Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFS Barnes!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Someone with the knack of scoring would have put away more than 4 chances (plus 2 pens) in half a season.

I liked Barnes as a player when he didn't let the red mist get the better of him, but let's not re-write history; CMS is a more natural goal poacher.

CMS, no way. Would love to know CMS goals per Championship starts (for both P'boro and Brighton). I suspect it's a shockingly low % for an out and out 'striker'.

With Barnes, he was often played out of position, assisting the midfield battle in his Championship Albion days, and did a good job.

Dyche is no fool - look at Burnley's league position, and he can spot a good player.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
There was a point in the game, where the ball was dead in the north 6 yard area when Rodriguez just looked at it. Barnes would have thrown everything at it, leg, boot, ankle, whatever to get it over the line.

Rodriguez is half the striker Barnes is and was a panic buy. Hopefully Hoskins will take his place for the next match

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
Was an excellent header from him and was unlucky not to have two! He would have been on the end of one of those crosses for us yesterday

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think Ashley can be quite smug about the move he made personally. Not good enough for a team outside the play offs, where many considered him not good enough but now has a chance to help a team to auto promotion. Good luck to him, always gave 100% and continued to give his all even when we turned down a bid in August. No loss of focus from Ashley:clap2:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Dream on, Barnes would not have had the pace to get a shot in when Lingard 'missed'.

I agree about missing Crofts though.

Lingaard has pace? Is he aware of this? Someone should really tell him because he keeps on being outpaced by what look like fairly slow defenders

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
AB would have had 2 in 2 minutes but for a brilliant point-blank save by Hamer. I expect him to start the next two games at least with Ings maybe back for the Watford match on April 5.

Sam Vokes now has 20 for the season - not many people would have put money on that!

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
AB would have had 2 in 2 minutes but for a brilliant point-blank save by Hamer. I expect him to start the next two games at least with Ings maybe back for the Watford match on April 5.

Sam Vokes now has 20 for the season - not many people would have put money on that!

Not even Sam Vokes' MUM would have put money on that.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
*shudder* CMS would have been running about headlessly, alternating between directing traffic on the A27, polishing the silverware in the museum and serving coffee in the Privilege Lounge. Anywhere requiring frantic activity apart from that wee small area of the pitch where we require our strikers to ply their trade.

So wrong. 11 in 29 in better than 6 in 24. Do the maths.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I think Ashley can be quite smug about the move he made personally. Not good enough for a team outside the play offs, where many considered him not good enough but now has a chance to help a team to auto promotion. Good luck to him, always gave 100% and continued to give his all even when we turned down a bid in August. No loss of focus from Ashley:clap2:

A player who is only playing because Ings is injured. Yes, he is entitled to be very smug... ... NOT

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
A player who is only playing because Ings is injured. Yes, he is entitled to be very smug... ... NOT

Smug in the same way that people can be smug about Gus only being a League Cup finalist and failing in the Premier League, while we fail to get there.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
So wrong. 11 in 29 in better than 6 in 24. Do the maths.

If memory serves CMS went through a long goal drought before one went in off his backside deflected from a Barnes shot. If memory further serves, Barnes also did a huge amount of work for a second CMS goal in the same game. Memory don't serve 100% nowadays tho, so if anybody could kindly confirm...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
And you clearly never saw and recognised many natural-born goal poachers in your life. Oh well.
Who isn't very good at scoring.
That's definitely a once in a lifetime player.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If memory serves CMS went through a long goal drought before one went in off his backside deflected from a Barnes shot. If memory further serves, Barnes also did a huge amount of work for a second CMS goal in the same game. Memory don't serve 100% nowadays tho, so if anybody could kindly confirm...

Albion 5 Barnsley 1 25/8/12 The shot that went in off CMS should have made it a hat trick for Barnes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here