Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FFP embargoes for Forest and Fulham

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
FFP fines will never be collected as the owners of the clubs that are to be fined are happy to throw a few more millions at their lawyers and therefore the effectively toothless authorities will never go toe to toe with them. See QPR for proof that it's easy to get around any regulations if you are willing to throw enough money at it.
I think we should sue the League for not enforcing the rules, and thus preventing us from having a reasonable chance of promotion, as other teams are continually allowed to cheat.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I will be astounded if both haven't already broken FFP rules, but doubt they will be too worried as long as they go up.

Without wanting to sound like one of the Bournemouth fans (and we are somewhat different) Mel Morris, our CEO and our FD were clear at a recent forum that we would comfortably be compliant.....

the wanderbus

Dec 7, 2004
pogle's wood
Be interested to see Boros results,they've waved a nice few quid at players with pathetic crowds.

Bang on. As I posted on a thread at the time, I spoke to some Boro fans before last seasons home game and when I asked where all the money was coming from they just shrugged their shoulders .

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Rather than giving the FFP fine to charity, why doesn't the league simply put it in an account to fund lawyers to defend against future FFP challenges ?

60 million from QPR would fund a lot of lawyers if, say, Bournemouth then want to take action, and so on.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Rather than giving the FFP fine to charity, why doesn't the league simply put it in an account to fund lawyers to defend against future FFP challenges ?

60 million from QPR would fund a lot of lawyers if, say, Bournemouth then want to take action, and so on.

Because the likes of QPR would take the FL to court over the fighting fund. I'm not sure why you think that giving lawyers even more money is somehow better than giving it to the poor, sick homeless and so on though?

The original FFP fines were supposed to be distributed between the remaining clubs in the Championship. The FL then took legal advice which suggested that such an approach would make it difficult to enforce the rules should there be an appeal, so the rules were changed so donate the money to charity instead.

The current position is that the two main QPR owners, who are worth an estimated£1,600,000,000 between them, are paying lawyers tens of thousands of pounds to ensure that charities do not receive the money that would appear to be due if the FFP principles of restricting owner contributions were applied.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Because the likes of QPR would take the FL to court over the fighting fund. I'm not sure why you think that giving lawyers even more money is somehow better than giving it to the poor, sick homeless and so on though?

The original FFP fines were supposed to be distributed between the remaining clubs in the Championship. The FL then took legal advice which suggested that such an approach would make it difficult to enforce the rules should there be an appeal, so the rules were changed so donate the money to charity instead.

The current position is that the two main QPR owners, who are worth an estimated£1,600,000,000 between them, are paying lawyers tens of thousands of pounds to ensure that charities do not receive the money that would appear to be due if the FFP principles of restricting owner contributions were applied.
OK, I thought the issue was that the FL couldn't afford the lawyers to challenge the QPR ones, so were letting QPR get away with it.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
FFP is almost a waste of time. It is not likely to prevent another Portsmouth scenario. More likely I would have thought ???

Bolton are naughty not having produced their accounts as my betting, i.e. allegedly, they have transferred leisure (but non-footballing) assets to a parent company.

I only think it is unethical as the players are not getting paid. Otherwise I see no problem in having extra curriculum income included as basically football is a leisure industry (arguable).

Bolton fans may think that the transfer of assets is unethical, but I think the owner just wants to give away (sell at huge loss) the football part of Bolton Wanderers. Fair dues as he has subsidised the club to a hefty tune.

As the Bolton model is not unlike the Albion, investing in money making leisure (non-football) activities is a fair risk to take. Making use of the brand name. The big risk is if non-football investments do not show a profit and then it is a millstone.

Last edited:

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think that FFP was a badly constructed idea. If the penalties were deducted points it would have achieved its aims.

I don't care if QPR get away with it. Bloody stupidly implemented scheme.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
OK, I thought the issue was that the FL couldn't afford the lawyers to challenge the QPR ones, so were letting QPR get away with it.

I don't think so.

I suspect that QPR have lawyers who are using delay and distraction as a means of avoiding a settlement being made.

This is because should they be promoted they don't have to pay the fine whilst in the PL.

My understanding is that QPR are arguing on two fronts

1: FFP is anti-competitive and therefore unenforceable in law (although the Football League is a private members club and therefore entitled to apply its own rules).

2: The £60 million debt written off by the owners does not constitute an owner's contribution and therefore can be treated as general revenue.

It is messy, whoever wrote the rules may have left a loophole that QPR's advisors are trying to exploit. It does appear inconsistent with the approach taken to FFP by other Championship clubs though.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I think that FFP was a badly constructed idea. If the penalties were deducted points it would have achieved its aims.

No it wouldn't, as you would need to produce accounts and agree the FFP profit within a couple of weeks of the end of the season.

That's not realistic.

ManxSeagull

NSC Creator
Jul 5, 2003
Isle of Man
I don't think so.

I suspect that QPR have lawyers who are using delay and distraction as a means of avoiding a settlement being made.

This is because should they be promoted they don't have to pay the fine whilst in the PL.

My understanding is that QPR are arguing on two fronts

1: FFP is anti-competitive and therefore unenforceable in law (although the Football League is a private members club and therefore entitled to apply its own rules).

2: The £60 million debt written off by the owners does not constitute an owner's contribution and therefore can be treated as general revenue.

It is messy, whoever wrote the rules may have left a loophole that QPR's advisors are trying to exploit. It does appear inconsistent with the approach taken to FFP by other Championship clubs though.

All the clubs signed up and agreed to FFP and likewise 3 teams promoted, three points for a win, one for a draw etc.

How can they retrospectively challenge the rules they have previously agreed to?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
All the clubs signed up and agreed to FFP and likewise 3 teams promoted, three points for a win, one for a draw etc.

How can they retrospectively challenge the rules they have previously agreed to?

I agree with you, but Tony Fernandes seems to think QPR are above those rules.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Without wanting to sound like one of the Bournemouth fans (and we are somewhat different) Mel Morris, our CEO and our FD were clear at a recent forum that we would comfortably be compliant.....
And no doubt the QPR chairman said they were compliant too.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

This was the argument that the High Court put when we challenged the FL over Steve Foster that the FL was a club and autonomous as regards the enforcement of their rules, that had been agreed by all member clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here