Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Ferdi Kagioglu

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It is our policy to buy young players and bring them on. If we are going to do that, we may as well aim high and go for the best. We are an attractive proposition as they are more likely to break through at a #teamlikeBrighton than they are at the bigger clubs. Long may it continue.

Plus the purpose of the academy structure is to sell at least as many players at a profit as make it to the 1st team. We need a surplus at the younger ages to make that work.

However, this guy might be squad ready, if we have indeed signed him.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Does anyone think we are buying more young players than we can actually play in the first team? It seems so to me.

It seems that we are identifying many hot prospects worldwide, getting them to sign for us while still young (and therefore cheap), and keeping them on ice for the future, either as first team prospects, or, dare I say, as investments which will rise in value, to sell on.

I'm not complaining by the way. Just observing.

I think thats the crux, not sure if the business model is just buying players who will get in the first team.

I think Blooms data algorithm stuff will also look for players we can make a potential profit from, or potenial undervalued assets. If we buy for 1 million and they dont make the first team but we sell for 2 million, happy days, theresa good model.

Will Zeqiri be good enough to establish himeself in our first team? who knows, but we'll almost certainly make a profit on the 3 million we paid.

I think thats what Blooms envisages, that we will operate as business that buys and sells all range of players and makes a net profit overall to fund the club.

This fella looks exactly in that mold if out of contract, will he be good enough? who knows, will we turn a profit, likely.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I think thats the crux, not sure if the business model is just buying players who will get in the first team.

I think Blooms data algorithm stuff will also look for players we can make a potential profit from, or potenial undervalued assets. If we buy for 1 million and they dont make the first team but we sell for 2 million, happy days, theresa good model.

Will Zeqiri be good enough to establish himeself in our first team? who knows, but we'll almost certainly make a profit on the 3 million we paid.

I think thats what Blooms envisages, that we will operate as business that buys and sells all range of players and makes a net profit overall to fund the club.

This fella looks exactly in that mold if out of contract, will he be good enough? who knows, will we turn a profit, likely.

You have to factor wages into the equation so you either need a quick turnover or big profits, if that is the business model

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
Waited 25 years for us to sign a Turk, so I can big it up with the in-laws, then we sign 2 in a month! Got excited about the keeper that came to nowt and a defender Micky Adams was interested in that either was at or ended up at Kingstonians. You don't pronounce the second g (it should have a hat), it lengthens the preceding vowel. Kad-er-oh-loo!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Waited 25 years for us to sign a Turk, so I can big it up with the in-laws, then we sign 2 in a month! Got excited about the keeper that came to nowt and a defender Micky Adams was interested in that either was at or ended up at Kingstonians. You don't pronounce the second g (it should have a hat), it lengthens the preceding vowel. Kad-er-oh-loo!

One ‘Turk’ born in Achim, Germany and the other ‘Turk’ born in Arnhem, Holland who has also played for his national team against England U21s when his fellow Albion star Scherpen was in goal.

What a globalised world we live in!

Comrade Sam

Comrade Sam
Jan 31, 2013
Walthamstow
One ‘Turk’ born in Achim, Germany and the other ‘Turk’ born in Arnhem, Holland who has also played for his national team against England U21s when his fellow Albion star Scherpen was in goal.

What a globalised world we live in!

And I'm married to a Turk born in Hackney! Her family are a mixture of Bulgarian and Cypriot Turks. Saying that my grandparents and great grandparents are Jamaican, Panamanian Sephardic Jews, Polish Jews, Dutch Jews, Irish and apparently English as well. Choosing which nation to play football for was only hampered by the fact I'm a poor footballer.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
We need a striker and just sold a centre back so trust us to sign a player who plays everything outfield except those two. Sounds good though and agree with earlier poster that he’s more likely to be pushed towards rwb than the other attacking positions he seems to have played in mostly until now. Seems a match though.

Our RWB prospect from Czech Rep. didn’t work out but sold to Italian league for a profit. Polish utility wingback who wanted to play on the right didn’t seem to work out but loaned out for a profit(?) after helping Moder settle and all but agreed to move to Greece permanently? Lamptey obviously the success despite injuries. Expect this guy will mean Veltman can focus on CB more often as he gets older and everything seems positive. Will keep fingers crossed but whatever this lad does be it first team or not, hopefully some part of the puzzle and some level of success. Will no doubt be a signing fee and more wages than many youth players (who knows if first team level or not), but hopefully he can make the bench and some squads and if nothing else push Lamptey to be even better.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
We need a striker and just sold a centre back so trust us to sign a player who plays everything outfield except those two. Sounds good though and agree with earlier poster that he’s more likely to be pushed towards rwb than the other attacking positions he seems to have played in mostly until now. Seems a match though.

Our RWB prospect from Czech Rep. didn’t work out but sold to Italian league for a profit. Polish utility wingback who wanted to play on the right didn’t seem to work out but loaned out for a profit(?) after helping Moder settle and all but agreed to move to Greece permanently? Lamptey obviously the success despite injuries. Expect this guy will mean Veltman can focus on CB more often as he gets older and everything seems positive. Will keep fingers crossed but whatever this lad does be it first team or not, hopefully some part of the puzzle and some level of success. Will no doubt be a signing fee and more wages than many youth players (who knows if first team level or not), but hopefully he can make the bench and some squads and if nothing else push Lamptey to be even better.

There have been a few posts saying utility player then either Dan Burn replacement or RWB cover. When I watched the highlights it wasn't a particular position that sprung to mind more a role in the team. This is a two footed player who is rapid and can play in multiple positions. If you want a label I don't think it is RWB I think it is transition ball carrier. Specifically for that bit where we faff about in defence until we draw in the extra man, break the press and launch an attack. The nearest thing we have to that right now is Trossard who has even played RWB for Belgium. Having these sorts of players who can start from different positions to exploit weaknesses in the opposition line up, or be used to introduce tactical changes mid game, just increases our attacking options.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There have been a few posts saying utility player then either Dan Burn replacement or RWB cover. When I watched the highlights it wasn't a particular position that sprung to mind more a role in the team. This is a two footed player who is rapid and can play in multiple positions. If you want a label I don't think it is RWB I think it is transition ball carrier. Specifically for that bit where we faff about in defence until we draw in the extra man, break the press and launch an attack. The nearest thing we have to that right now is Trossard who has even played RWB for Belgium. Having these sorts of players who can start from different positions to exploit weaknesses in the opposition line up, or be used to introduce tactical changes mid game, just increases our attacking options.

Good post. Tross really does carry the ball some distance at pace when the opportunity arises.

stewart_weir

Mar 19, 2017
Nobody will confirm anything as Im sure a pre contract agreement would require no confirmation until end of season - if its true

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
Linked with him again as per the Turkish press this morning

They want €20M this time though, apparently

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Ferdi-time - not yet, apparently :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports