FFs Barnes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Good debate I started here ! Exactly as I said, he does divide opinion. I'm a true fan and have been attending matches since Jimmy Langley was captain and Peter Harburn was the best centre forward I had seen. It was a long time ago !! I've been there watching in every division and as I said, like everyone else, I have an opinion. I'm not knocking Barnes, as some comments suggest, in fact I said he is young and has improved a great deal, I was just asking peoples views on whether or not you consider he should be selected ahead of Noone, Assulin, Sparrow, Razak, CMS, Vokes, Buckley etc. There comes a time when class has to take priority and given our recent acquisitions and increased strength in depth, it is class that has to govern team selection. The higher the level you play at, the more you must cherish possessions because class teams capitalise on errors. The Liverpool game highlighted that fact. We weren't 5 goals inferior as a team, but our errors led to goals. Ash has his critics and his supporters and I accept he is being asked to play a role that is different to what he played last season. He has adapted very well and I, along with everyone else was cheering his goals yesterday, but I still think we now have other players at the club who might be more able to fill that role more creatively. Two swallows dont make a summer and two goals dont make a player.

Sorry. It is not a good mass debate. After every single game somebody has to post something negative about Ashley Barnes or Ryan Harley. It just feeds the need that some Brighton fans have for a hate figure. This is not a modern phenomenon and I have supported the club almost as long as you and can remember the vitriol hurled at Windross who was nowhere near as good a player as Ashley Barnes.

Curiously there are few comments made about things like Craig Noone's loss of form or Lewis Dunk not playing well in 3 successive games. The manager obviously noticed but the usual suspects on NSC didn't because it wasn't part of their predictable agenda.

Having followed the Albion through some very bleak years I get increasingly pi**ed off by those who need a sacrificial victim when so much is going magnificently for the team. FFS Can't we be a bit more positive - of course some of the current team would struggle in the PL but lets not drone on about it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It just feeds the need that some Brighton fans have for a hate figure. This is not a modern phenomenon and I have supported the club almost as long as you and can remember the vitriol hurled at Windross who was nowhere near as good a player as Ashley Barnes.

Graham Winstanley!

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Graham Winstanley!

He was as slow as a cart horse and got ripped apart in the famous 4-0 drubbing at Swindon that was abandoned in 76-77. Strangely, Mark Lawrenson cited him as a key influence in improving his reading of the game. Winstanley had great positional sense whatever his faults......and yes I was guilty of quietly moaning about him after games.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I'm not a Barnes lover or hater - I base my views on what I see when I watch the games.

Yesterday Barnes had probably his best game for us - especially in the first half - and scored two great goals.

As much as I rate Barnes and always have, despite scoring 2 good goals I did'nt think Saturday was one of his better games and going by Gus Poyet's quote on the official site it looks like Barnes himself agrees.

" When a striker doesn't feel like he's had the best of games but still scores two goals they have got to go home happy "

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
We don't like players who score for us. Look at Murray, now Barnes.

This is what is putting Macca off, he wants to be liked by the fans, and realizes that scoring goals is not the way to go to please you lot. :moo:

Why don't the powers that be at NSC just have a sticky for each member of the first team squad and then merge every thread that has been started about them and in the future. It would be interesting to see the whole history of opinions about each player as fans views change over a period of time.

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
Brighton and Hove Albion ' supporters ' are supposed to do what it says on the tin - Support !!! Ffs leave the boy alone !! If you believe berating him or any other our players will help his or their confidence, wrong so, so wrong.!! take a good , long look in all your respective mirrors and see the reflections of a bunch of miserable c**ts , who are born moaners.

Attachments

• if-i-look-disinterested-don-t-worry-you-re-just-boring-the-shit-out-of-me_design.png
    if-i-look-disinterested-don-t-worry-you-re-just-boring-the-shit-out-of-me_design.png
    18.8 KB · Views: 99

phatsam99

Jul 6, 2011
Barnes haters can bore off...... End off!!! reason they dont like him is cos they didn't see what he did last season as they didn't even watch Brighton last season. He's season is sooooo bad that he's our top scorer and spend half his time in def, and has played a lot less games than CMS and others. So what does that make of them? If at the Amex you hear someone moaning about him please just remind them they need to leave a little earlier to get home for the man u game on the telly

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
My view on Ashley has always been that he gets into great positions but can make glaring misses not just wrong side of the post shots. Recently - in fact until Saturday - he's been played out of position. What we saw once again v Ipswich is that when played up front he can be deadly. He also used to look a little disengaged ay times - although no longer. And of course he does his falling down, which riles people.

I'd love to know more about the role he is being asked to play. Gus says we dot appreciate way he Ian being asked to do, so tell us.

Sent from my field radio

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I don't think opinion is divided at all. He is hugely popular with most fans with only the occasional idiot suggesting otherwise. Of course on NSC it looks a more even split because these same numpties are the ones who start threads on how crap he is, only to get shouted down by 10-15 people.

Tiresome debate. Poyet picks him because he does as he's told, he has a good footballing brain, and he is increasingly looking like the most natural finisher at the club .

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I dont doubt people have supported the club for a long time but that doesnt mean they know more, you mention everything he did wrong in the game but he ended up with 2 goals, so when he does get it perfect just imagine what devastating affect it could have, everyone has there opinion but i dont think slating our own player is productive

Ok, I'm back then. First, I am not a Barnes 'hater'. I thought when he was here on loan he was a good front player and scored some good goals. Last season, he again did well for us and I always thought he was good enough for the team. His only problem seemed to be confidence and that when he was flying he was scoring goals but when he wasn't his game was pretty poor. Lately he has had some good games for us when he has done the job GP gave him excellently, for example at Palace. Yesterday, he did end up with two goals but his contribution prior to that was very poor. Far too many misplaced paces, easily knocked of the ball and in the first half was put clear on the right side of the box and despite a good first touch, failed to even get a shot before being closed down. Took his goals well but even GP said he was going to sub him before he scored. So all those that think he had a poor game and should have come off have the same line of thought as GP, not the crowd that sit blindly on the 'gus bus'.

And I know just because people have been watching football for many years doesn't necessarily make them an expert but it does make them a fan and for some idiots who have probably been going and supporting the club for considerably less time to suggest they are not is moronic.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Ah, so you were trying to help. Did you think that Gus would hear this voice from the crowd and change his tactics? You know that's not going to happen. All that can happen is that a) you piss Gus off, because he doesn't want to manage for a club with ignorant fans and b) you knock the confidence of the player, making his performance worse.

You need to be thinking: Is Gus the right manager for us. If yes, support him and his decisions, if no, carry on as you are.

Nice singling out there. Loads of people thought the same so there you go.

Brighton and Hove Albion ' supporters ' are supposed to do what it says on the tin - Support !!! Ffs leave the boy alone !! If you believe berating him or any other our players will help his or their confidence, wrong so, so wrong.!! take a good , long look in all your respective mirrors and see the reflections of a bunch of miserable c**ts , who are born moaners.

well said bruv

loved seeing Ash score two beauties yesterday - still hasn't shut the haters up though has it? whats the boy got to do - shit golden nuggets out of his arse whilst wheeling away to celebrate?

frankly embarrassed to hear our 'fans' hurling abuse from the stands at a lad doing his best for our team.

as a previous poster said - fine, have your opionions - just leave them outside the stadium & get behind the (whole) team
:facepalm:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Its one think having a shout at a player when you're frustrated. Quite another when you make it your business to slag a player off everytime he makes an error. That simply can't be helpful. We had one of these in c block wsl and he was rightly mauled when Ashley goals went in.

Sent from my field radio

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
No not thread closed. Your acting like someone who just looks at BBC website and says 'oh barnes scored two goals, must be an ok player'. The fact is the first 65 minutes it was like we were playing with ten men and after his goal he only improved slightly. As for the guy saying "fishing", it's not fishing, it's an opinion that has lots of foundation.

it would be like playing with ten men if he wasn't doing loads of defensive work and getting on the ball a lot in attacking situations.
His passing wasn't great, but he did a good shift for the team and ended up with two good goals

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports