Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP latest predictions

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I also believe that the costs associated with the academy/stadium have been expensed heavily into 12/13 accounts where possible and so probably don't represent anticipated ongoing losses.

Academy spending is not FFP-able. It's seen as "good spending".

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
We've sold Bridcutt, Barnes, Ulloa, Buckley (and El Abd) since then and only bought COG and Baldock - net profit about £12m. Who have Boro sold? We've also got high earners like Kuszcak and Orlandi off the wages bill. They've also acquired some big names since then - outbidding us for Clayton.

One thing that I don't understand about those FFP figures. They state that ex-PL clubs aren't subject to FFP rules, yet a few weeks ago there were lots of stories in the press about how QPR may have to be relegated to the conference for breaching FFP. Do the rules apply to PL clubs or not?

Those savings won't seep through until the 2014/15 figures are out at the end of next year.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
The £14.9m was the loss for 2012-13. FFP comes into play for 2013-14 (the period which ended in June 2014). The Abion have made it very clear they were on track to be under the max £8m loss for this reporting year.

As above, we were already on track for FFP compliance for 2013-14 before any player sales. Regardless, Buckley and Ulloa were sold after the first FFP reporting year ended. They will be in the accounts for 2014-15.

This is based on the assumption that QPR are relegated from the PL back into the Football League at the end of this season.

Then the conversation goes:

Football League: "You owe us £60m for your FFP failings."
QPR: "No chance."
Football League: "You can't re-enter the Football League then, go and find somewhere else to play."

In all likelihood, the FL and QPR would come to some sort of compromise deal.

Or my feeling is the PL will step in and say if you do not admit one of our relegated clubs we will not accept one of your promoted clubs, causing all sorts of problems. The FL and PL will come to some sort of agreement with minimal punishment to QPR.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Thanks! In which case i'm interested to understand where the big savings have been made of 'bad spending'

The figures quoted are the total losses, not the figures that FFP would have been based on.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
The £14.9m was the loss for 2012-13. FFP comes into play for 2013-14 (the period which ended in June 2014). The Abion have made it very clear they were on track to be under the max £8m loss for this reporting year.

We were already on track for FFP compliance for 2013-14 before any player sales. Regardless, Buckley and Ulloa were sold after the first FFP reporting year ended. They will be in the accounts for 2014-15.

This is based on the assumption that QPR are relegated from the PL back into the Football League at the end of this season.

Those savings won't seep through until the 2014/15 figures are out at the end of next year.

Thanks guys - all is clear

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
We've sold Bridcutt, Barnes, Ulloa, Buckley (and El Abd) since then and only bought COG and Baldock - net profit about £12m. Who have Boro sold? We've also got high earners like Kuszcak and Orlandi off the wages bill. They've also acquired some big names since then - outbidding us for Clayton.

One thing that I don't understand about those FFP figures. They state that ex-PL clubs aren't subject to FFP rules, yet a few weeks ago there were lots of stories in the press about how QPR may have to be relegated to the conference for breaching FFP. Do the rules apply to PL clubs or not?

QPR are likely to be fined for their accounts for season 2013/14 when they were in the championship but were promoted. If they get relegated at the end of this season, they will have a one year grace period so will not have to comply with FFP limits in season 2015/16. If they were promoted again, they would have escaped sanctions however, if they failed to gain promotion and, in season 2016/17 did not meet the FFP criteria then they would get a transfer embargo (or fine if they were promoted at the end of that season.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Or my feeling is the PL will step in and say if you do not admit one of our relegated clubs we will not accept one of your promoted clubs, causing all sorts of problems. The FL and PL will come to some sort of agreement with minimal punishment to QPR.

and then the PL could get sued by "promoted" clubs either adhering to, or accepting the FFP punishments.

It's all ifs and buts.

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
The figures quoted are the total losses, not the figures that FFP would have been based on.

ok, think i'm getting there.....sorry bit slow on this complicated topic! The £14.9m loss figure will therefore have included significant academy costs, even though these won't be part of the FFP calculation, and hence it should be possible to get within the £8m as we are being told. However there was no need for being 'creative' in the front loading of academy costs since they don't count in the FFP calculations anyway. :mad:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

You seem to be referring to paying a fee for players. If so, you've forgotten Stephens (c£0.7m) and Stockdale (c£1m). Both good deals in my book.

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

The excesses of the Sky/PL, the collapse of ITV Digital and the parachute payments have contributed to this mess. The Premier League would have to be super confident in adopting this stance because as has been seen with the B-League - football generally doesn't like the pyramid structure to be ****ed about with. It might hasten talks on a PL2 - but QPR wont get away with it, not when the sanctions for missing FFP targets are being applied by UEFA as well.

It's not going to be easy for a Championship club to take the Football League to Court over FFP rules, as the rules were decided on on a one club one vote basis. If a club doesn't like the rules it had its chance to object, and presumably did, but as long as they were voted on democratically with the necessary majority then they have nothing to go to Court about.

Maybe the calculations or the applications of the rules, but not the rules themselves. So as long as the FL have applied the rules properly I don't see any club having a legal case.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Over paid players, wonder what we will save when we get Kemy, Toko off the books complete waste of money

It seems the fashion to label players who are unused/unfavoured to be overpaid, but do we know what they're on? Genuine question (though i do accept that they're footballers and by definiton they're overpaid anyway, but you get my drift).

Rich Suvner

Skint years RIP
Jul 17, 2003
Worthing
so just to put into context..... it's like I've

just gone crazy on my credit cards, and purchased a mountain of chocolate and lake of wine. should do me well for quite some time.
and my penalty is that the banking regulator are now preventing me from buying any more chocolate or wine for a while?!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
It seems the fashion to label players who are unused/unfavoured to be overpaid, but do we know what they're on? Genuine question (though i do accept that they're footballers and by definiton they're overpaid anyway, but you get my drift).

I mean it is a waste due to the fact are we even sticking them on the bench never mind the the pitch and you can't say they are development squad players. Just a bad purchases which are completely unnecessary and that is someones fault wasting money.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
so just to put into context..... it's like I've

just gone crazy on my credit cards, and purchased a mountain of chocolate and lake of wine. should do me well for quite some time.
and my penalty is that the banking regulator are now preventing me from buying any more chocolate or wine for a while?!

Are you a woman :facepalm:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

As above, we were already on track for FFP compliance for 2013-14 before any player sales. Regardless, Buckley and Ulloa were sold after the first FFP reporting year ended. They will be in the accounts for 2014-15.

Then the conversation goes:

Football League: "You owe us £60m for your FFP failings."
QPR: "No chance."
Football League: "You can't re-enter the Football League then, go and find somewhere else to play."

In all likelihood, the FL and QPR would come to some sort of compromise deal.

So are you saying that if you break the FFP rules, get promoted, but stay up, you never pay the fine due?

Also, originally the fines were to be split amongst the complying teams - is that still the case, or will they be going to charity as someone mooted on here?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here