Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFs Barnes

Bexhillian

Jan 18, 2011
Never saw enough of Hoskins to know for sure but currently I would say Barnes, he seems to be both footed as well which is rare!

Mistasita

May 7, 2011
totally agree with Drew here , most of us can remember past players who invited differing opinions ,or where they fitted in various pecking orders etc. We just get a bit frustrated with certain players , it is nothing personal ... Razak raised the bar by about a mile yesterday which just highlighted AB's not so great contribution , other than his very well taken goals. look it is a luxury to be debating this rather than 'can we escape relegation ?' It is all about perspective.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
Perhaps other players do it far less frequently than Mr Barnes. There was a passage of play yesterday in the second half before he scored where he cocked up 5 TIMES in less than 5 minutes, whether it be a mis-placed pass, lack of control or one instance when he fell over his own feet. 2 goals (first one well taken) have blinded some people on here to his performance yesterday. 3 headers away from corners do not warrant a place in the team, he had a shocker yesterday despite the goals

And anyone who says 'Gus is in charge, blah blah, blah' is missing the point. People are allowed to have differing opinions to the manager and it was no surprise from where I was stading in the North that so many people were on his back because the team were carrying him yesterday and he was poor.

if you and others can't see the quality of finishing and the job he does for us quite frankly you and others are a bunch of mugs.

great young player learning as he goes who gives his all for the albion you and others should be ashamed of yourselves.

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
He's 22. He's started 71 games for Brighton, and scored 35 goals, despite playing a great deal of those games either wide left, or in a very deep role. If we were signing a player with those stats, we'd be excited by them. And we'd be paying £2m for him...

So true. Some times people don't realise how good someone is until they leave.

BHAFC_Pandapops

Citation Needed
Feb 16, 2011
barnes is shit.

barnes scores

barnes is still shit!

barnes scores.

sake. these guys need to shut the f*** up.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Fair play to you. Unfortunately there are far too many fans within our ranks that can only see Barnes as a striker. They moan and jeer when he loses the ball but fall silent when he heads a corner clear or breaks up an attack! He is frustrating at times, but he's a nuisance to play against and ultimately he does score goals!!

Edit. It's beyond me how somebody can start a thread moaning about a player who scored 2 goals in a 3-0 win :shrug:
this

Ken Newbury

Feb 6, 2006
1/2 mile from LDC country
I'm not a Barnes lover or hater - I base my views on what I see when I watch the games.

Yesterday Barnes had probably his best game for us - especially in the first half - and scored two great goals.

I was then amazed to see people on NSC within minutes of a 3-0 win slating Barnes - which I think is now a habit rather than a true-fact based view - out of what I can only imagine is an unjustified and irrational personal hatred of the guy.

Barnes is young, he is playing a style of game as instructed by his manager and can score goals.

Personally I'm embarrassed for the idiots who lay into him consistently as it clearly shows up their complete lack of understanding of football.

That's my view and I'm entitled to it, as entitled as those who make an idiot of themselves every single week by unjustifiably laying into him.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
if you and others can't see the quality of finishing and the job he does for us quite frankly you and others are a bunch of mugs.

great young player learning as he goes who gives his all for the albion you and others should be ashamed of yourselves.

I've highlighted a few bits, just because they made me laugh

Bunch of mugs for not watching a game through rose tinted specs and that irrespective of being played out of position yesterday, the man made numerous mistakes throughout the game and nothing seems to change

A great young player? No

I should be ashamed? No again. Didn't boo him, but I've watched enough live football for 30 years to realise that he was poor yesterday in so many areas and two goals and two good headers-away from corners does not constitute a good game in my eyes.....and I'll think you find in the eyes of a large minority of people at the ground yesterday (perhaps those that don't sit on computers all day)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not a fierce critic of Barnes but I still think he has a lot of development left and I'm also confident that he could get to a level where he'd hold his own at a higher level. That said I thought he was pretty poor yesterday up until the point he scored, indeed I thought it was his poorest showing for quite a while.

Just listened to the Gus interview and he was saying the same so thankful for that.

Barnes has loads of potential but I am a little mystified why he seems to be the first name Gus will put on his team sheet ... still if we continue to win and Barnes continues to score then carry on .. I won't complain!

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

What, for having an opinion??

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Barnes does whatever job Gus asks him to do, which this year has mainly consisted of filling the new unglamorous position of Defending Forward, which he has done admirably. Yesterday he was out of touch, and he was about to get hooked before his goal. Still a good player and more importantly a team player. May well not achieve proper premiership quality but can see him having a long successful career at this level - possibly reinvented as a solid MF with the bonus of a great instinct in front of goal.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
He's 22. He's started 71 games for Brighton, and scored 35 goals, despite playing a great deal of those games either wide left, or in a very deep role. If we were signing a player with those stats, we'd be excited by them. And we'd be paying £2m for him...

This is very true, I don't think he is taking the championship by storm but I've no problem with him being a regular for us. He works hard to link the midfield and attack and does a lot of graft that isn't a flattering role.

I am shocked that he gets such a grilling on NSC considering how well we are doing and how key he has been especially since the start of the year

beefypigeon

Aug 14, 2008
Perhaps other players do it far less frequently than Mr Barnes. There was a passage of play yesterday in the second half before he scored where he cocked up 5 TIMES in less than 5 minutes, whether it be a mis-placed pass, lack of control or one instance when he fell over his own feet. 2 goals (first one well taken) have blinded some people on here to his performance yesterday. 3 headers away from corners do not warrant a place in the team, he had a shocker yesterday despite the goals

And anyone who says 'Gus is in charge, blah blah, blah' is missing the point. People are allowed to have differing opinions to the manager and it was no surprise from where I was stading in the North that so many people were on his back because the team were carrying him yesterday and he was poor.

You clearly know very little about football let's be honest

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm going to give up on this thread. Seems the rose tinted spec brigade can't see the wood for the trees.

Is the 'wood' a few poor first touches, that we are failing to see, through the 'trees' of a career ratio of a goal every two starts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here