FFs Barnes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagulls4life

Jul 30, 2010
Brighton
I thought he was very good yesterday. He is adapting to the role he has been given by the manager very well. He actually did something that none of our players seem to be doing lately, shot from outside the box and scored :clap: It seems that when Barnes makes one mistake everything he does for the rest of the game is wrong. When he tried to put CMS through from that pass with the outside of his foot someone said "Get him off, i've had enough of him" Now, that's a very tricky thing to do but at least he tried to actually do something with the ball and he was unlucky. I enjoyed asking him if he needs to be subbed after his first. He missed the second after leaving early, wanting to get the bus home.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A lot of tactical sense here - supporters have double standards for players.

Barnes doesn't have the same on the ball skills as say Lua Lua or Vicente and he can be guilty of dithering with the ball - at one point yesterday, when in the middle of the park, this happened and he lost it, but then there were two men on him.

However he DOES have the ability to get back in to good defensive positions and yesterday he did that made two good defensive headers away.

As others have said, he does a job that other players don't or can't do and that is why Gus picks him.

He had two men on him when he scored his second goal. Players who can score goals like this just don't grow on trees and it's about time some of our fans started to appreciate him or at least cut him some slack.
0,,10433~10531067,00.jpg

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The anger he had in that moment seemed to make him more aggressive and determined in his defensive duties, because it was that same corner he made two brilliant headed clearances. It's that same argument that comes with rooney and balotelli and the like, take away his petulance and would he be as effective?

I dont know. What i do know is another ref and he would have walked and not been on the pitch to defend those corners.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Little unfair to quote something I said before yesterday, when he hadn't scored from open play since September.

Sorry, didn't notice the date you posted it. :thumbsup:

ps Could you do something similar before next Saturday though? It certainly had a very positive effect on his nibs y/day. :wink:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I dont know. What i do know is another ref and he would have walked and not been on the pitch to defend those corners.

This season he has not been red carded for foul and abusive language, and has been yellow carded once for dissent. With 29 starts and 8 sub appearances to only be disciplined for dissent once, and only a yellow, so, it doesn't appear to be a given that this ref was unique in his tolerance of barnes moaning. I think perhaps his moaning at refs isn't as big an issue as some think it is (though, I don't like players arguing with refs and think it should be a bigger issue)

pilgrimmike1

Feb 22, 2011
I thought Barnes did OK last night, only thing that winds me up is that he constantly goes down looking for free kicks, more often than not doenst get them, then goes chasing after the ref instead of the ball even though its right next to him

He did one of the best dives ever last night, some how got a free kick, it was like an oak tree being felled.

This is exactly what went wrong with him at Plymouth, instead of staying on his feet and taking the chance he would go down all to easy and then throw his toys out when nothing was given. It was an embarrassingly obvious part of his game that let both himself and team down. Having said all that, there is a bloody good striker in there and you can send him back if your that fed up with him:thumbsup:. Great result for you yesterday and everthing honestly crossed with those play off's. I would love to see us play a pre season friendly, don't matter where, just be great. Good luck all Brighton fans, our brothers in arms.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Sorry, didn't notice the date you posted it. :thumbsup:

ps Could you do something similar before next Saturday though? It certainly had a very positive effect on his nibs y/day. :wink:

Sure, anything to see him on the scoresheet! Maybe he read my post?

And [MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION], fair, forgot about that one.

Dancin Ninja BHA

Jul 6, 2003
He's young, and doing the job asked of him, and that's good enough for me. and clearly good enough for Gus!

Age has got nothing to do with it, as proved by Mr Razak. Younger and was a million times better

He is the most infuriating player we've had for a long time and divides opinion like no other. Personally I can't stand him and see him as a permanent weak link. I know I have been hyper critical with him lately at games and am ready to jump down his throat after every mistake, but he makes SO many. Felt like such a fraud celebrating his goals, but he is just an enigma to me.

Also, he is a moaning, sneak of a player and he's going to see red again like Burnley for another stupid challenge he makes every game

Dec 29, 2011
You evidently know fack-all about football if that's your opinion. Still, I doubt if that will stop you from slagging off Barnes; & at least you can be safe in the knowledge that you have a number of equally clueless people who share your views. :rolleyes:

Of course. Anyone who thinks he had a bad game knows zero about football and anyone who shares you opinion is a tactical genius. :thumbsup:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I wonder how many of these posters were writing similar bollocks about a young home grown central defender a few years back when he was learning his trade ?

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
The Barnes Debate

Is there any player in the team who divides opinion as much as Ashley Barnes. He seems to draw more comments than anyone else. Leading goal scorer last season, he has been asked to play a withdrawn role this season and has been pretty much a regular all season despite the fact his performances draw many criticisms.
He is no longer our main striker as CMS and Vokes take that role. He is not the exciting wide player who can take on and beat opponents like Buckley, Noone and Lua Lua, and he does not have the vision, ball control, strength or passing ability of Sparrow, Vicente, Dicker, JCF and now Razek and Assulin.
So what is it about him that sees him in the starting line up so often.
He’s young, he works hard and he has improved and he contributes to the team effort but when it comes to the crunch can you really see him as a Premiership player ?
He lacks the pace to be a striker, he lacks the deceptive skills of a dribbler and his passing is probably the worst in the team. True he took his 2 chances well enough yesterday but he did pass up a good scoring opportunity in the first half and in truth his second goal was presented on a plate. From what I’ve seen I’m not even convinced Agdestein does not offer more potential, but he now seems even further down the pecking order.
Gus has been incredibly loyal to Ash but now we have reached the cutting edge of the season, surely he has to accept that a little more skill, guile and overall ability is required if we are to make a push for a play-off place.
I know you will always find differences of opinion, but does anyone else share my concerns about him being a first choice starting 11 player given the strength we now have in the squad.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Gus is right.

Clueless fans who actually think they know more than a man who in 2 and half years has completely transformed our club are wrong.

Debate over. Quite simple really.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
I must admit i'm usually one of the people that slate Barnes but I cant believe anybody can have a go at him for yesterdays performance. Two very good finishes and a decent all round performance.

I think the problem with him sometimes is that he does miss his fair share of chances, and despite the fact that he's our top scorer people will always remember the misses. I'm sure that with age though he will squander less chances.

ssbhafc22

Sep 22, 2011
Gus is right.

Clueless fans who actually think they know more than a man who in 2 and half years has completely transformed our club are wrong.

Debate over. Quite simple really.

This

I have said this many times now, Ash is getting the goals and he works hard all over the pitch, what he might lack in obvious skill and pace which players like noone and lualua posess he more than makes up in determination, passion and hard work. People rave on about players such as noone but what has he done this season thats so amazing? Ash has got the goals, worked hard and defended!! Anyone who questions why Ash is in the team is questioning Gus and cannot truly support the team. He's one of our players FFS so we should be supporting him not getting on his back!!

Does anyone remember the score yesterday? 3-0!!

Does anyone remember the goal scorers? CMS and ASHLEY BARNES GOT 2!!!

Debate over, can we now move on to something a bit more constructive now please?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Those two incidents plus his giving away of possession meant that yes i was calling for him to be subbed. More because i did not want us reduced to ten men.
Ah, so you were trying to help. Did you think that Gus would hear this voice from the crowd and change his tactics? You know that's not going to happen. All that can happen is that a) you piss Gus off, because he doesn't want to manage for a club with ignorant fans and b) you knock the confidence of the player, making his performance worse.

You need to be thinking: Is Gus the right manager for us. If yes, support him and his decisions, if no, carry on as you are.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
double post

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports