Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FC United - bit big for their boots?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Greetings fella's, it's been a fair while since I last posted but in the interests of replying to a scurrelous post by the so called chairman of AFC £ylde lets put things in perspective!!! the week before this game our board members were invited to sit down at the match and enjoy a sumptious four course meal supplied by £ylde, the board refused because as they do at every game they stand on the terraces because as well as being board members they are also fans! i think this upset the £ylde hierachy and resulted in them restricting our numbers ( these numbers being the same as the last time we played there)....that is what started all this garbage off!!!!
the board then made the details of this incident general knowledge to all the FCUM members.......want to hear more??????

So the home team offered the normal pre match niceties which were turned down, they offered the usual quantity of free tickets which was also the quantity they offer every team in their division but were then for 5 more for the reporters / photographers and they issued them (according to the statement on thier website) yet the FCUM board had posted something on a message board saying something different had occured and this seems to have led to some of the FCUM fans forcing their way in and trying to stop some home fans from buying stuff within the ground - any chance you can post or provide a link to this statement by the FCUM board?

Here's a post from our own forum that in my opinion answers and gives a different take on the said article I hope Zorg doesn't mind

Hmm. Club sees FC United cash cow on the horizon. Cash cow doesn't behave as told. Club publicly condemns cash cow as hooligans and thieves.

Waaah waaah. What utterly pathetic behaviour from Fylde.

They condemn officials for not sitting in their fancy director's section, when any FC fan knows our board members and esteemed Presidente always stand with the fans, being, er, fans themselves.

They moan about a nutritionist, but had no problem with the same nutritionist being there last season.

They moan about radio commentators, but seemingly had no problem with the radio guys interviewing their chairman for the NPL Show, which gives their club publicity.

They moan about people boycotting pies and programmes yet make no mention of the packed bar.

They say 'the majority of FC United fans were well behaved and courteous', but they make sure to say it in paragraph 18, right at the end, after a big rant describing us basically as hooligans and thieves.

We're also expected to believe that they have a spare key to the home changing room but not the away changing room. Arf.

I think they still don't grasp that we're all co-owners. There isn't a guy in the suit who tells us how to behave. You have an issue, then go and bring it up with the 1,000, sorry, 400 people behind the goal. Accusing the 'officials' of 'coming out in sympathy with their own fans' - sorry but you don't get it. They ARE fans.

Terrible sour grapes after they got their arses handed to them.

we use the £ylde sign as we normally do for bank rolled clubs

This to me reads that your fans see your club as something other clubs should be grateful for, because they travel in large numbers and the extra revenue that would bring to these small non-league clubs who may or may not be struggling financially and would benefit greatly from it.

Fc Flyde offered what they do to all visiting teams regardless of size and therefore treated FCUM the same as any other team visiting from your division so i don't quite get how you think they were trying to exploit your side as a cash cow? or where they say they were upset that the directors box wasn't used? they merely point out that it was available to FCUM board members / directors who chose instead to stand on the terraces and not to take advantage of what was being offered by Fc Flyde

It does seem bizarre that this has become such an issue and makes you wonder if it would have occured with any other visiting club to Fc Flyde (regardless of size, history, wealth, following, etc)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
[h=2]AFC Fylde Entrance Policy[/h]

AFC Fylde have told us that they will refuse entry to some of our dressing room staff unless they pay at the turnstile for today’s fixture at their ground:

AFC Fylde have sent us the following:

PLAYERS/MANAGEMENT
Passes need to be picked up at Match Day Control. You will be issued with 22 passes (18 for players and 4 for management) for the ground, all others have to pay. Please note all players and management must enter through the “Players and Officials Gate” and present their passes.

We were advised late on Friday before today’s game that Fylde’s policy on the matter is non-negotiable. We took the matter up with the League on Friday afternoon but they were also unable to get Fylde to change their policy.

