FFs Barnes

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Kneon Light

Jul 24, 2003
Falkland Islands
Couldnt disagree more with people saying he was poor. First half there was a time when he was back in his own box heading 3 successive crosses away. Next minute he was upfront setting up a chance for CMS. He always offered an out ball for the midfielders and for me was a contender (like so many others) for man of the match

Reinelt12

Sick Note
Nov 8, 2006
Lichfield, United Kingdom
No not thread closed. Your acting like someone who just looks at BBC website and says 'oh barnes scored two goals, must be an ok player'. The fact is the first 65 minutes it was like we were playing with ten men and after his goal he only improved slightly. As for the guy saying "fishing", it's not fishing, it's an opinion that has lots of foundation.

This is what i said after Hull on Weds - and it is still true now...

Do you guys who like knocking Barnes every single week not think that actually he has a specific job to do, and there isn't another player in the squad who could actually do that job to the same standard? (Poyet even said exactly that in the post match interview tonight)

He is the Bridcutt equivalent further up the pitch, Gus picks him because he makes the whole make up of the side more solid, links up play between midfield and attack, defends from the front (and in his own penalty area quite a lot) and can also score goals... he is a major reason why we don't concede many goals.

I don't believe anyone sees him scoring 2 goals on the BBC site and thinks he had a good game, what I believe is that the people who appreciate everything he does, defensively and offensively see why he is so important to our side...

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Can't tell if that was taking the piss, but yes I agree.

We get it. You don't like Barnes. That's up to you. Having got that across, it'd be good if you can leave the thread alone now so the rest of us, who judge a player on his overall performance not some lazy preconception that he's automatically going to be shit at all times, can have a debate about his good performance today.

Thanks.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Couldnt disagree more with people saying he was poor. First half there was a time when he was back in his own box heading 3 successive crosses away. Next minute he was upfront setting up a chance for CMS. He always offered an out ball for the midfielders and for me was a contender (like so many others) for man of the match

Indeed that was the Barnes I saw as well however facts clearly cloud judgements at times

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
he was the weakest player out there for us today prior to scoring, he goes down so easy so many times when in good positions, and that frustrates me so much, but he works very hard, and took his goals very well, so fair play to him.. Would I have in my "starting 11". the simple answer is No as there is better in the squad. But hats off to him today. Gus has faith in him and i suppose thats all that matters

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We get it. You don't like Barnes. That's up to you. Having got that across, it'd be good if you can leave the thread alone now so the rest of us, who judge a player on his overall performance not some lazy preconception that he's automatically going to be shit at all times, can have a debate about his good performance today.

Thanks.
This.

His first touch was poor at times. HOWEVER, defensively outstanding and 2 great finishes, doing a great job for the team

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010

Thanks.

:clap:

Dec 29, 2011

Thanks.

I was judging on his performance. I just think he's got away with one today scoring two goals. If he didn't everyone would be on his back. Two goals don't change his overall performance IMO, especially in the first half where he was poor. Brighton fans just seem too bandwagony. If your opinion doesn't conform with what everyone thinks it's 'wrong'. I can say what I like, free forum. If people don't want to hear my drivel on though i'm going to stop because there's no point banging on, but FWIW Gus was about to take him off before he scored his first goal. If he was playing so well I wonder why he was about to get subbed.

crasher

Jul 8, 2003
Sussex

Do you guys who like knocking Barnes every single week not think that actually he has a specific job to do, and there isn't another player in the squad who could actually do that job to the same standard? (Poyet even said exactly that in the post match interview tonight)

He is the Bridcutt equivalent further up the pitch, Gus picks him because he makes the whole make up of the side more solid, links up play between midfield and attack, defends from the front (and in his own penalty area quite a lot) and can also score goals... he is a major reason why we don't concede many goals.

I don't believe anyone sees him scoring 2 goals on the BBC site and thinks he had a good game, what I believe is that the people who appreciate everything he does, defensively and offensively see why he is so important to our side...

Perfectly summarised.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
Never really been a Barnes Basher, He is not the most gifted player in the world but he does a job.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Tbh Barnes was abyssmal overall, yet took his goals really well so cant complain I guess
Apart from the two goals, Barnes was poor.
I disagree. He wasn't as good as Rasak, but that goes for everyone else too. Without the goals, Barnes had a fair game. With them, he had a fantastic game.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
No not thread closed. Your acting like someone who just looks at BBC website and says 'oh barnes scored two goals, must be an ok player'. The fact is the first 65 minutes it was like we were playing with ten men and after his goal he only improved slightly. As for the guy saying "fishing", it's not fishing, it's an opinion that has lots of foundation.

I agree.

I made a point of watching Barnes very closley today as apparantly I have been missing all the vital work he does.

The only positive contributions he made were inside our own box. He made back to back clearances with his head and one fine tackle in a very dangerous situation. However, outside our penalty area I thought he was the weakest player on the pitch by far before his two goals. Lots of moves broke down because of him due to his miss-control and poor passing.

He took his goals very well but for me there were many more important performances today.

El-Abd seemed to block every shot Ipswich had. There was one point at the end of the game where it looked like Ipswich had a one on one with Brez and El-Abd must have appeared out of a hatch in the six yard box to block the shot?

CMS running and skill caused them big problems.

The man of the match Razak. The best passing I have seen at the amex so far.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Would I have in my "starting 11". the simple answer is No as there is better in the squad.
No disrespect at all chuck, but would we be in the top half of the Championship if you picked our starting 11 - the simple answer is no.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden

Totally agree, I would like to see 2 wingers but gus has a way of playing and barnes fits perfectly into that.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
FFS

Barnes was great today. Put in a good defensive shift, scored two goals, one of which was an absolute CRACKER.

Still people moan. Thank f*** they have no say whatsoever in picking the team. If you cannot understand what he brings to the team then quite frankly YOU ARE AN IDIOT.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
No disrespect at all chuck, but would we be in the top half of the Championship if you picked our starting 11 - the simple answer is no.

I agree, but with the attacking team I would pick we would have scored 180 goals so far this season...........but let in 175!!! but it would have been exciting!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports