Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFs Barnes

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We had the same discussion in League One. All being well we will have the same discussion in the Premiership. And I can see the post match Champions League final thread ....... apart from the two goals - what did Ashley Barnes actually do ?

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Soooo...apparently he had either one of his best or one of his worst games yesterday; his all-round play was either excellent or poor; and his finishing is either excellent and natural or appaulling. Thanks for clearing it up NSC. :thumbsup:

Amexican

May 21, 2011
I'm not a Barnes lover or hater - I base my views on what I see when I watch the games.

Yesterday Barnes had probably his best game for us - especially in the first half - and scored two great goals.

I was then amazed to see people on NSC within minutes of a 3-0 win slating Barnes - which I think is now a habit rather than a true-fact based view - out of what I can only imagine is an unjustified and irrational personal hatred of the guy.

Barnes is young, he is playing a style of game as instructed by his manager and can score goals.

Personally I'm embarrassed for the idiots who lay into him consistently as it clearly shows up their complete lack of understanding of football.

That's my view and I'm entitled to it, as entitled as those who make an idiot of themselves every single week by unjustifiably laying into him.

Well said...and how many of his critics on here would have had the bottle to take that penalty at Palace???

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
My view yesterday was that Barnes was generally poor and Poyet agreed (he said post match that he was going to take him off before he scored.)

Having said that, I think Barnes is a good stiker. He strikes the ball well, is reasonable in the air and finds space in the box. His two goals yesterday were excellent strikes.
I think Barnes is an average to poor wide midfielder. He has no pace, no tricks and can be indecisive on the ball. He does work hard and tackles well.

What I dont understand is why he is played in his current position. Gus said yesterday post match that he does things other strikers don't and that other people don't always see what he does. I wish people would explain exactly what he is doing that I (and others) can't see in that wide position.

Incidently, yesterdays funniest moment involved Barnes. Razak was on the ball - fell over and beat his man whilst still on the floor. Razak got up - beat a couple more and moved the ball wide to Barnes. Barnes turned like the Titanic into a defender - tried to turn back into another oppo - half fell and gave a free kick away. That sort of sums up the difference between an excellent midfield player and a player out of position (not Barnes fault by the way). Barnes needs to bulk up, speed up and play upfront imho.

ssbhafc22

Sep 22, 2011
Some of the comments here are laughable. People who spout blind faith in GP and any decision he makes are the height of ignorance. If they spoke to the man himself I very much suspect they would be surprised to hear that he admits mistakes have been made. On the whole he gets it right and is learning but he isn't perfect, yet. To accuse fans who have a different view of not being true fans is the stuff of the playground. There are plenty of 'true fans' who have been supporting the club through thick and thin for many years before GP was even a player in this country let alone manager of the Albion and they will be supporting the club long after he has gone.

As for Barnes, I believe Poyet has already said he was about to bring him off before he got his first. There is no doubt his performances have been more on the defensive responsibilities of late rather than the forward position he occupied last season. But yesterday, he gave away possession on numerous occassions by misplacing simple passes. He also lacks strength and is easily knocked off the ball by the opposition. He wasted a very good opening in the first half only to dither and not get a shot in. With the arrival if Razak and Assulin, I'm not sure I would have him in the starting 11 but then it's not down to me.

I dont doubt people have supported the club for a long time but that doesnt mean they know more, you mention everything he did wrong in the game but he ended up with 2 goals, so when he does get it perfect just imagine what devastating affect it could have, everyone has there opinion but i dont think slating our own player is productive

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Any mis-placed pass by Barnes is treated with derision yet any other player does it and everything is OK.

I am really tired of the Barnes baiting and slagging off it is beyond a joke now as he is very good and deserves his place.
Could'nt agree more BH I know a guy that always slates Barnes but he said yesterday that Barnes defending and goal scoring made him MOTM and he is coming round to the idea that Barnes is improving and is now a vital player for us...support Barnes,he gives 100% and for that alone deserves praise...not abuse!!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Barnes clearly plays the way that Gus wants him to week in week out and hence the reason that Gus selects him week in week out.

Maybe Gus is getting it wrong week in week out but Barnes can only play the way that he is asked and he plays it very well.

Just one observation do wish he would stop moaning at the ref and just play the game.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Perhaps there are a lot of people who get a kick out of telling a committed, hard-working 21 year old that he is shit at football. Makes them feel better about their own sad little lives.

Ashley is nothing special, but he is trying to develop as a footballer, and Gus likes him.

They'll always be a scapegoat. This year its Barnesy.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Gus was considering taking off Barnes after he lost or gave away the ball three or four times in quick succession and the boo boys were getting on his back and his head dropped. But Gus called him over and put an arm round him and after a few encouraging words he lifted himself and scored TWO (not one) good goals. He covers every inch of the pitch. Frankly, if he did nothing in a game I'd take two goals from him. Yet some people on here say he's rubbish because he missed one chance. I despair at the ignorance of some of the fans on this site.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Perhaps there are a lot of people who get a kick out of telling a committed, hard-working 21 year old that he is shit at football. Makes them feel better about their own sad little lives.

Ashley is nothing special, but he is trying to develop as a footballer, and Gus likes him.

They'll always be a scapegoat. This year its Barnesy.

Poor Ashley must wish Harley was still getting picked.

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Good debate I started here ! Exactly as I said, he does divide opinion. I'm a true fan and have been attending matches since Jimmy Langley was captain and Peter Harburn was the best centre forward I had seen. It was a long time ago !! I've been there watching in every division and as I said, like everyone else, I have an opinion. I'm not knocking Barnes, as some comments suggest, in fact I said he is young and has improved a great deal, I was just asking peoples views on whether or not you consider he should be selected ahead of Noone, Assulin, Sparrow, Razak, CMS, Vokes, Buckley etc. There comes a time when class has to take priority and given our recent acquisitions and increased strength in depth, it is class that has to govern team selection. The higher the level you play at, the more you must cherish possessions because class teams capitalise on errors. The Liverpool game highlighted that fact. We weren't 5 goals inferior as a team, but our errors led to goals. Ash has his critics and his supporters and I accept he is being asked to play a role that is different to what he played last season. He has adapted very well and I, along with everyone else was cheering his goals yesterday, but I still think we now have other players at the club who might be more able to fill that role more creatively. Two swallows dont make a summer and two goals dont make a player.

Coleby1007

Feb 28, 2011
Lancing
Has been constantly improving for the past 18 months. Played ok on saturday I thought, other than the goals (which were 2 quality goals) I think he has played better this season. I think Gus loves him, he's always talking to him one to one during games and he must be doing what Gus is asking of him.

Decent player, and seems to be improving all the time.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here