Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Fidel Castro dead.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It might be easier for the country to move on now.

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
Big questions now for President-elect Trump? Will he go the funeral? Obama will. And will he even be invited?

If he snubs, it or bad-mouths Castro he will alienate a lot of Central and South America particularly in Venezuala and the islands, who treat him like a true hero for standing up to Uncle Sam.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Big questions now for President-elect Trump? Will he go the funeral? Obama will. And will he even be invited?

If he snubs, it or bad-mouths Castro he will alienate a lot of Central and South America particularly in Venezuala and the islands, who treat him like a true hero for standing up to Uncle Sam.

It's no bad thing for any world leader to snub Venezuela. It's despicable what the regime have done to that country and the Venezuelan people.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Please look into the human rights abuses this dictator ruled over, if you want to look into facts. Yes, he improved some aspects of the Cuban's lives, but there were thousands who suffered as well.
I would politely suggest that there are many many facts and an awful lot of propaganda, from both sides to be waded through before it is possible to take an informed view of Cuba's history and the Castro regime. Overall I admire him as a person but have a lot of reservations (putting it mildly) about many of the actions of his regime. I remain unclear in my mind what options he really had at various points along the way to do things differently. Castro was not a Communist at the time of the revolution and I am certain that the US played a major role in driving the Castro regime towards the Russians and I know very well what impact that had. I have no idea how I would react personally if I knew that a powerful, paranoid and vindictive regime (as the US was) was actively attempting to both kill me and undermine all the (genuinely positive) impacts I was having in my country.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
He overthrew a wicked dictator but changed very little. His countries downfall was that they would not allow the US to dictate to them. Having visited Cuba three times I love the unspoilt country. OK so there are no tax dodging US burger and coffee shops, but is that a bad thing? The big hotel chains have moved in but they are owned and run by locals.
Be very interesting who goes to the funeral though, Obama & Charles for US and the UK. Will China, Russia, Germany etc send high ranking personal? Will they all retire to the bar for a Mojito or Cuba Libre and discuss who will invade first?

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

You've answered that yourself.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

people getting a bit obsessed about what Trump does or doesn't do, sees or speaks to. he isnt a head of state yet and so wouldn't be expected to attend nor be invited.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Was he any worse than what he replaced?
I'm not sure he was,he just had different victims, probably better than the Duvall family in Hiati, but, definitely not a benign dictatorship. I do admire the way he shipped all his criminals off to Miami when Carter(?) offered to take any Cubans who wanted to go to America.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Was he any worse than what he replaced?
I'm not sure he was,he just had different victims, probably better than the Duvall family in Hiati, but, definitely not a benign dictatorship. I do admire the way he shipped all his criminals off to Miami when Carter(?) offered to take any Cubans who wanted to go to America.

Al Pachino was excellent in Scarface .

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You're an ignorant retard.

I've just been to Cuba and Castro is still revered as a total hero there. Rightly so for everything he did for the people while the USA constantly did their best to screw them over. Try learning a few facts before posting crap like that.

Mao is still revered in China, doesn't mean the bloke wasn't a total and utter piece of crap.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here