Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFS Barnes!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This is all very pointless.

Barnes has left and we all said our piece then.
Gus has left and we all said our piece then.
Bridcutt has left and we all said our piece then.

I'm out before this gets as stoooopid as usual.

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Sorry but I genuinely do believe that. Ashley Barnes has a striker's instinctive, er, instinct for being in the right place at the right time. You can't teach it, you either have it or you don't. Players like, say, CMS, don't. Their game is based on running around a lot and being slipped a through ball. Which may work sometimes in the lower leagues, but won't work often enough here.

I think a bit more running around would make a sensible plan B. We were very static and predictable up front today apart from Lingard who made dome decent runs in the first half. Would like to see CMS link up with Ulloa before the end of the season. Nothing to lose now.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So that's 5 league goals for Barnes, of which 2 were penalties. Prolific.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I think a bit more running around would make a sensible plan B. We were very static and predictable up front today apart from Lingard who made dome decent runs in the first half. Would like to see CMS link up with Ulloa before the end of the season. Nothing to lose now.

I'd like to see Hoskins link up with Ulloa. Lost all faith in CMS's game. Hard to believe he can play any other way than he played before his injury. Which was of little use to us then and would be of little more use now. IMHO, like.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Sorry but I genuinely do believe that. Ashley Barnes has a striker's instinctive, er, instinct for being in the right place at the right time. You can't teach it, you either have it or you don't. Players like, say, CMS, don't. Their game is based on running around a lot and being slipped a through ball. Which may work sometimes in the lower leagues, but won't work often enough here.

Agree 100%

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Barnes is a striker who may well soon be playing for a Premiership club - he is NOT a Premiership striker!!

I don't think he will be playing for a Premiership club because he's not a rugby player. And they don't have strikers in rugby.

Plake

Unregistered User
Nov 7, 2009
Brighton seafront
Good on Ashley. I sense even when he's banging them in in the PL next season there'll still be morons on here doing the "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA FLUKE LA LA LA LA RUBBISH LA LA LA LA"

Idiots.

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
We're missing Barnes desperately at the moment.
Ulloa's partnership with Lingard has not clicked. Spanish Rodney has not adapted to The Championship either.
We should have just given Barnes the contract he wanted. 'Hindsight is a beautiful thing' Same thing could have been said Murray as well...

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Think Barnes would have scored the chance Lindgard missed, he also might have defended better for their first goal.

But all very hypothetical, he would have probably missed a couple as well, but IMO we are weaker without him......

The biggest loss, however remains Crofts.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Think Barnes would have scored the chance Lindgard missed, he also might have defended better for their first goal.

But all very hypothetical, he would have probably missed a couple as well, but IMO we are weaker without him......

The biggest loss, however remains Crofts.

Dream on, Barnes would not have had the pace to get a shot in when Lingard 'missed'.

I agree about missing Crofts though.

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
I'd like to see Hoskins link up with Ulloa. Lost all faith in CMS's game. Hard to believe he can play any other way than he played before his injury. Which was of little use to us then and would be of little more use now. IMHO, like.

Is this the same CMS who was our top scorer before he got injured and even then Barnes couldn't score more than him, Barnes is gone get over it nobody knows if he would've scored today. Don't get me wrong I liked Barnes but he didn't want to sign a new contract so it was better to get some money than nothing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree 100%

100% agree too.
Barnes was far from a perfect footballer, but had the knack of scoring .... something we've lacked since Murray.
CMS - some may have rose-tinted images of a fantastic forward, but in his P'boro Championship season, and his games for the Albion, his endless chasing down of opponents was about the best facet of his game. A lower league striker, who made the best of his limited natural footballing ability. Bet he performs well at bleep fitness tests though.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
The former Brighton striker was only denied a second when his header was kept out by goalkeeper Ben Hamer at point-blank range.
Keeper did well? As per Gerken's fantastic one-handed save in the second half today. It happens. :shrug:

No, it was the fact that Barnes had 3/4 of the goal to aim for with a simple header, but somehow managed to direct it back across goal to the keeper.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
100% agree too.
Barnes was far from a perfect footballer, but had the knack of scoring .... something we've lacked since Murray.

Someone with the knack of scoring would have put away more than 4 chances (plus 2 pens) in half a season.

I liked Barnes as a player when he didn't let the red mist get the better of him, but let's not re-write history; CMS is a more natural goal poacher.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here