Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] FFS Tony Bloom

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The whole footballing world can see our continual failings in the final third. Including Tony Bloom. ESPECIALLY Tony Bloom. If he fails to address those failings, then it's clearly a conscious decision for whatever reason :shrug:

Or he can't find someone in the price range he's looking for

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
We’re a Doberman with no teeth.

So fkn obvious, we have A SINGLE GLARING deficiency, no decent striker.

Season after season, just a striker away from being an exceptional team.

Potter’s craft wasted.

We ARE a Jamie Vardy away from being a Champions League place challenging team!

Anyone got one down the back of the sofa?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Who has 'received' £500M? Earned it or been given it or loaned it? And who has had the £500M?

FFS Tony Bloom - we need a proper owner who is committed to this club, eh? :facepalm:

Don’t the Albion receive over 100 million for every year they stay in the PL?

If he chooses not to spend enough on strikers, that is his decision of course. If we want to be a top ten club surely we need to invest to get there or do we do it on a wing and a prayer?

If our ambition is just to stay in the PL we are probably on course. Top ten will need more investment upfront imo

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I keep posting this. £67M losses. Maybe we should just go for it - another £10M or so of losses won’t hurt.

We’re turning into the exact same fan base we hated when we were in league one sat piss wet at the Withdean. We have premier league football, we are competing well and we are losing huge amounts of money and we are still not happy.

Sad times where we forget where we have come from

I don't see the negativity as that at all.

The club have bought this on themselves.

Every season we get snippets of congratulatory back slapping.
Whether it be direct interviews or through intermediaries.

The 3 at the top, the manager, the recruitment team.

We all know all about the holistic approach, being smarter, doing 'it' differently.
Then they've spent all of the AMEX behind the curve in the final third of the pitch.
Just throwing out David Brent excuses as each window slams shut with no marquee signing.

That's been just about tolerated because most of us understand.

But if the main man starts throwing around Top 10 and the only thing stopping that is the self same hindrance we've sat through season after AMEX era season, then they only have themselves to blame.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The problem isn’t just the lack of striker - our midfield (trossard exception) doesn’t score enough
Yep we’ve all been saying this too. Has been the case since we arrived in the PL. Propper and Stephens were like a noughties current account in terms of their rate of return.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We ARE a Jamie Vardy away from being a Champions League place challenging team!

Anyone got one down the back of the sofa?

Ings cost Stains £20m.

The “we’re not in the market for the Salah’s” argument is deliberately selective.

Colossal sums wasted in fees and wages on Jahanbakhsh, Andone and Locadia.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I keep posting this. £67M losses. Maybe we should just go for it - another £10M or so of losses won’t hurt.

We’re turning into the exact same fan base we hated when we were in league one sat piss wet at the Withdean. We have premier league football, we are competing well and we are losing huge amounts of money and we are still not happy.

Sad times where we forget where we have come from

Agree. Potter’s comment about the booing and needing a history lesson on the club were valid. People whinging about Tony Bloom not putting in enough of his own money need to check their entitlement. It’s worse than over entitled Newcastle fans; at least they could complain that Mike Ashley was making a profit and not reinvesting.

And people using TB’s top 10 aim as a stick to beat him with is just embarrassing to see. Would you be happy if he said he was aiming for 17th every year?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Ings cost Stains £20m.

The “we’re not in the market for the Salah’s” argument is deliberately selective.

Colossal sums wasted in fees and wages on Jahanbakhsh, Andone and Locadia.

So Saints got lucky, we didn’t, THAT is the problem, you can chuck as much money as you like at the “problem” and there is still no guarantee you will solve the problem, as you have so ably demonstrated.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nobody reviewing last season can come to the conclusion:-

'All we need to do for a top 10 finish is give unWelbeck another season'.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
But if the main man starts throwing around Top 10 and the only thing stopping that is the self same hindrance we've sat through season after AMEX era season, then they only have themselves to blame.

August 2010

Tony Bloom says top-ten status remains the long-term goal for Albion.

The club owner and chairman revealed the objective just ahead of last season.

Bloom said: “That’s a long-term vision. That’s not going to change.

“That wouldn’t have even changed had we got relegated. That is there.

“I’m not saying it’s going to be easy and I wouldn’t want to give a time frame on it

Is your definition of long term - next season?

Surely anyone with a bit of sanity realises under Bloom it has been gradual improvements season over season. We are improving.

There will always be areas to improve and I agree we are woeful up front. But let’s look at where we are and our situation?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
We’re a Doberman with no teeth.

So fkn obvious, we have A SINGLE GLARING deficiency, no decent striker.

Season after season, just a striker away from being an exceptional team.

Potter’s craft wasted.

Any craftsman needs the right tools to do the job.

A tactical wizard Potter may be, but even he can't make a silk purse out of a sow's Eredivisie.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
August 2010

Tony Bloom says top-ten status remains the long-term goal for Albion.

The club owner and chairman revealed the objective just ahead of last season.

Is your definition of long term - next season?

Surely anyone with a bit of sanity realises under Bloom it has been gradual improvements season over season. We are improving.

There will always be areas to improve and I agree we are woeful up front. But let’s look at where we are and our situation?

Which is why.at the start of this season, he said he expected a Top 10.finish as we'd been at this long enough and need to progress beyond bottom 6.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Which is why.at the start of this season, he said he expected a Top 10.finish as we'd been at this long enough and need to progress beyond bottom 6.

No he didn’t. You’re better than this.

Bloom said: “That’s a long-term vision. That’s not going to change.

“That wouldn’t have even changed had we got relegated. That is there.

“I’m not saying it’s going to be easy and I wouldn’t want to give a time frame on it”

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
For a gambler he seems very risk averse in coughing up for a striker. Embarrassing up top again.

I feel for Maups and I appreciate his running but **** me he’s shit. The Guardian even running an article about his history of shocking misses. Unacceptable.

Not potters fault. I don’t condone the boos at the end but I also think perhaps GP didn’t quite understand them / the frustration. A boo doesn’t quite do it justice. I would have gone with a collective sigh. Maybe would have been more accurate.

Yet another game we should have won (against a bottom 6 team) and we’re trudging off with a point. Amazed Trossard stays motivated. Mooy couldn’t be arsed. It’s not just our points we need to worry about now - also keeping the rest of the squad happy. Must be so demoralising watching some mug spurn chance after chance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Don’t the Albion receive over 100 million for every year they stay in the PL?

If he chooses not to spend enough on strikers, that is his decision of course. If we want to be a top ten club surely we need to invest to get there or do we do it on a wing and a prayer?

If our ambition is just to stay in the PL we are probably on course. Top ten will need more investment upfront imo

I think they have a lot of bills to pay with that £100M - sadly in this day and age, everyone from players to police, to insurance companies and cleaners, all want paying. Granted, we get £100M every year we are in the PL. Remind me once again, how much more than £100M do we spend each year just t stay there?

In high finance terms.I believe it is called a 'Net Loss', the dire consequences of which are ameliorated by someone chucking in a large amounnt of his own money. Forgive me if I'm not a financial whizz-kid, but that is pretty much how it works, at the 'Janet and John' level of high finance at least.

Last edited:

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
£67M losses. How much do you think we should be losing in order to be more competitive ?

Perhaps Portsmouth model is the way to go

Did you read my post? I said I don't think it's even a marque expensive signing that we need, but to end up in a situation where we have Maupay and Locadia as our striker options was ridiculous.

We've spent money in other areas (like Mwepu) and put in large bids for players that we didn't get over the line so the money is clearly there.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
So get me right here…people are thinking we need a striker he’s ?

Fat Boy Fat

Aug 21, 2020
Luck, or scouting/research/actively looking for opportunities/paying the wages sought by Ings et al?

So £20m on a player with a history of injuries, in particular hamstring. Bit like our attempts to keep Wellbeck fiit - a bit of luck required - oh, and by the way Maupay has scored more than Ings this season, despite the glaring misses.

Signing a striker to get those guaranteed goals is always a gamble/luck.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
We've spent money in other areas (like Mwepu) and put in large bids for players that we didn't get over the line so the money is clearly there.

Exactly - so no one can blame the club or Bloom or whoever.

The alternative is we take more punts on Locadias….

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here