Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FC United of Manchester

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Fair play to them, and I'm looking forward to watching the game tonight.

If they had refused to go ahead with tonights tv game then they would have cost Rochdale a few grand as well, so I don't really understand the sniping at them for this. What they have achieved is remarkable, and took a lot of hard work. Whoever wins the game tonight it will be one of football's good guys.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
Can't they just support Rochdale or bury or am I missing the point?

cant afc wimbledon fans just support fulham or palace or am i missing the point?

Aug 21, 2006
Royal Arsenal
Yes. Yes you are. Big time.

Totally wrong.

Both of you, take a look at their website; read their history and have a look at how they're structured with regard to ownership. See what their views about sponsorship and also player behaviour standards. They are anything but another non-league club.

I know all about them. One of their fans went to our game at milton keynes last season and I had a really good chat with him about it all in one of those shitey wetherspoons up from the station. He was a die hard United fan and it killed him to now follow FC United. I understand it all, but I still think far too much is being made of it. I wish them good luck, but as much as i wish any club I have no affinity with good luck.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
There's something about FC united that bugs me. I can't put my finger on it, but they just don't seem the real deal, unlike say AFC Wimbledon.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
There's something about FC united that bugs me. I can't put my finger on it, but they just don't seem the real deal, unlike say AFC Wimbledon.

It's probably 'cause they're Northeners and Northerners just come across as a bit shifty.

I have the opposite view, I really don't like AFC. The way they went behind Kingstonian's back to buy out their ground off the dodgy bloke who owned it (when Kingstonian fans were supposed to have first refusal and had just started raising the funds for it) really rankles.

I admire FCUM's chutzpah. From deliberately choosing a sweary acronymn ("f*** 'em" - ie the Glaziers et al) to deliberately picking Newton Heath (where Man U were formed) as the site for their proposed new ground. Good on FCUM I say, and yah boo sucks to AFC.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
It's probably 'cause they're Northeners and Northerners just come across as a bit shifty.

I have the opposite view, I really don't like AFC. The way they went behind Kingstonian's back to buy out their ground off the dodgy bloke who owned it (when Kingstonian fans were supposed to have first refusal and had just started raising the funds for it) really rankles.

I admire FCUM's chutzpah. From deliberately choosing a sweary acronymn ("f*** 'em" - ie the Glaziers et al) to deliberately picking Newton Heath (where Man U were formed) as the site for their proposed new ground. Good on FCUM I say, and yah boo sucks to AFC.

shhhh - you're forgetting that everything to do with man united and their supporters/former supporters has to be shit, and everything about afc wimbledon is the greatest thing in the world :thumbsup:

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

They actually did the opposite - they could have taken over Leigh RMI but decided it would be wrong.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west

I thought that something like that had happened, they shouldn't have the nickname Wombles...it should be cuckoos!

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Oooop North.....Manchester
I'm hoping to go to the game tonight if I can get there in time from work. They have a great following and the feel of lower league football is much more fun than the tiresome atmospheres at Old Trafford for most games (stretford end excluded!).

As a united fan I can't come to leave my beloved team and switch to FC full time. Can't help who you love I suppose. I do wonder how many of these fans that follow FC are genuine fans though, who have transferred from Manchester United for the reasons the club was initially set up. Iv been to a few FC games and believe alot of the fans are there as they're in a catchment space (bury) that allows them to have some link to United when otherwise they wouldn't bother, and it makes them feel a bit rebellious. I'm not disputing that there is a nucleus of Old Trafford old timers but the size of this is questionable.

Still, It's a good excuse go get out with the lads, have a few beers and watch some football. That's how i treat it anyways. Good luck boys!

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Well it pisses Sir Alex off enough for him to storm out of interviews when questioned about them.

They prick his conscience.

He hasn't got a conscience.

Pisses off Taggart? Check

Embarrasses ManU? Check

Takes local fans away from those tossers? Check

I think I like them.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I'm hoping to go to the game tonight if I can get there in time from work. They have a great following and the feel of lower league football is much more fun than the tiresome atmospheres at Old Trafford for most games (stretford end excluded!).

As a united fan I can't come to leave my beloved team and switch to FC full time. Can't help who you love I suppose. I do wonder how many of these fans that follow FC are genuine fans though, who have transferred from Manchester United for the reasons the club was initially set up. Iv been to a few FC games and believe alot of the fans are there as they're in a catchment space (bury) that allows them to have some link to United when otherwise they wouldn't bother, and it makes them feel a bit rebellious. I'm not disputing that there is a nucleus of Old Trafford old timers but the size of this is questionable.

Still, It's a good excuse go get out with the lads, have a few beers and watch some football. That's how i treat it anyways. Good luck boys!

So, you go along to the game, pretend that you support a lower league club (oh bless, how patronising) no doubt pay lip service to some bollocks about trying to reclaim the behemoth that is ManU back for the fans and then go home, forget about all that and carry on support ManU - all the while moaning about but doing nothing to stop the Glazers.

In that case, my opinion of ManU fans has not changed. They are all c unts.

Enjoy the game.

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Ha quite an interesting interpretation of what I meant PMB. I like what FC stand for, but iv been a united supporter for as long as I can remember and can't see that changing. I understand why the club was setup and fans stopped going to OT but it must have taken an awful lot to make them turn their backs on the club. Whilst I don't like the direction that united are heading, for now at least I would prefer to stick by the club and it's decisions. I thought Brighton fans would be sympathetic to that in some way??

I am not pretending to support a lower league club in the slightest, I have a soft spot for FC just the same as I do Brighton and like to keep a lookout for their results. Me going there tonyt would be no different than when I went to watch Brighton the last time I was down there. It's local and is a good evening out. Above all I'm a football fan, not just a united fan, and would go to watch any team I had an interest in play.

For wanting FC to win, just as I hope Brighton win tomorrow I will have no apologies.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Save the patronising comments for another team. You lot talk absolute bollocks about preferring the atmosphere at lower league footie clubs than that at OT. Oh diddums for you. Is it all a bit stale and boring winning the league for the umpteenth time surrounded by people from Surrey, Sweden and Singapore?

I feel your pain, I really do.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Whilst I don't like the direction that united are heading, for now at least I would prefer to stick by the club and it's decisions. I thought Brighton fans would be sympathetic to that in some way??

Brighton fans didn't like what was going on and fought the board to the best of their ability...there is a big difference between the two clubs, our ground was sold from underneath us and the board pocketed the cash, leaving us homeless.

Unless I have missed something here, the Glaziers haven't sold Old Trafford for redevelopment and left the club to play their home games in Liverpool.

Brighton fans kept fighting, they didn't abandon their team, I can't remember anyone going off and forming FC Albion of Brighton.

Football_Friends

Aug 18, 2010
Each to their own PMB. I'll Leave it without wanting to patronise. Don't quite understand the comment

"you lot talk bollocks about preferring the atmosphere at lower league clubs than at OT"

It's fact. You call us plastic, but the ones that hate this very element and won't go to games because you are surrounded by these morons can't win. I was born in Manchester and circumstances have dictated I'm a United fan. As much as you would like to believe we are all glory hunters from London, a lot aren't. Many of us would prefer the feel of a real club, with more real fans so how you come the the conclusion in your quote is beyond me.

But with threads like "no real footie fan wants to see a club go under" I'm not surprised

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Your words: and the feel of lower league football is much more fun than the tiresome atmospheres at Old Trafford for most games (stretford end excluded!).

That's about as patronising as it gets. Am I supposed to feel empathy with you? Am I now supposed to think that ManU fans are in it together with all of us?

Funny, I didn't hear too much moaning when you were winning everything and was awash with cash.

Your club and what it represents is a cancer on English football. The fans of FCUM know that as well as me.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here