations regarding Players' Equipment are that they should not carry any political, religious or commercial messages.

What a load of old cock, I am sure that there are plenty of teams whose national badge on their shirt contains an overt religious symbol, such as a cross or a star and crescent, what are they going to do next...make everyone play in strips devoid of any national identity?

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
What a load of old cock, I am sure that there are plenty of teams whose national badge on their shirt contains an overt religious symbol, such as a cross or a star and crescent, what are they going to do next...make everyone play in strips devoid of any national identity?

That's the only way for them to now retain any credibility that they clearly are losing as every day passes.

Time for Bladder and his cronies to f*** off. Not because of the poppy thing but because he is so clearly incapable of making decisions without his prejudices ruling his empty, corrupt head.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

I entirely agree with this as before you know it some dictators would use this as an excuse to peddle their crap via their national team.

Gaddafi would be one, oh hang on.............

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
show some steel and wear them anyway. Ignore the inept, power crazed morons.

Mutts Nuts

Oct 30, 2011
to say that I am incensed is an understatement.

Fifa Ban England Football Team From Wearing Poppies On Their Kit

I wish that he FA would grow a pair and just tell FIFA to f*ck off.

Fifa rules means no changes can be made to official kit and so the Football Association's request for players to wear a poppy on the eve of Remembrance Sunday was rebutted.

It is beyond beleif that the FA were stupid enough to even ask for permision, the players should have just worn them with pride .

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Seems completely understandable to me. The symbolism of the poppy can't be an issue when they make up rules like this.

Imagine what North Korea might want to put on their shirt if they were allowed. Actually, might be quite funny.

slinky

The Only Way Is Brighton
Jan 19, 2011
BN2
I dont think thats the point..the fact that they have said you cant wear them...
Its about time we sttod up to FIFA... I think if the FA had balls we should tell fifa to get stuffed...wear the poppies! What can fifa do to us if we do?

the Fans attending the game should all be wearing poppies, and singing "we are England, and we'll wear what we want!"

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Do it anyway and bring the consequences on. It'll only cause more bad feeling towards FIFA as other countries take notice.

Do this
This is also a chance for our players to be shown in a bit of positive light for once
They should make a stand themselves and wear a poppy
Any fine imposed dip in their own deep pockets to pay not FIFA but to a charity of their choice like the Poppy Appeal the equivalent fine amount

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
What's wrong with coming out wearing a Poppy and after the introductions as they go to line up just take them off. Half of FIFA would'nt be there if it was'nt for those who gave their lives!!!

bazbha

Mar 18, 2011
Hailsham
I like the sentiment of the FA wanting to put poppies on the shirts & hate FIFA (even more) for refusing. Personally however I think poppies should be a personal choice so rather than embroider them on the shirt it would be better to see the players all wearing the poppy wristband or something because of the respect they have for those that have given their lives for their country. Sadly I doubt that many would as half of them can't even manage to sing the national anthem! I hope to see most people wearing poppies at the Amex today though.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

But the poppy is used the world over as a sign or rememberance - not just here.

It's probably because Blatter and his corrupt cronies couldn't take a cut of the money from the poppy sales that they banned it !

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Any fine imposed dip in their own deep pockets to pay not FIFA but to a charity of their choice like the Poppy Appeal the equivalent fine amount

Someone suggested something similar to this on R5 this morning, that the FA should just go ahead with having a poppy on the shirt, then pay any fine not to FA but into the Poppy Appeal. I can't believe that even FIFA would stoop so low as to try and get the money back...on second thoughts, they probably would.

My healthy dislike for FIFA and how it is run has deepened somewhat by this latest dictat.

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
All the players should wear shirts underneath their kit with the words "We will remember them." on to show if/when we score.
That's what I'd be inclined to do anyway...
f*** FIFA.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
oh dear, what a storm about nothing. I never remember players having poppies on their shirts before ? suddenly its another chance to bash FIFA.

Er they are football players and if they want to "show respect" why don't they wear poppies for the remaining 22 hours of the day when they are off the pitch. Alternately they could attend a local remembrance ceremony en masse wearing their nice England blazers adorned by poppies ?

What next, operating surgeons complaining of not being able to wear poppies in theatre, Astronaughts complaining about not being able to pin one on their space suits... deep sea divers wanting waterproof poppies ?

Get a life, NOT wearing a poppy for 2 hours is not heresy

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Why would we take any notice of this FIFA decision?
Just ignore it and wear the Poppies. What are they going to do?
These bastards need telling for once and for all what we think of their tin pot dictatorship.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Several people have suggested england just put it on and pay the fine. Would it just be a fine?

If FIFA have designated the poppy a political sign, the ref is surely obliged to treat it as such, and force the team to change their kit and not allow the game to start until they do, or worse, book the players and then any yellow card received will be a red, leading to suspensions for players, and if enough get sent off, the game will be abandoned. There would then be player fines, FA fines, suspensions, and the black mark of having the game abandoned.

Sounds extreme, I know, but if FIFA have said no, and they expect England to ignore their edict, I wouldn't put it past them to "remind the referee" of the rules. Unless, they don't hate England, as everyone suggests, and are willing to give a punitive fine, while still being able to argue in future cases that they have a consistent position on shirt emblems.

paddy

Feb 2, 2005
London
oh dear, what a storm about nothing. I never remember players having poppies on their shirts before ? suddenly its another chance to bash FIFA.

Er they are football players and if they want to "show respect" why don't they wear poppies for the remaining 22 hours of the day when they are off the pitch. Alternately they could attend a local remembrance ceremony en masse wearing their nice England blazers adorned by poppies ?

What next, operating surgeons complaining of not being able to wear poppies in theatre, Astronaughts complaining about not being able to pin one on their space suits... deep sea divers wanting waterproof poppies ?

Get a life, NOT wearing a poppy for 2 hours is not heresy

I think the problem is that in all of your examples the individuals concerned are not overtly representing the nation. Here, the national side are representing England on national television actually ON Armistice Day. You would quite rightly expect other individuals who are representing the nation on television on Armistice Day to wear a poppy (such as politicians).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here