The League regulations state:

Away clubs must be mindful as to the number of match participants they bring to matches. It has to be accepted that these numbers can vary between clubs so a common sense approach must be taken with regards to numbers. Home clubs must not deny access to the stadium for away club personnel which can include kitmen, physios or a small number of youth team players being exposed to First Team Match Day procedures. If the home club feels their opponents are abusing the privilege they may ask the away club Match Secretary for the names of club personnel who are not on the players team sheet and the club position and if needs be make a report to the League.

Though we can only name 16 players on a teamsheet Karl will usually travel with a match squad of at least 18 players to cover any late injury or illness before naming his playing squad at the game. The travelling party may also include any suspended players and those recovering from injury so that they can gain some attention from our medical team and keeping the squad together. Our first team has three coaches: Daz Lyons, Paul Chapman and Dave Brown. To support the squad we have a kitman, a physio, nutritionist and a conditioning coach. As it stands we will face paying an entry fee for a number of our dressing room staff.

Fylde have said that the matter is non-negotiable. On checking with the League we are informed that this has happened to other clubs this season too and whilst the League will discuss the matter at its management board it is too late to do anything for our game.

We have always found Fylde fans to be a friendly enough bunch and their staff and volunteers have always been courteous and welcoming, we fully expect the same courtesy at the match today too. Despite the restrictions relayed to us by AFC Fylde’s Club Secretary we have the reputation of our own club to think about and expect as ever that FC United fans will remain courteous to everyone that they meet at the ground today.

FC United fans travel in large numbers and we spend thousands of pounds when we visit away team grounds. We have lost track of the number of clubs who have praised our fans for the way we support our team and the money we spend whilst doing so.

AFC Fylde have invited FC United Board members and officials, to a pre-match meal. We have politely declined their offer.

The game today is an important fixture and we know FC United fans will want to attend the match and get behind the team.

Above all else we should show dignity and continue as ever to get behind our team with a song in our throats and a smile on our faces.

News ID ~ 5257First Posted ~ 11:04 Sat 14 Dec 2013Last Updated ~ 11:09 Sat 14 Dec 2013

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/m_story.php?story_id=5257

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
we use the £ylde sign as we normally do for bank rolled clubs
£righton £ £ove £lbion... think it looses something in the translation.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
[h=2]AFC Fylde Entrance Policy[/h]

AFC Fylde have told us that they will refuse entry to some of our dressing room staff unless they pay at the turnstile for today’s fixture at their ground:

AFC Fylde have sent us the following:

PLAYERS/MANAGEMENT
Passes need to be picked up at Match Day Control. You will be issued with 22 passes (18 for players and 4 for management) for the ground, all others have to pay. Please note all players and management must enter through the “Players and Officials Gate” and present their passes.

We were advised late on Friday before today’s game that Fylde’s policy on the matter is non-negotiable. We took the matter up with the League on Friday afternoon but they were also unable to get Fylde to change their policy.

The League regulations state:

Away clubs must be mindful as to the number of match participants they bring to matches. It has to be accepted that these numbers can vary between clubs so a common sense approach must be taken with regards to numbers. Home clubs must not deny access to the stadium for away club personnel which can include kitmen, physios or a small number of youth team players being exposed to First Team Match Day procedures. If the home club feels their opponents are abusing the privilege they may ask the away club Match Secretary for the names of club personnel who are not on the players team sheet and the club position and if needs be make a report to the League.

Though we can only name 16 players on a teamsheet Karl will usually travel with a match squad of at least 18 players to cover any late injury or illness before naming his playing squad at the game. The travelling party may also include any suspended players and those recovering from injury so that they can gain some attention from our medical team and keeping the squad together. Our first team has three coaches: Daz Lyons, Paul Chapman and Dave Brown. To support the squad we have a kitman, a physio, nutritionist and a conditioning coach. As it stands we will face paying an entry fee for a number of our dressing room staff.

Fylde have said that the matter is non-negotiable. On checking with the League we are informed that this has happened to other clubs this season too and whilst the League will discuss the matter at its management board it is too late to do anything for our game.

We have always found Fylde fans to be a friendly enough bunch and their staff and volunteers have always been courteous and welcoming, we fully expect the same courtesy at the match today too. Despite the restrictions relayed to us by AFC Fylde’s Club Secretary we have the reputation of our own club to think about and expect as ever that FC United fans will remain courteous to everyone that they meet at the ground today.

FC United fans travel in large numbers and we spend thousands of pounds when we visit away team grounds. We have lost track of the number of clubs who have praised our fans for the way we support our team and the money we spend whilst doing so.

AFC Fylde have invited FC United Board members and officials, to a pre-match meal. We have politely declined their offer.

The game today is an important fixture and we know FC United fans will want to attend the match and get behind the team.

Above all else we should show dignity and continue as ever to get behind our team with a song in our throats and a smile on our faces.

News ID ~ 5257First Posted ~ 11:04 Sat 14 Dec 2013Last Updated ~ 11:09 Sat 14 Dec 2013

http://www.fc-utd.co.uk/m_story.php?story_id=5257

So it seems that FCUM left it too late to be able to involve the league in trying to change the numbers that FC Flyde allow in without paying which happens to be the same as for all other visiting team (possibly because FC Flyde were late in informing them but also because FCUM didn't inform them of their requirements earlier either) - It has already been brought to the leagues attention that FC Flyde were limiting numbers and the league didn't stop FC Flyde from continuing their standard matchday practice when it came to issuing free passes to players and officials. They weren't breaking league rules and they should be able to set their own policies within those rules (which they have done, even if unpopular with away sides)

Does it justify the board of FCUM making this public and FCUM fans then taking it upon themselves to boycott FC Flyde or to try to bully others into not buying stuff from FC Flyde or forcing their way in without paying? - If they wanted to boycott it, fine, boycott it. To try to stop FC Flyde fans by means of intimidation (if true) is going a bit far if you look at the so called cause of this ill feeling.

Neither side comes out of this that well but i have more sympathy for FC Flyde in this situation (and would have regardless of who the opposition were, and the fact it was FCUM has nothing to do with how my opinion was formed)

Grinch

Dec 9, 2010
I can accept FC not being every ones cup of tea but there's some rubbish spouted about us.

Due to playing at Bury and paying rent, not having a shirt sponsor, no pitch side sponsorship and the concessions inside the ground being owned by a third party we have a bottom 5 pay structure. Some clubs at our level pay stupid amounts of money to get promoted (one of them being Fylde) by having a local business man behind them (their club up to them). We do it by having a membership, one member one vote however much you want to put forward. We also run a scheme of pay what you want for your season ticket.

With regards to why didn't we go and support a local football team, why should we? We all had a United past and we wanted to stand next to someone else who left Old Trafford for the same reasons. Of course we now have supporters of other clubs who support our views and ethos.

Getting back to on topic, Fylde. I suppose as a football club we just expected the same courtesy we give every other club including Fylde. We let them come into the club and whoever gets off the team bus and comes through the player's door gets in for nothing nobody stands there counting heads going through the door. The people mentioned previously on this thread who travel with the club are all volunteers apart from the coaches. We also have the people we do as we try to be as professional as possible is there anything wrong with that? At our level do we not have a duty of care to the players to make sure they're healthy so they can carry on their employment during the week?

Biggest question for me is why FC manage to get posted on your forum unless the original poster is, well, a bit sad?

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Is everyone forgetting that we, Brighton and Hove Albion, are in essence also gaining an unfair advantage over other clubs in our respective league.

We were gifted a £120 million stadium with zero outlay from the Club, we also play at this shiny new stadium rent free, how many other clubs can boast the same?

Our playing budget is where it's at today because of one mans generosity to our/his club, without him I doubt we could afford to compete.

Karma compensation for the Archer years.

Last edited:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
What does the nutritionist do on match days? Decide which brand of chewing gum to use, and cut up the half time orange? Make sure that the tea has the required amount of tea bags and sugar, and enforce the skimmed milk only policy.

Jan 30, 2008
Club Statement - Saturday's game v FC United
DUE TO A NUMBER OF ISSUES THAT HAPPENED ON SATURDAY AND SUBSEQUENT RUMOURS AND INNUENDO FLYING AROUND ON BOTH THE FC UNITED FORUM AND FYLDE’S, WE FELT IT NECESSARY TO PUT OUT A FULL STATEMENT OF THE FACTS.

Saturday was a pretty bad day for AFC Fylde not because of the defeat but because of the intimidating atmosphere that existed from the minute FC United fans started arriving at the ground. All of which we believe could have been avoided had their committee acted in a more thoughtful manner.

The background that led up to what happened is important.

Click for the rest: http://www.afcfylde.co.uk/latest-news/archive/2013/December/017.php
M.I.B or the left overs and fraying around the edges red army ???
regards
DR

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Biggest question for me is why FC manage to get posted on your forum unless the original poster is, well, a bit sad?

Because it's a bit more than a BHAFC forum. Not only is football as a whole regularly discussed but there are threads about cricket and Peter Hitchens and that's just the ones near the top that I've read / contributed to. You're also quite fortunate in being able to come on and defend yourself. There are a lot of other message boards where you simply wouldn't be able to, at least not in the main forum or without jumping through significant hoops.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003

Been called worse to be honest.

Seems like everyone at FCUM has an official role. I'm guessing you're the fluffer?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I've had the privilege of watching FCUM play a couple of times when I couldn't get down to the Amex, and I loved every minute of it.

They are loud, they do sing a lot, they could be seen as intimidating..........but only if you are a member of the permanently outraged. Anyone else, who wants to have an experience as close as possible to the atmosphere of the 70's that so many on here reminisce about, without the dickheaded violence, should just give them a chance by watching FCUM play. In my opinion there is an element of self policing about the fans' behaviour. If someone steps over the line then the vast majority make it clear that such behaviour isn't welcome.

They bring big numbers, big income and big noise to all the non-league grounds they visit.

We're famous in Brighton for being tolerant, why not give FCUM a chance?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I've had the privilege of watching FCUM play a couple of times when I couldn't get down to the Amex, and I loved every minute of it.

They are loud, they do sing a lot, they could be seen as intimidating..........but only if you are a member of the permanently outraged. Anyone else, who wants to have an experience as close as possible to the atmosphere of the 70's that so many on here reminisce about, without the dickheaded violence, should just give them a chance by watching FCUM play. In my opinion there is an element of self policing about the fans' behaviour. If someone steps over the line then the vast majority make it clear that such behaviour isn't welcome.

They bring big numbers, big income and big noise to all the non-league grounds they visit.

We're famous in Brighton for being tolerant, why not give FCUM a chance?

If they were JUST a noisy, lefty self policing antidote to modern football then I probably would. But the fact is they are where they are precisely because of the Man Utd brand. At least a tiny bit ironic no?

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
If they were JUST a noisy, lefty self policing antidote to modern football then I probably would. But the fact is they are where they are precisely because of the Man Utd brand. At least a tiny bit ironic no?

Not really. Would it be any difference it they had been set up by a different set of fans who were unhappy with what was happening to the stewardship and integrity of their club, such as FC Wimbledon.

FCUM are a community club, have a constitution preventing ownership by an individual, and it's a great day out. There is resentment amongst the more traditional clubs in their division because they are different, they aren't everyone's cup of tea if you want a ten minute stroll to see your local club play in front of a couple of hundred with your mates in relative peace and quiet.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Been called worse to be honest.

Seems like everyone at FCUM has an official role. I'm guessing you're the fluffer?

Sounds to me that most people from FCUM seem to think they are in the PR section however " You played Fylde and you F***** it up !...."

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
You first mentioned attendances in your post #49 as your only justification so far to back up your claim that they have 'vastly greater' resources than everyone else in their league. This is the only point I've picked you up on regarding evidence that they have greater resources, and you've started spinning yarns about comparisons to Worthing etc. etc. you get all this going as you're unable to back up a point, then try to turn it on me...

Classic Buzzer. Bushy will be along in a minute to say how brilliant you are.
There's not really any need , he (easily) makes you look a bit of a mug, and everyone can see it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here