daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Have recollection of Gotsmanov celebrating a goal before he actually scored it

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Like when Gus wanted to buy VVD and wouldnt pay the extra £500k but Celtic did and the rest is history.

That is quite simply not even close to what happened. We wanted him in january, VVD did not want to move mid-season. He waited for the summer to make the next move, which was never going to be to a Championship club. If we'd been promoted, perhaps we'd have snapped him up, but it wasn't to be.

Even that is not right. As I understand it, it was purely a point of principle, on Bloom's part:

1. Gus scouted VVD extensively, and told the club to get him.

2. The club negotiated a deal to buy him (The figures are not important, but it was about €2.5m), and VVD was keen to sign.

3. Groeningen agreed the price, but decided that because they were fighting against relegation, that they would not allow the deal to proceed until the end of the season. The clubs shook hands on that arrangement.

4. By the end of the season, VVD had attracted a little more attention, including from Celtic, so feeling they now had a slightly stronger hand to play, Groeningen told the Albion the player was still their's but the price had gone up to €3m.

5. Tony Bloom told them they'd agreed a deal, and if they were not going to honour it, he was not doing business with them.

So, nothing at all to do with not having the money, norwith not feeling the deal represented good value - just a matter of principle. A shame we missed out on a great player, but personally I'm with Bloom - good on him.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Thank you for that Mr Partridge. :lolol:

???

hi_de_hi_partridge.jpg

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
NO to Chalov

Thanks I read it as we offered £2m, they wanted £2.5 m and TB and or Gus wouldnt pay it.

VVD was on £30K a week wages at Celtic when our best players were earning a basic of under £20K a week. Probably worth the extra but FFP. Transfer to Celtic more like £4.6 m. wiki says £2.6 m though.

and NO to Chalov.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
VVD was on £30K a week wages at Celtic when our best players were earning a basic of under £20K a week. Probably worth the extra but FFP. Transfer to Celtic more like £4.6 m.

and NO to Chalov.

& risked a dressing room revolt if we had of signed Van Dijk.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My memory of this is that the player completely refused to consider joining a Championship club. We were never in the running.

Strangely any in the know accounts of who was or wasn't to blame, just sound like the usual suspects talking complete self-important, self delusional b-locks.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
How many more times if we had HAVE not if we had OF

I think we are fighting a losing battle.

There is a whole generation who really missed out on grammar education. They also say can I get rather than can I have.:annoyed::annoyed:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports