Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] FFS More train disruptions announced for July 2 - 8

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
So the argument that the people who educate our children should be paid less was succesful. Well done to everyone who campaigned for that. Teachers should be paid double what they currently get imo.

Teachers median salary is £39,000, pension contributions to their generous scheme are 33% and they receive 13 weeks holiday. In my family are a head and a teacher, they take the entire 13 weeks, not marking and preparing.

The median salary shouldn’t be anything like £78,000. That’s 3x the average UK salary with double the holiday and that pension scheme.

Newbie teachers salaries are approaching £30,000. I think we need to look at that, teachers shouldn’t be less than £40,000 imho.

Jimmy Grimble

Teachers median salary is £39,000, pension contributions to their generous scheme are 33% and they receive 13 weeks holiday. In my family are a head and a teacher, they take the entire 13 weeks, not marking and preparing.

The median salary shouldn’t be anything like £78,000. That’s 3x the average UK salary with double the holiday and that pension scheme.

Newbie teachers salaries are approaching £30,000. I think we need to look at that, teachers shouldn’t be less than £40,000 imho.
Have you got a source for that median figure?

My experience of teachers is the complete opposite to yours in terms of doing work in the holidays. Especially headteachers. Absolutely no chance a headteacher does no work in those 13 weeks.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

My experience of teachers is the complete opposite to yours in terms of doing work in the holidays. Especially headteachers. Absolutely no chance a headteacher does no work in those 13 weeks.

I followed this through, education authorities and schools provided the data to the civil service.

On your last point my sister in law takes the full 13 weeks on foreign travel and in a holiday home in Spain. A standing joke in the family but literally, she’s collected from school on the last day of each half term and driven to Gatwick. She‘s an incredibly organised person who works hard in term time.

IMG_4529.png

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

A follow up comment. Some head teachers try to manipulate higher paid teachers out of the school, this has been covered on R4 or R5 (I wouldn’t have a link) and a poster here recently mentioned this happened (to his wife I think).

Jimmy Grimble

A follow up comment. Some head teachers try to manipulate higher paid teachers out of the school, this has been covered on R4 or R5 (I wouldn’t have a link) and a poster here recently mentioned this happened (to his wife I think).
Yeah I have heard of that. Anyone who’s been teaching over 15 years will likely be on the maximum amount that a teacher can earn without taking on leadership responsibilities. If a head thinks they’re not contributing enough or if their school budget is looking grim, they may try to manipulate them out. It is largely because their school budget is extremely hard to balance due to insufficient funding. They could save approx 15k if they managed to offload an experienced teacher and appoint a newly qualified one.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We've got a long anticipated fun trip to London tomorrow, including the meadows/park by the Olympic Stadium.

I only cottoned on today that ASLEF are at it again. Only an overtime ban, but I envisage a combination of their spite and an Southern/Thameslink over-the-top reaction, making train travel shit.

Would you chance train travel?

If not, what's a viable road journey from Brighton to Stratford?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Last time if halved the trains on my Horsham to Victoria commute to one an hour. Needless to say the cancelled ones were my regular morning and evening ones. Expecting similar tomorrow 😡😡

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Last time if halved the trains on my Horsham to Victoria commute to one an hour. Needless to say the cancelled ones were my regular morning and evening ones. Expecting similar tomorrow 😡😡
I don't suppose there is any last minute finding out which ones are cancelled? I'm Portslade to London tomorrow.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
We've got a long anticipated fun trip to London tomorrow, including the meadows/park by the Olympic Stadium.

I only cottoned on today that ASLEF are at it again. Only an overtime ban, but I envisage a combination of their spite and an Southern/Thameslink over-the-top reaction, making train travel shit.

As an alternative, check the Ebbsfleet service and if running drive there for a 10 min train in. You'll miss the tunnel aggro and save time if you are prepared to drive it.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I don't suppose there is any last minute finding out which ones are cancelled? I'm Portslade to London tomorrow.

Not from experience last time. For example I left the office in Tottenham last time and my train showed “on time” but when I got to Victoria it was cancelled.

Both National Rail & Southern websites mention a “special timetable” but have no links to where you can see it :tosser:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
theres a replacement timetable in place, if you use National Rail it'll show the running trains. these should run as they expect to have the cover.
im up to London for a social, risking a late/last train return.

correction, National Rail was showing expected timetable, now shows the regular timetable and note that Journey Planner is not correct.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that was me . Mrs V was a teacher in an inner city Brighton Primary School. She was on roughly £28 K pa with about 25 years experience. The head had to make cuts as the budget was frozen and she was one of the higher earners. She was effectively constructively dismissed as she was told that she was going to get extra " Observations " and demands for increased lesson plans and extra evidence plans. She was overcome by anxiety and depression, was signed off sick, was made an " offer " to leave on a no quibble arrangement of about 6 months salary.

This is an increasing occurrence in education, get rid of older, more experienced teachers on higher salaries and replace them with NQT's on lower salary.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

I’m working in London tomorrow and Tuesday. I’m staying up Monday night. Boss signed off the expense thanks to the trains.

Selfish drivers taking action for a few quid in a 60k salary and costing industry millions.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I’m working in London tomorrow and Tuesday. I’m staying up Monday night. Boss signed off the expense thanks to the trains.

Selfish drivers taking action for a few quid in a 60k salary and costing industry millions.

Including tourism. My son spends a lot of time in Brighton centre/seafront in decent weather. He said despite sunshine, the place was dead over a recent weekend when the mainline was effectively shutdown due to industrial action.

That‘s not victimless. Thousands of jobs and small businesses rely on those critical sunny weekends.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm not a regular commuter, but I'm supposed to be going up to London and back for a meeting the day before a strike later this month. Are the services affected at all in the run-up ?

Concerned, of Haywards Heath.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I'm not a regular commuter, but I'm supposed to be going up to London and back for a meeting the day before a strike later this month. Are the services affected at all in the run-up ?

Concerned, of Haywards Heath.
They’re normally shit the morning after but ok the day before

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Decided that we’re driving to Abbey Wood underground station, the terminus of the shiny new Elizabeth Line near Plumstead. The 10 mile urban drive from the M25, will be the only nuisance.

Just 26 minutes on the tube to Bond Street, later the line works for us to Stratford.

I’ll only ditch the plan if I see roads are clogged before heading out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here