FFs Barnes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Fwiw Murray was our leading goalscorer last season :)

I don't think it's a coincidence that both Barnes and Cms were on the scoresheet yesterday with Razak's performance in midfield.

One thing about Barnes is that if he put the effort he uses moaning into his game he would be far more consistent IMO

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
I lost it with the guy next to me with his constant moaning about Barnes. He was staring at his phone for the first 20 minutes of the second half, only to look up to see Barnes trying to head the ball back to Macka for a tap in, he precedes to shout "f*** off Barnes you wanker" and goes straight back to his phone. The final straw was his booing when Barnes got the ball, I just lost it ad gave him a piece of my mind.

Great thing is he scored his second 30 seconds later!

Bhafc11

Nov 24, 2011
Gus is right.

Clueless fans who actually think they know more than a man who in 2 and half years has completely transformed our club are wrong.

Debate over. Quite simple really.

Exactly this, and the way he took his goals yesterday showed some class, he is improving and that was signs of things to come. Young and top scorer for us, 20 goals last season...Why the complaints? Everyone player has had a rough spell for us ... CMS went ages without a goal, the keepers... the defence got a bit wobbly during our stretch without a win.

Barnes is a good player now and will only improve.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Gus has been incredibly loyal to Ash but now we have reached the cutting edge of the season, surely he has to accept that a little more skill, guile and overall ability is required if we are to make a push for a play-off place.
I know you will always find differences of opinion, but does anyone else share my concerns about him being a first choice starting 11 player given the strength we now have in the squad.

I'm sure Sr. Poyet will be delighted to meet you and listen to your advice.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I lost it with the guy next to me with his constant moaning about Barnes. He was staring at his phone for the first 20 minutes of the second half, only to look up to see Barnes trying to head the ball back to Macka for a tap in, he precedes to shout "f*** off Barnes you wanker" and goes straight back to his phone. The final straw was his booing when Barnes got the ball, I just lost it ad gave him a piece of my mind.

Great thing is he scored his second 30 seconds later!
Fair play to you. Unfortunately there are far too many fans within our ranks that can only see Barnes as a striker. They moan and jeer when he loses the ball but fall silent when he heads a corner clear or breaks up an attack! He is frustrating at times, but he's a nuisance to play against and ultimately he does score goals!!

Edit. It's beyond me how somebody can start a thread moaning about a player who scored 2 goals in a 3-0 win :shrug:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Any mis-placed pass by Barnes is treated with derision yet any other player does it and everything is OK.

I am really tired of the Barnes baiting and slagging off it is beyond a joke now as he is very good and deserves his place.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
More skill, guile and ability? Why single Barnes out?

Personally I think there are a number of fans who love to think they've spotted a donkey. Once they have that notion of a player, it's hard for them to see past that accept that time and earth doesn't stand still.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Fair play to you. Unfortunately there are far too many fans within our ranks that can only see Barnes as a striker. They moan and jeer when he loses the ball but fall silent when he heads a corner clear or breaks up an attack! He is frustrating at times, but he's a nuisance to play against and ultimately he does score goals!!

Edit. It's beyond me how somebody can start a thread moaning about a player who scored 2 goals in a 3-0 win :shrug:

Agree. I think Barnes has been key for us this season, but in a different way. I've loved some of his interventions more recently, but that 25 harder yesterday made me smile because he was buzzing with confidence and hunger.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
He’s young, he works hard and he has improved and he contributes to the team effort but when it comes to the crunch can you really see him as a Premiership player ?

You make a long post and it appears to be rational but your argument is flawed.

I don't think many people who support him would claim he would set the Premier league alight however, he is doing a great job this year in the Championship, he's our leading scorer and he has Gus's complete support in performing a role out of his normal strike position.

Judge him on the fact that he does make mistakes (just like CMS does) but his goals and support play have made a significant contribution to us being currently just outside the playoffs.

Next year, if we've been promoted, at least half the team will probably need to be replaced.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
We have a "other stuff" section, a "NSC Gold" section. I think its now time for a "Barnes" section. The most talked about player of recent times usually for the wrong reasons (according to some on here). He may not be the most gifted player in the world but we are better with him than without him.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
Any mis-placed pass by Barnes is treated with derision yet any other player does it and everything is OK.I am really tired of the Barnes baiting and slagging off it is beyond a joke now as he is very good and deserves his place.

Perhaps other players do it far less frequently than Mr Barnes. There was a passage of play yesterday in the second half before he scored where he cocked up 5 TIMES in less than 5 minutes, whether it be a mis-placed pass, lack of control or one instance when he fell over his own feet. 2 goals (first one well taken) have blinded some people on here to his performance yesterday. 3 headers away from corners do not warrant a place in the team, he had a shocker yesterday despite the goals

And anyone who says 'Gus is in charge, blah blah, blah' is missing the point. People are allowed to have differing opinions to the manager and it was no surprise from where I was stading in the North that so many people were on his back because the team were carrying him yesterday and he was poor.

Mr Smggles

May 11, 2009
Winchester
Perhaps other players do it far less frequently than Mr Barnes. There was a passage of play yesterday in the second half before he scored where he cocked up 5 TIMES in less than 5 minutes, whether it be a mis-placed pass, lack of control or one instance when he fell over his own feet. 2 goals (first one well taken) have blinded some people on here to his performance yesterday. 3 headers away from corners do not warrant a place in the team, he had a shocker yesterday despite the goals

And anyone who says 'Gus is in charge, blah blah, blah' is missing the point. People are allowed to have differing opinions to the manager and it was no surprise from where I was stading in the North that so many people were on his back because the team were carrying him yesterday and he was poor.

I completely agree people can have their own opinions, but once your go past those turnstiles, you should be 100% behind your team.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Nice bleaching of Murray from your memory, but it was he who was leading goal scorer and our main striker last season. :bigwave:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Ive always been a Barnes fan, he will be Premier league one day, with or without us.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Gus is right.

Clueless fans who actually think they know more than a man who in 2 and half years has completely transformed our club are wrong.

Debate over. Quite simple really.

This

I have said this many times now, Ash is getting the goals and he works hard all over the pitch, what he might lack in obvious skill and pace which players like noone and lualua posess he more than makes up in determination, passion and hard work. People rave on about players such as noone but what has he done this season thats so amazing? Ash has got the goals, worked hard and defended!! Anyone who questions why Ash is in the team is questioning Gus and cannot truly support the team. He's one of our players FFS so we should be supporting him not getting on his back!!

Does anyone remember the score yesterday? 3-0!!

Does anyone remember the goal scorers? CMS and ASHLEY BARNES GOT 2!!!

Debate over, can we now move on to something a bit more constructive now please?

Some of the comments here are laughable. People who spout blind faith in GP and any decision he makes are the height of ignorance. If they spoke to the man himself I very much suspect they would be surprised to hear that he admits mistakes have been made. On the whole he gets it right and is learning but he isn't perfect, yet. To accuse fans who have a different view of not being true fans is the stuff of the playground. There are plenty of 'true fans' who have been supporting the club through thick and thin for many years before GP was even a player in this country let alone manager of the Albion and they will be supporting the club long after he has gone.

As for Barnes, I believe Poyet has already said he was about to bring him off before he got his first. There is no doubt his performances have been more on the defensive responsibilities of late rather than the forward position he occupied last season. But yesterday, he gave away possession on numerous occassions by misplacing simple passes. He also lacks strength and is easily knocked off the ball by the opposition. He wasted a very good opening in the first half only to dither and not get a shot in. With the arrival if Razak and Assulin, I'm not sure I would have him in the starting 11 but then it's not down to me.

Bexhillian

Jan 18, 2011
I don't know how you can knock him to be honest, he's played out of position nearly all season yet he will almost certainly end up with 15-20 goals again! I would go as far as saying he is the most natural finisher at the club.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's 22. He's started 71 games for Brighton, and scored 35 goals, despite playing a great deal of those games either wide left, or in a very deep role. If we were signing a player with those stats, we'd be excited by them. And we'd be paying £2m for him...

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I don't know how you can knock him to be honest, he's played out of position nearly all season yet he will almost certainly end up with 15-20 goals again! I would go as far as saying he is the most natural finisher at the club.

I would say our most 'natural finisher' is currently on loan at Sheffield United.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports