Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFs Barnes

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
Riiiiight, so scoring goals is not a positive contribution?
Or actually someone else disguised as Barnes scored those goals?

I meant before the goals. Sorry I wasn't clear.

I don't enjoy bashing Barnes but it's the constant selection and the constant aggresive defence of his selection that irritates a few supporters on here, including myself.

I'm very pleased he took his goals well today and I will always cheer him on, but IMO I believe he is a squad player and will prove this eventually.

D

Deleted User X18H

This was the cry from certain people in the 1901 as well. Well done Ash.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
FFS

Barnes was great today. Put in a good defensive shift, scored two goals, one of which was an absolute CRACKER.

Still people moan. Thank f*** they have no say whatsoever in picking the team. If you cannot understand what he brings to the team then quite frankly YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

Agree, not the most gifted player but dos his bit.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
He does a lot of Donkey work which not many people notice (especially people who seem to have some sort of grudge against Barnes and criticise everything he does). He covered Mattock a lot today and, although his first touch wasn't brilliant at times, scored a great first goal and took both his chances. I also thought Navarro had a bit of a stormer today, but I'm sure I'll get slated for not criticising him.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I agree, but with the attacking team I would pick we would have scored 180 goals so far this season...........but let in 175!!! but it would have been exciting!!
With all the attacking midfielders we have to choose from, I know what you mean. Lots of fans wouldn't play Navarros and Bridcutt together, certainly not at home. It would be Bridcutt, Vicente, Razak, Buckley, KLL/Noone and CMS. Ooo think of the goals. That's why we have FM2012 and Tony has a manager.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
It doesn't matter how well Barnes does, some people are always going to slag him off.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
I have to confess that in the past I have had the occasional bash at Ash so today I resolved to look closer than usual.

It is 'compleecated' to know what GP expects of him so probably difficult for anyone to comment with any conviction.

Summing up today, he covered a lot of ground, scored two goals and, of some merit, made two really telling clearances.

What I am unhappy about and there are two things. Firstly, he does tend to go down rather easily and if he is not chasing after the ref. concerning the decision he then seeks retribution and this is borne out by one or two yellows this season.

In summary, not knowing precisely his role, it is difficult but today he certainly did answer one of my concerns that, as a striker, he can be somewhat wasteful.

He is still young so I probably have great expectations for him.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Couldnt disagree more with people saying he was poor. First half there was a time when he was back in his own box heading 3 successive crosses away. Next minute he was upfront setting up a chance for CMS. He always offered an out ball for the midfielders and for me was a contender (like so many others) for man of the match

Absolutely this. His defending is absolutely sublime sometimes.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
I thought he was poor today other than the two goals. If he can play poorly and score two goals every week then great, but, he doesn't and we do seem to carry him more often than not.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Barnes had one of his best games for us today. He played the role of a left sided midfielder very well and won a number of clearing headers, that is apart from 2 very well taken goals.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
surprised he didn't get a yellow today for knocking ball out of ipswich player hands as he was about to take throw in...apart from that i spy a lot of bllx typed ..the guy does a job..and on top of that scored 2 vital goals...so i say well done...fek..does this have to be every week?

WE JUST WON 3 NIL!!!!!! UNBEATEN IN LEAGUE FOR 2012....CLOSE TO PLAY OFFS.....O AND THE SUN SHINED..REMIND ME TO TAKE A CAP FOR NEXT HOME GAME...STRUGGLED TO C THE GAME FOR FIRST 20 MINS

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Couldnt disagree more with people saying he was poor. First half there was a time when he was back in his own box heading 3 successive crosses away. Next minute he was upfront setting up a chance for CMS. He always offered an out ball for the midfielders and for me was a contender (like so many others) for man of the match

Well said.

To be fair, I've seen him play better, and as everyone did so well today he wouldn't get near a MOM contender for me today, but he certainly wasn't poor. All these Barnes threads are boring, although I feel compelled to keep adding that Gus picking him to start virtually every game speaks volumes about the player and the role he performs for the team.

As pleased as I was to see CMS score today, I was especially pleased to see Barnes bag a brace - although even if he worked wonders and shat miracles it wouldn't stop the anti Barnes contingent on here having a dig at him after every game.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The 2 goals shut the group of northern 'football experts' up behind us. Until then, Barnes, got their blame for everything.

Just before his first goal, there was a stoppage & Gus put an arm around AB & gaves instructions.
Great management by Gus, & also football intelligence by AB to carry it out against experienced defenders.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
In a crowd of around 20,000 there are bound to be quite a few who don't have a clue what is actually going on on the pitch :shrug:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Spoke to a number of fans who attended today, the general view was that although he took his two goals very well his general play was poor and it was expected he would be subbed. He is finding the Championship a bit above him and with the class of players coming in he is likely to on the bench.
In this league you only get a limited number of opportunities and you have to make the most of them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here