Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFs Barnes

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Good point seems like a while since his last goal. Shame really as him and cms deserve better as they work hard for the team week in week out.

His last goal was v Crystal Palace 23 days ago, but to make it seem worse the qualifier of 'from open play' was added, which pushes it back to v wrexham 13 days prior, but then to make it even worse a second qualifier was adding discounting cup goals. So, the last open play, league goal was v Bristol september 10 (bear in mind there was a 14 game league run in which he only started 5 games, didn't appear in three and came on late in the game as a sub in the rest).

His last league goal was 31st January v Palace, his last open play goal was 18th January v Wrexham.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
My point is that this is the same thread, the same argument over and over and over again.

The point about us being 40 places higher is completely irrelevant as I believe there will always be a player that fans will get on teh back of on a constant basis whether we are bottom of the 4th division, or top of the 1st. That's just the nature of fans, but it's not a good nature.

Let's have a debate, let's agree to differ, excellent, that's half the fun of watching sport, but do we have to have this same one after EVERY. SINGLE. GAME.

We might as well start the post-Ipswich "Barnes is rubbish" thread now. :yawn:

i'm with this

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I am in no way knocking Barnes I think he does do a good job but I think he is there to fill in for the short comings of any other position in the team which means his actual individual contribution is diminished, I am just not sure what his position is he seems to cover everyone else in the team. I would like to see him have a clearer role in the team is he a forward or a midfielder, I suspect if we ran out of goalkeepers Barnes would be the stand in. Again not knocking him just a bit confused how he actually fits into the team and want him to contribute more than covering up for others inadequacies.
I think this summarises it very well. I used to be a harsh Barnes critic up until his amazing January, and his quieter February has told a lot about the player he is. He is either a defensive minded player, or Gus is telling him to do so. Up front he offers very little apart from his penalties and other set pieces. He often is infuriatingly too slow deciding to pass, or just completely unsupportive. Yet, in defence he is brilliant and does indeed cover the shortcomings of other players. This, I feel, is why Gus has not been choosing CMS. CMS and Barnes don't entirely click as Barnes is never what CMS needs him to be. CMS and Vokes would be ideal, but then Gus loses an incredible asset when we're not attacking. Ash is an enigma if there ever was one. Him and Navs probably don't deserve their places in the starting lineup, but caution says otherwise.
Personally I'd rather see CMS and Vokes start, and bring Ash on to steer a result home; in that way he can defend as much as he likes, similar to the Posh game.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Barnes is effectively a cover for Gus lack of trust in our midfield. He is not confident that we will not get overrun so Barnes sits and helps them out, this also then contributes to our lone striker looking so helplessly isolated. He does what Gus tells him but in my opinion Barnes looks his best when he is in his preferred strike position.

Once we have a solid midfield pairing hopefully we can see the shackles taken off and maybe see two of Barnes/CMS/Vokes forming a strike partnership rather than a crutch to our midfield

Something for Gus to address in the summer but until then is effective enough to keep us in the division

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
Ashley Barnes - Get him off !!!!

Mendoza your mate is a legend :banana:, and a little bit red faced ?

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
If you're referring to the same meaning as 'Get him off the pitch' then oh dear :facepalm:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
That's what was being shouted prior to his goal.

Dec 29, 2011
He should have been subbed. Worst player for Brighton by far. Would have preferred to see Agdestein playing there if KLL needed a rest.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Tbh Barnes was abyssmal overall, yet took his goals really well so cant complain I guess

Dec 29, 2011
Two goals. Thread closed.

No not thread closed. Your acting like someone who just looks at BBC website and says 'oh barnes scored two goals, must be an ok player'. The fact is the first 65 minutes it was like we were playing with ten men and after his goal he only improved slightly. As for the guy saying "fishing", it's not fishing, it's an opinion that has lots of foundation.

Brimmermusic

Aug 9, 2011
Eastbourne
No not thread closed. Your acting like someone who just looks at BBC website and says 'oh barnes scored two goals, must be an ok player'. The fact is the first 65 minutes it was like we were playing with ten men and after his goal he only improved slightly. As for the guy saying "fishing", it's not fishing, it's an opinion that has lots of foundation.

Apart from the two goals, Barnes was poor.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here